New booking - Promotions. (help out a HAL newbie!)

We have a deposit on a cruise for late next year.

We did request non-refundable, for sure! But wanted to get something on the books.

We then did the Flash Sale $1.00 deposit. So, hopefully nothing risked.

Here is my question:

Do you experts think that it will be advantageous for us to look at the upcoming promotions.

I believe the other promotions so far, from this Spring, required large, and/or non-refundable deposits.

So, for example... Would we be be able to switch to Explore 4 if we decide that it is worth any extra costs. Assuming that the fare will increase.....

Would we still be able to make sure our booking is refundable, until final payment?

Thanks for any insight!

We have a deposit on a cruise for late next year.

We did request non-refundable, for sure! But wanted to get something on the books.

We then did the Flash Sale $1.00 deposit. So, hopefully nothing risked.

Here is my question:

Do you experts think that it will be advantageous for us to look at the upcoming promotions.

I believe the other promotions so far, from this Spring, required large, and/or non-refundable deposits.

So, for example... Would we be be able to switch to Explore 4 if we decide that it is worth any extra costs. Assuming that the fare will increase.....

Would we still be able to make sure our booking is refundable, until final payment?

Thanks for any insight!

Yes, you can take advantage of other promos as long as you haven’t made final payment. But you’ll probably want to speak with a HAL booking agent to make sure you’re getting the best deal. They’re very good at helping you evaluate the different promos. But you’ll most likely have to pay a larger deposit on any other offer. However, I never worry about the “reduced” deposit offers because you have to eventually pay for everything anyway and a higher deposit means paying less at the end. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I constantly monitor the deals/fares on my cruise after booking. When a better deal comes along, I will ask to be rebooked under the new promotion and it takes my HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant) just minutes to do this. Of course, this only works if you are prior to final payment (after final payment, I still would ask HAL if there is anything they can do for me and often they will give you a free upgrade or perhaps some OBC$).

Further, if the price of the cruise just drops a few dollars (for example $20 pp), I still call my HAL PCC and get the adjustment. HAL is constantly doing these minor adjustments, so it happens more often than you might think. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 minor adjustments on the same cruise. Again, my PCC does it in minutes (I usually just email her on this) and I get a revised cruise confirmation.

I do this on hotels and car rentals as well - you would be surprised on how much you can save, especially when your original booking is fairly far out.

The best way to help out a newbie is to encourage them at some point to just let go - set your budget, and stop worrying about how to best game the system. Your time is money too.

I am no newbie and respectfully disagree.

Like Dave OKC, I keep my eye on my hotels and my cruise. I saved substantial money last cruise because I did this.

Other times, the early booking has been the best price. In any case, it doesn't hurt to check if one is so inclined and wants to do it and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it ;). After final payment is another story.

Like Dave OKC, I keep my eye on my hotels and my cruise. I saved substantial money last cruise because I did this.

Other times, the early booking has been the best price. In any case, it doesn't hurt to check if one is so inclined and wants to do it and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it ;). After final payment is another story.

You identified a good point to let go - after final booking. I set mine a little earlier. No disagreement.

Jeez... the one thing I really wanted to know is whether one can book Explore 4 with a refundable deposit. And maybe if there has usually been a big fare increase with this promo. Hhhhmmmm... didn't get any insight or info on either of those things....

I had posted, especially since I am seeing other current threads all about the upcoming Explore 4. (Clearly, you have to get out the calculator and come up with the bottom line to see if a new promo works better for you.)

How about this.... I won't get my knickers in a wad over my cruise planning, if you guys will make an effort to not get your knickers in a wad, over some complete and total strangers cruise planning, just because a HAL newbie, who is more familiar with their regular cruise line, asks a question about cruise planning. No need to throw shade here, people.

And we saw all of the whining and complaining and judgment already, about the $1.00 deposit... I certainly do not need to relive that negativity all over again. When we are planning this many months/years out... yes, keeping that money in our accounts and working for us, instead of HAL, can make a real difference.

Anybody who advises to 'let go' of any planning, a year or more before a cruise... will simply not get any consideration on my part.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Jeez... the one thing I really wanted to know is whether one can book Explore 4 with a refundable deposit. And maybe if there has usually been a big fare increase with this promo. Hhhhmmmm... didn't get any insight or info on either of those things....

I had posted, especially since I am seeing other current threads all about the upcoming Explore 4. (Clearly, you have to get out the calculator and come up with the bottom line to see if a new promo works better for you.)

How about this.... I won't get my knickers in a wad over my cruise planning, if you guys will make an effort to not get your knickers in a wad, over some complete and total strangers cruise planning, just because a HAL newbie, who is more familiar with their regular cruise line, asks a question about cruise planning. No need to throw shade here, people.

And we saw all of the whining and complaining and judgment already, about the $1.00 deposit... I certainly do not need to relive that negativity all over again. When we are planning this many months/years out... yes, keeping that money in our accounts and working for us, instead of HAL, can make a real difference.

Anybody who advises to 'let go' of any planning, a year or more before a cruise... will simply not get any consideration on my part.

I had posted, especially since I am seeing other current threads all about the upcoming Explore 4. (Clearly, you have to get out the calculator and come up with the bottom line to see if a new promo works better for you.)QUOTE]

Well, I guess I will get my knickers in a wad since I think your latest comment is pretty harsh especially since you were the one asking for help. I didn’t see anyone “whining and complaining” about the $1.00 deposit, just me indicating that you would most likely need to pay a higher deposit if you changed to a different promo. It was intended as a “heads up”, not a negative statement. Good for you that you only paid $1.00 at this time. As far as Explore 4 pricing, your first post was hardly as specific as your follow up question. So, yes, you can book Explore 4 with a refundable deposit and yes the pricing will go up and down during the year (or two) prior to your departure date.

Well, I guess I will get my knickers in a wad since I think your latest comment is pretty harsh especially since you were the one asking for help. I didn’t see anyone “whining and complaining” about the $1.00 deposit, just me indicating that you would most likely need to pay a higher deposit if you changed to a different promo. It was intended as a “heads up”, not a negative statement. Good for you that you only paid $1.00 at this time. As far as Explore 4 pricing, your first post was hardly as specific as your follow up question. So, yes, you can book Explore 4 with a refundable deposit and yes the pricing will go up and down during the year (or two) prior to your departure date.

I think you may missed the previous thread that the OP is referencing. Pretty sure it was before you started posting on this forum. It got quite acrimonious.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628813&highlight=%241+deposit

No kidding! I spend 2 mins/day checking hotels and cruise price when we have something booked. It always saves us money. It is definitely a worthwhile use of my time.

Wow!

You know, SOME people are ARE advising and helping.

So short answer - yes you can book Explore4 with a refundable deposit when and if it is offered. Sometimes the price goes up a lot, and sometimes there is not a lot of change. Depends on the cruise.

And if you want help, I suggest you keep your knickers out of the knot they are already in.

You get more flies with honey ;)

You can do your own math when it comes out. My reply has nothing to do with being a HAL newbie, it has to do with the tone of your post.

Edited by kazu

I think you may missed the previous thread that the OP is referencing. Pretty sure it was before you started posting on this forum. It got quite acrimonious.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628813&highlight=%241+deposit

You are correct, I did not see the previous thread. But it still doesn’t excuse his harsh comments. And holding onto grudges from previous threads in how you respond to a new thread is just juvenile. New question, new responses. Totally unrelated. And why bother asking a question if you’re really not interested in the response?

Wow!

You know, SOME people are ARE advising and helping.

So short answer - yes you can book Explore4 with a refundable deposit when and if it is offered. Sometimes the price goes up a lot, and sometimes there is not a lot of change. Depends on the cruise.

And if you want help, I suggest you keep your knickers out of the knot they are already in.

You get more flies with honey ;)

You can do your own math when it comes out. My reply has nothing to do with being a HAL newbie, it has to do with the tone of your post.

Excellent response! Much better than mine! [emoji483]

I have added Explore 4 for one previously booked cruise and the fare did not change at all. I added the current promo to a cruise booked for next year and the rate dropped considerably.

If you change from one to another you have to decide if the cost difference and added benefits work for you.

Some promos, like the Cruise month credit stay regardless of which special I flip to.