Leaving PC on I95

Ok - I was wondering if the 4th holiday /summer traffic is typically bad?

We are in NC and we drove down via I95 last year the Saturday before the 4th of July. The trip should have taken us 9 hours but it took us over 12 hours to get down there. We went back up I95 on the Saturday after the 4th and it took us the normal amount of time. We hit a lot of beach traffic through SC (we go I77 to 26 to I95) and it was smooth sailing until we got on I95. I really wish SC would expand I95 to at least 3 lanes.

We moved from Miami to South Carolina 2 years ago so we've been back and forth quite a few times. If there's a wreck, I 95 will back up for an hour or so, otherwise it flows with the speed limit (or above). The only place we get nervous is going through Jacksonville - you'd better be in the correct lane or you'll end up in no where land. Beware of the bridges going through Georgia - they all have a good bump at the beginning and end. We noticed last week that the trees in the median from exit 8 in South Carolina on northward on I95 have all been cut down. Pity.

What should I expect of I95 traffic leaving Port Canaveral on Sunday July 8th? (Sunday after 4th of July) Headed north back to South Carolina. Anyone have any guesses?

We live in SC and make the trip fairly often and sometimes in holiday weeks and weekends. I believe you will have a lot of traffic which includes all the people who were in Disney and the beach traffic all up the coast. Once you get to SC it's also terrible because it goes to 2 lanes and that's a nightmare on summer Sundays even without holidays. If you are able, maybe staying overnight in Coco or Titusville and going home Monday instead might make for a more comfortable and less stressful drive!

so far as leaving the port area and getting on 95

I'm a local …. unless there is an accident you will have NO issues

exiting a cruise you are heading AWAY from the beach …. any traffic in the morning is Orlando folks heading TO the beach …. and even then we consider having to wait thru one signal cycle to be a HUGE traffic issue!

your first area of concern is the I-4 merge south of Daytona

got a good traffic app on your phone?????

We moved from Miami to South Carolina 2 years ago so we've been back and forth quite a few times. If there's a wreck, I 95 will back up for an hour or so, otherwise it flows with the speed limit (or above). The only place we get nervous is going through Jacksonville - you'd better be in the correct lane or you'll end up in no where land. Beware of the bridges going through Georgia - they all have a good bump at the beginning and end. We noticed last week that the trees in the median from exit 8 in South Carolina on northward on I95 have all been cut down. Pity.
We have been driving from Sun City Hilton Head in SC -- exit 8. Some tips:

1 -- Take the eastern span of I-295 -- I think it's marked Jacksonville Beaches/Daytona Beach. This exit is after the Jacksonville Airport. I-295 re-joins I-95 south of the main part of the city. We check traffic on I-295 and I-95 n Googlemap and Waze and if there is a traffic on I-295, we will switch to I-95 through the city (we did this Thanksgiving weekend) but we only do it as necessary as it is harder road to drive.

Trees above Exit 8 have been cut because there were so many fatal accidents with people running into trees. I-95 in SC is pretty bad road. We need to get road money to where it is needed instead of to politically connected legislators but I won't get on my soapbox.

SherriZ366: do you mind if I share your soapbox? I know what you're saying, what with all those horrible trees jumping out in front of cars and making them crash. We're on Hilton Head Island so I 95 and 278 are the only roads we travel (ok, maybe a little of Hwy 17 as well) and the roads are in really poor shape. The northbound lanes on I95 are treacherous, especially the right lane. Maybe the 2 cent increase in gas tax that just went into effect will help - (okay, in our dreams....).

Anyway, the OP wanted to know about I 95 so there we have it. Travel with care and look out for all the speeders with Florida license plates!

SherriZ366: do you mind if I share your soapbox? I know what you're saying, what with all those horrible trees jumping out in front of cars and making them crash. We're on Hilton Head Island so I 95 and 278 are the only roads we travel (ok, maybe a little of Hwy 17 as well) and the roads are in really poor shape. The northbound lanes on I95 are treacherous, especially the right lane. Maybe the 2 cent increase in gas tax that just went into effect will help - (okay, in our dreams....).

Anyway, the OP wanted to know about I 95 so there we have it. Travel with care and look out for all the speeders with Florida license plates!

Please feel free to share my soapbox. The roads are terrible. We live in Sun City. We use 170, 315 and 17 to get to Savannah and they are all bad (except where 170 was widened.) 17 is supposed to be widened next year. I can fill you in on roads and the maneuvering of the powers in Columbia. I work for Sen. Tom Davis. If you want to hear more, please email me at sherriz366 at aol dot com (spelled phonetically)

Another thing to look out for is the Daytona 500. You are fine leaving the ship early at least from Port Canaveral on Saturday or Sunday. Going to the port, I try to find out when the race is scheduled and time our drive through the Daytona area as close to start time as possible. Heavy traffic mid-morning of race days (Saturday for Daytona 300 and Sunday for Daytona 500).

Another thing to look out for is the Daytona 500. You are fine leaving the ship early at least from Port Canaveral on Saturday or Sunday. Going to the port, I try to find out when the race is scheduled and time our drive through the Daytona area as close to start time as possible. Heavy traffic mid-morning of race days (Saturday for Daytona 300 and Sunday for Daytona 500).

op specifically mentions 8 July .....

First, the Daytona 500 is run in February.

B. There are no races at Daytona International Speedway for July 8, 2018. There are two races before July 8:

• July 6 - Coca-Cola Firecracker 250
  • July 7 - Coke Zero Sugar 400

My guess is that most of these race fans will need to be home on Monday July 9th, so July 8 traffic thru Daytona northbound may be busy. The Coke Zero Sugar 400 starts at 7:00 PM and I'll bet the fans are not going to be driving home after the race but will wait until July 8 to leave.

If you have a smart phone, I recommend you download a good traffic map.

First, the Daytona 500 is run in February.

B. There are no races at Daytona International Speedway for July 8, 2018. There are two races before July 8:

• July 6 - Coca-Cola Firecracker 250
  • July 7 - Coke Zero Sugar 400

My guess is that most of these race fans will need to be home on Monday July 9th, so July 8 traffic thru Daytona northbound may be busy. The Coke Zero Sugar 400 starts at 7:00 PM and I'll bet the fans are not going to be driving home after the race but will wait until July 8 to leave.

If you have a smart phone, I recommend you download a good traffic map.

Didn't know about the July races -- thanks -- I may check the Daytona Speedway website for our future cruises.

Agree about downloading a few good Apps including Google Map and WAZE

What should I expect of I95 traffic leaving Port Canaveral on Sunday July 8th? (Sunday after 4th of July) Headed north back to South Carolina. Anyone have any guesses?

I just looked at Google Maps and I95 is GREEN from Port Canaveral to South Carolina. Safe travels!