Marseille -help with itinerary

Hello,

We are just about ready to sail on Symphony of the Seas on 6/22/18. Looking for things to do in

Marseille. CAn you please suggest a good place for lunch? My son really wants to try French food and I am a little nervous on how to get to Aix de Provence. Any suggestions locally where i can get I good lunch? He also wanted to see cheese shop. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

We are just about ready to sail on Symphony of the Seas on 6/22/18. Looking for things to do in

Marseille. CAn you please suggest a good place for lunch? My son really wants to try French food and I am a little nervous on how to get to Aix de Provence. Any suggestions locally where i can get I good lunch? He also wanted to see cheese shop. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Port of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

I agree - go to Aix. We actually booked a ship tour and you could walk with the guide or just wander around yourself as they told us what time to be back for the return. Not as cheap as doing it yourself but if you are nervous about DIY then this is a good solution- it wasn’t very expensive as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How far is it and how did you get there?

Take the Train; About a 45 minute trip from marseille; Super easy to get to the train station;

Cab from the ship to Marseille; St Charles Train station to Aux de Povence; Walk around, have a baquette, eat lunch, etc

How did you get to Aix?

Follow the line from the ship to the free shuttle bus.Take the free shuttle bus which drops off at the port entrance.. Joliette square. Cross the square to the metro station. Think it was 3 euros return. Take the metro to St Charles station (2 stops) and catch the bus to Aix which runs every 10-15 minutes.Think the bus was 10 euros return.

Edited by maryann2

I went to Cassis. The most perfect little French fishing village you could imagine.

Another vote for Cassis here.

Absolutely lovely fishing village, think we got there on a Royal shore excursion.

How did you get to Aix?

There were five of us and we booked a private driver. Not only did he drive us but took us to all the places we wanted to see, especially for a really good French local spot to eat. We came back with wonderful local items. It was well worth the money. He picked us up right at the port and planned the day around what we wanted to do and see.

We took the RC tour, which was an interesting narrated coach ride over to Aix, then time to wander around, visit the street market. It's a beautiful town, well worth the visit. If you are nervous about going very far from the ship independently then just take the ship tour.

I would suggest taking a tour or at least going to Aix. We made the mistake of going in to Marseille to eat & walk around. We were accosted by beggars--one had me up against a wall demanding money while another one went after my mother. It was the only truly scary experience we've ever had in many trips to Europe.