PVP question

teague38

That makes no sense. What TA would accept a booked cruise? They can't get paid for a new booking.

They do get paid for transferred bookings. They have a window of time to get the booking transferred from Carnival to the TA though, but they will collect their commission for sure.

It’s one of those rules in place to maintain good relations with TA’s who may have been working with a guest, who then goes directly with Carnival to make the booking, not realizing that the TA won’t get paid for all the time they’ve put in. Many guests are unaware of the way TA commissions work, which is why rules like this one that protect TA’s exist.

The booking transfer option allows TA’s to avert these scenarios, but there are some TA’s who don’t do any legwork and then just try to attract already booked guests with OBC’s and other perks. Not what this rule was created for, but one that some TA’s definitely take advantage of. Easy money for them with very little effort. And unfortunately, some of them provide poor or non-existent customer service after the booking has been transferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do get paid for transferred bookings. They have a window of time to get the booking transferred from Carnival to the TA though, but they will collect their commission for sure.

It’s one of those rules in place to maintain good relations with TA’s who may have been working with a guest, who then goes directly with Carnival to make the booking, not realizing that the TA won’t get paid for all the time they’ve put in. Many guests are unaware of the way TA commissions work, which is why rules like this one that protect TA’s exist.

The booking transfer option allows TA’s to avert these scenarios, but there are some TA’s who don’t do any legwork and then just try to attract already booked guests with OBC’s and other perks. Not what this rule was created for, but one that some TA’s definitely take advantage of. Easy money for them with very little effort. And unfortunately, some of them provide poor or non-existent customer service after the booking has been transferred.

Thanks

My first 2 cruises I found what I wanted online and then called the PVP who had been leaving me voicemails to call them to actually book the cruise. This time I was brave and just booked it online myself instead of calling the PVP to do it for me, not knowing if I didn't let them book it that I lost them. After booking an OV I decided I wanted to upgrade to a balcony and called the PVP and he said he couldn't help me because I had booked online so he had to transfer me to customer service to get it done so I guess my question is...if you book online is there anyway to get a PVP assigned or are you just out of luck? I would rather deal with the PVP when I have any questions or if there is a price drop and call in for it. I guess from now on I will call and let them do the actual booking.:confused:

You don't need a PVP.

I'm confused. I can see that some of you love your PVP but I've never been able to figure out what value they provide. I used one for our upcoming cruise and I've never heard from her again.

When we had a couple of price drops, I called her to adjust our price. After we played phone tag a couple of times, she informed me that I didn't have to call her for this service; I could just call the customer service line.

We did receive two or three emailed upgrade offers over several months, but these appeared to be generic mailings from Carnival, not coming from our PVP.

I can view and book excursions, Steakhouse and other things online, so how does it help to have a PVP?

It seems that if you are lucky enough to have found a good PVP, you are happy and that is the only way to go for you. It also seems that if you have been lucky enough to have found a good TA with free service and no cancellation fees, you are happy and that is the only way to go for you.

The problem is in how many not so good ones of either you have to go through to find a good one. Everyone knows that recommendations cannot be made on this forum but simply stating we will have to look “elsewhere” for guidance is not a helpful comment. It’s just rubbing it in how lucky you have been, but oh so sorry, I can’t help you.

I'm confused. I can see that some of you love your PVP but I've never been able to figure out what value they provide. I used one for our upcoming cruise and I've never heard from her again.

When we had a couple of price drops, I called her to adjust our price. After we played phone tag a couple of times, she informed me that I didn't have to call her for this service; I could just call the customer service line.

We did receive two or three emailed upgrade offers over several months, but these appeared to be generic mailings from Carnival, not coming from our PVP.

I can view and book excursions, Steakhouse and other things online, so how does it help to have a PVP?

It doesn't. It's 2018. You can do almost everything online. You don't need to wait on the phone to talk to someone. In the few cases you need to make a call, there's no difference between a GOOD PVP and GOOD TA. Don't compare a good PVP to a bad TA and vice versa. Also, a good TA is invaluable when you DON'T cruise the same line. I used to sail NCL exclusively until I got fed up with them. I'm doing Carnival this year and RC next year.

It seems that if you are lucky enough to have found a good PVP, you are happy and that is the only way to go for you. It also seems that if you have been lucky enough to have found a good TA with free service and no cancellation fees, you are happy and that is the only way to go for you.

The problem is in how many not so good ones of either you have to go through to find a good one. Everyone knows that recommendations cannot be made on this forum but simply stating we will have to look “elsewhere” for guidance is not a helpful comment. It’s just rubbing it in how lucky you have been, but oh so sorry, I can’t help you.

Well being you know we can’t straight up give you a name, tell you to email us by putting our email address in a post, or by you posting your email address, then unfortunately that’s all we can say. I wouldn’t be truthful if I said call Carnival and ask for one and they will give you a super PVP because I have no idea. If you were friends with someone outside of here, then I’m sure they would be more than happy to share. I know I would. But I can’t exactly straight up give you any more info than what I already have without getting in trouble. Doing a little bit of detective work from your computer could render what you seek.

It doesn't. It's 2018. You can do almost everything online. You don't need to wait on the phone to talk to someone.

The key word being “almost”. There are things that I need done on my bookings which always require a live person. The fact that my PVP already has all of my credentials and preferences stored, makes booking through her much faster and efficient than going online. One quick text to her is normally all it takes. She does the rest.

The way I see it, having the services of a PVP is an added perk already included in the cost of the cruise. Why not take advantage of it?

The key word being “almost”. There are things that I need done on my bookings which always require a live person. The fact that my PVP already has all of my credentials and preferences stored, makes booking through her much faster and efficient than going online. One quick text to her is normally all it takes. She does the rest.

The way I see it, having the services of a PVP is an added perk already included in the cost of the cruise. Why not take advantage of it?

Yep and I don’t even need to sit on the phone. I have his cell and can text him exactly what I want or need and it’s done. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

It doesn't. It's 2018. You can do almost everything online. You don't need to wait on the phone to talk to someone.

One more thing crossed my mind. That bookings can be made online doesn’t mean that some people should be booking their cruises this way.

Take for example my friends. They had gone online and booked a cruise on the Carnival Fantasy (their second cruise ever). 2 cabins with two guests in each. They then called us to invite us to join them on that cruise. So I called my PVP and asked her to make our bookings and link them to our friends. My PVP alerted me that a) our friends had booked the same guest twice in each cabin, b) they had booked a different date than what they’d told us, and c) they’d booked under a reduced deposit / non refundable deposit which required a penalty to make changes and correct the errors.

I contacted my friends and told them about the issues with their bookings and that they’d probably need to pay extra money to get them rectified. They panicked when I told them so they begged for my help.

I called my PVP and asked if she could help them out. Now, remember that my friend’s bookings were made online so my PVP would not be getting any money or credit for them, but she still went ahead and got in touch with a supervisor who rectified the names, and changed the sailing date. The supervisor waived any change fees as a good will gesture with the clear understanding that it would be done only one time to rectify the errors made during the initial booking. Our PVP also realized that they qualified for a $25 OBC promo so she applied it to both of their cabins.

Had our friends not invited us to join them on their cruise, they probably would’ve not realized the booking errors they made until who knows when, probably at a time when it would’ve been much costlier or too late to rectify them.

Long story short, not everybody is as computer savvy, or as knowledgeable about fares and promotions, or about cruising in general as many of us who frequent Cruise Critic. For them, it’s much better to have someone who can assist them over the phone, even if that option seems more tedious or antiquated than booking online.

Edited by Tapi

I also have a similar story like that except mine went even further. I can’t say because I don’t want to get him in trouble or have others try and get him to do the same thing for them as many of us use the same guy. I agree that a great PVP can make all the difference. Even as careful as I am on the computer, it’s easier for him to do it. I’ll call or text him what I want and bam! Done.

I agree that a great PVP can make all the difference.

It’s always good to have a professional set of eyes making sure that everything is correct.

I knew that my friends should’ve used professional help when they called me to invite us on their cruise. When I asked what ship, they said “I don’t know, it’s the one that goes to Cozumel”. Then I asked for the name of the specific ship and they said “the Carnival”. It took me a bit of investigative work to figure that one out. [emoji23]

It’s always good to have a professional set of eyes making sure that everything is correct.

I knew that my friends should’ve used professional help when they called me to invite us on their cruise. When I asked what ship, they said “I don’t know, it’s the one that goes to Cozumel”[emoji23]. It took me a bit of investigative work to figure that one out.

Oh boy! It gets me when all my friends and family know that I’m a cruising fanatic and they go and book and tell me about it later. Then I have to tell them their cabin is in an awful spot despite the TA telling them it’s great because it’s “the best available upgrade, blah, blah, blah”.

The latest that I found out about last month is my 2 girlfriends that went on Vista with me last year decided to book a cruise in October. On Princess. Now mind you, these are the ones that Carnival lost money on with their Cheers packages. They like to PARTY. When I asked them why in Heaven’s name would they pick Princess, the other one said “I don’t know it’s what she picked. Do they have unlimited drinks and all the parties and stuff?” I was like “OMG you guys are gonna hate it! Why in the world didn’t you stick to Carnival or RC? And most of all why didn’t you call me first?!” So there’s that. Good luck to them! I just don’t get it.

Well good news. I just talked to one of them and they decided not to. Shew! Dodged a bullet there! LOL!

Edited by firemanbobswife