Life vests

LovetheCubs

I heard it was a longer swim than you would think to some sort of slides at castaway cay. My daughter is a good swimmer but of course hearing this concerns me. If we bring her coast guard approved life jacket (from our own personal boat) will she be allowed to wear it out to the slide?

I heard it was a longer swim than you would think to some sort of slides at castaway cay. My daughter is a good swimmer but of course hearing this concerns me. If we bring her coast guard approved life jacket (from our own personal boat) will she be allowed to wear it out to the slide?

Not sure what class of USCG approved PFD you are talking about, but there are 5 classes, three of which are "jacket" types. Swimming in most lifejackets, especially type I jackets, is difficult, and more strenuous than swimming without a jacket. Lifejackets are designed to keep you upright, not horizontal in a normal swimming position.

My question is, what is she going to do with the lifejacket once at the slide? From looking at photos, it doesn't appear to be more than an olympic pool length from shore, and much of that appears to be walkable.

Life vests are available at Castaway Cay - same kind of vests as those on the ships. My DD was able to swim to the slides, riding the slide and swimming back using one of those.

The way back to shore from the slide is definitely not walkable. You need to swim most of the way, and you should get to the side somewhat fast, since the next person will come down soon...

The slide rules are included in this video I found:

Life vests are available at Castaway Cay - same kind of vests as those on the ships. My DD was able to swim to the slides, riding the slide and swimming back using one of those.

The way back to shore from the slide is definitely not walkable. You need to swim most of the way, and you should get to the side somewhat fast, since the next person will come down soon...

The slide rules are included in this video I found:

Thank you! It’s so helpful to hear from people who have actually been there and done it!! I have heard it wasn’t walkable and although she can swim I was worried!

We will bring our vests! I would rather she have them and not need them than vice versa!!! Thanks again!

It isn't walkable because, for safety reasons, the water where the slide dumps you must be a certain depth. Thus, the slide is located where the water is "deep enough" regardless of the tides. And the length of the swim back to shallow water depends on the tides (time of day and season of year).

As noted, DCL provides life vests at no charge.

One note--yes, there are lifeguards at the pools on the ship and in various locations at Castaway Cay. Please remember that a parent's eyes on their child are another needed safety factor in all locations. The lifeguard is responsible for watching potentially 100 kids, or only the one at the bottom of the slide. Either way, they are not watching YOUR child all the time. That's the job of the parent. End of lecture from former lifeguard.