please help me with non refundable deposit

melsmom303

I have changed several cruises lately that had non-refundable deposits. I cancelled the cruises and made new bookings. I received an email from Carnival after each cancellation telling me that if I booked another cruise within 24 months, I would receive $98 (deposit was $198) towards the cost of the new cruise. There was a web address to click on and go to a form to enter my name, the cancelled cruise booking number, sailing date, new booking number, sailing date. Within a couple of days I went to my cruise manager details and the $98 had been deducted from the cost of the cruise. You don't see it as a line item, but if you add up the cruise fare and port changes, the new total is $98 less than what the total was before. Yes, I lost $100 each time, but at least recouped half of the deposit.

Some have reported that if you cancel and rebook in the same call that they were able to get the credit applied to the new deposit. I don’t have any personal experience with that, but I’ve seen it posted in here.

I'm one of those. No problem, the nonrefundable $250 deposit was applied to a new cruise in the same call, minus $100 penalty. She didn't even ask me to add to the $150 to make it the usual $250 deposit. I booked the new cruise with just the $150 credit.

The only thing CS couldn't handle right away was the Gift Cards I had used to pay for Internet and excursions on the canceled cruise. I had to wait for new GC's to be made and mailed to me.

ty i will just call when we choose a new date . thank goodness i did not use any gift cards for payments

Yep, and that's why I decided to include that info. It is possible to get those refunded too (with no loss of value), but for me it took more than a week.

I changed my booking with a non refundable deposit to a completely different ship, itinerary and date last week and the CS rep I called at the 800 number was able to just transfer my deposit to the new booking. I kept the same booking number as well. According to the CS rep, she was able to do it because it was less than 24 hours since I had made the original booking.