What determines upgrade offers?

Next month we are sailing on Grandeur to Bermuda ( our fourth RCI cruise ) along with extended family (their first ever cruise). Last week, my sister got a call with an upgrade offer which she declined. I personally would've jumped on the offer; anyway, I called the next day, and they said there were no upgrades available. Now, I do understand that there are probably a very limited number of those available and they obviously found takers during that time period. My question is, how is it determined to whom those offers are extended? Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it completely random? I would think upgrade offers would be made to repeat customers first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends on if you have selected that option under your RC preferences. Before you could set Yourself. Now you have to call RC and have them set your preferences.

Next month we are sailing on Grandeur to Bermuda ( our fourth RCI cruise ) along with extended family (their first ever cruise). Last week, my sister got a call with an upgrade offer which she declined. I personally would've jumped on the offer; anyway, I called the next day, and they said there were no upgrades available. Now, I do understand that there are probably a very limited number of those available and they obviously found takers during that time period. My question is, how is it determined to whom those offers are extended? Is there any rhyme or reason, or is it completely random? I would think upgrade offers would be made to repeat customers first.

If there is a rhyme or reason, the company has not publicly revealed it.

There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason. I would assume company need, Crown & Anchor status, price paid go into it along with other unknown factors. Or it could just be random luck.

While “priority complimentary upgrades” and “priority upsells” are listed as a C&A perk we all know that it doesn’t happen that way. Several years ago they did “publish” a “order” list. I don’t have it in the right order I am sure....but it was supposed to be something like:

C&A tier

Price paid

Date booked

I don’t think it has ever happened based on that criteria. I have heard of Pinnacles never offered an upgrade or up sell. I have heard of many first time cruisers given complimentary upgrades.

These days it is up to the Revenue Dept to issue the “upgrade” (complimentary or up sell”. I have said for years that it is ridiculous with today’s technology that the Revenue Dept can’t work with the C&A Dept to make these offerings. (We are talking RC technology though!😬)

Here is a poll on this subject:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2638761

Just returned from Western Caribbean on Liberty of the Seas. There were 3 of us booked in a balcony room with a pull-out bed. The day before we flew out, I received a call from RC and they said they needed our quad room, and could they substitute 2 balcony rooms next door to each other. Did I hesitate to accept their offer? HECK NO! Did I get a room to myself? HECK YES!

This was my first cruise and it was a certificate cruise (from Beau Rivage in Biloxi, MS) to boot!

Just returned from Western Caribbean on Liberty of the Seas. There were 3 of us booked in a balcony room with a pull-out bed. The day before we flew out, I received a call from RC and they said they needed our quad room, and could they substitute 2 balcony rooms next door to each other. Did I hesitate to accept their offer? HECK NO! Did I get a room to myself? HECK YES!

This was my first cruise and it was a certificate cruise (from Beau Rivage in Biloxi, MS) to boot!

Good score! Extra room, extra REAL bed & extra bathroom...