NCL Baltic Sea Cruise and Getting on in Wernemunde

nycouples3

Sailing on NCL in September and getting on in Wernemunde. Learned from reviews that this is actually Day 2 of the cruise.

Anyone who sailed previously with the same embarkation port, can you please provide your experience? Is there anything we should know?

Sailing on NCL in September and getting on in Wernemunde. Learned from reviews that this is actually Day 2 of the cruise.

Anyone who sailed previously with the same embarkation port, can you please provide your experience? Is there anything we should know?

Yes, your cruise on the Breakaway actually commences in Copenhagen. The port of Warnemunde is day #2.

How do you plan on arriving to Warnemunde? Will you be coming from Berlin (Warnemunde is about 2.5 - 3 hours from Berlin)?

Edited by dogs4fun

Yes, your cruise on the Breakaway actually commences in Copenhagen. The port of Warnemunde is day #2.

How do you plan on arriving to Warnemunde? Will you be coming from Berlin (Warnemunde is about 2.5 - 3 hours from Berlin)?

Isn't this ship the Getaway?

Ah - so the Getaway will be back in the Baltics for the 2019 season. I wonder why NCL is playing 'musical chairs' with the ships ...

Breakaway came over for a dry dock before it started Baltic Season. Guessing that is the reason for the switch this year

Breakaway came over for a dry dock before it started Baltic Season. Guessing that is the reason for the switch this year

Thanks

And I see that you have a NCL Baltic cruise coming up in July - enjoy - it is a wonderful itinerary! :)

Yes but we are flying into Berlin the day before, immediately taking the train to Rostock and staying overnight in Rostock. Supposedly 6 miles from the port.

we are sailing Baltics in a month and chose to sail from Warnemunde so we can spend 3 days pre cruise in Berlin rather than a rushed port day from Warnemunde

will report back

We're doing the same thing in September. How are you doing the transfers to and from Warnemunde?

We're doing the same thing in September. How are you doing the transfers to and from Warnemunde?

we are getting train from Berlin to Rostock direct then local train to Warnemunde

booked direct online at Bahn.com

they do group discounts so for our group of 4 its about 60 euros each way total

Hi NYcouples,

We're just back from our sailing on the Breakaway and while we did choose to board in Copenhagen, I can share some helpful perspective, I hope! Yes, the day in Rostock is technically Day 2 on the ship itinerary. So, you will miss the "Welcome Aboard" show in the theater and the big group safety muster (they do a special muster for the folks who board in Rostock), and some welcome aboard announcements, but other than that, I don't think you'll notice any difference. We didn't bother going to the Welcome Aboard show anyway! Obviously, your morning in Copenhagen at the end of your cruise, will be an early and noisy one with the majority of passengers disembarking and all the announcements starting around 7 am, but you will want to get up and go get the most out of your day there anyway. And as other posters recommended, you'll probably want to reserve show tickets and any must-have Specialty Dining reservations on line in advance.

I think it's unusual that NCL offers boarding in two different ports like this, also coming from the U.S., it was confusing for us to choose and the pricing was different too. I guess, there is a large enough marketing target population of Germans and others who can conveniently drive to the port that it is worth it to make it an official embarkation port. In the end, because we wanted more time in both Berlin and Copenhagen, we ended up traveling for 6 days pre cruise in Belgium and Germany, then flew from Berlin to Copenhagen on Easy Jet (flight was literally about $40 per person). Also, because the pricing and promotions were better if we boarded in Copenhagen.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Enjoy the sailing! It's fantastic!

Lynne

We did the cruise from Warnemünde, I wish we hadn’t, it is day 2 of the cruise, we didn’t get the welcome to the Haven talk etc, the big problem is when Copenhagen comes round, the ships staff thinks you’re cruise is over? To get back on at Copenhagen was a nightmare, staff trying to get us too fill out health forms, queuing with the new passengers, the staff just don’t get your still on holiday, and if one more idiot says welcome abroad!!

We did the cruise from Warnemünde, I wish we hadn’t, it is day 2 of the cruise, we didn’t get the welcome to the Haven talk etc, the big problem is when Copenhagen comes round, the ships staff thinks you’re cruise is over? To get back on at Copenhagen was a nightmare, staff trying to get us too fill out health forms, queuing with the new passengers, the staff just don’t get your still on holiday, and if one more idiot says welcome abroad!!

did you not get the "in transit/still on vacation stickers they give you when on back to back?

Made no difference, spotted a gent with a sticker on? what idiot wants to walk around with a sticker on saying Still on vacation? They should have suitable boarding applications for people still on the cruise.