Carnival trip insurance

goofy gopher

No medical coverage. Given that medical coverage is what we have needed to use trip insurance for in the past, that would not work for me. I looked and the trip insurance benefit through my credit card is pretty limited.
Valid point and agree. I just buy trip insurance for medical as well which is pretty cheap. I see that others are buying trip insurance for trip interruption or cancellation which is what credit cards cover plus other coverage such as lost and delayed baggage. I've also seen people buy full coverage just for medical and not aware that there was less costly medical only options. So just trying to inform so people make an informed and educated decision on what they should buy, and hopefully keep a little extra in their pockets to spend enjoying their trip.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

don't forget Medical Evacuation in addition to Medical Coverage.

That jet ambulance from Bonaire to Fort Laurderdale cost my travel insurance $25G. Not all private insurance covers out of country.

My private insurance would have paid but they dragged their feet in processing the claim so they went to the travel insurance.

Remember when traveling through the Caribbean, 3rd world countries and the local hospitals are not set up for trauma. I happened to have had a heart attack while docked in Bonaire.

I happened to have had the insurance bought through United Cruises, can't remember the name off the top of my head. It worked and it paid.

Valid point and agree. I just buy trip insurance for medical as well which is pretty cheap. I see that others are buying trip insurance for trip interruption or cancellation which is what credit cards cover plus other coverage such as lost and delayed baggage. I've also seen people buy full coverage just for medical and not aware that there was less costly medical only options. So just trying to inform so people make an informed and educated decision on what they should buy, and hopefully keep a little extra in their pockets to spend enjoying their trip.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Does that include medical evacuation as well though? As you can tell, I’m a rather safe than sorry type. And I was very grateful to have trip insurance on one particular cruise.

The plans through the sites mentioned are not "Third party", they are direct from insurer. The biggest reason we don't use CCL or any cruiseline offered insurance is that we want "Primary" coverage, not "Secondary" (which is what you get thru CCL). What this means is that your own insurance is accessed and used FIRST, with the remainder needing to be submitted to the "secondary" insurer.....lots of paperwork and hoops to jump through with a lot of 'finger pointing' btwn your own insurance and the "secondary" carrier. If the insurance is "Primary" coverage (which is clearly shown on insure my trip dot com), then they are the main source for a claim, NOT your own insurance FIRST! That means tons if you ever need to actually use the insurance. :eek:

It's not nearly as difficult as you make it sound in our experience - at least when it comes to cancellation - even Early Saver.

We just finished a claim with the Carnival insurance as we had to cancel due to DH medical problem the week before the cruise.

It was an absolutely painless process. We canceled with Carnival who then gave us the info on calling the insurance provider "Aon". Carnival refunded our taxes and port fees within 3 days of canceling.

Aon emailed the forms needed that afternoon. It included easy directions, 1 information sheet, 1 sheet with information about the cancelation and 1 easy sheet the Dr office filled out.

There were no questions asked by Aon about any secondary insurance we might have.

We got everything we paid out back within 2 weeks of the day we mailed the form back.

The plans through the sites mentioned are not "Third party", they are direct from insurer. The biggest reason we don't use CCL or any cruiseline offered insurance is that we want "Primary" coverage, not "Secondary" (which is what you get thru CCL). What this means is that your own insurance is accessed and used FIRST, with the remainder needing to be submitted to the "secondary" insurer.....lots of paperwork and hoops to jump through with a lot of 'finger pointing' btwn your own insurance and the "secondary" carrier. If the insurance is "Primary" coverage (which is clearly shown on insure my trip dot com), then they are the main source for a claim, NOT your own insurance FIRST! That means tons if you ever need to actually use the insurance. :eek:

The vast majority of "direct from insurer" policies are secondary coverage. It may help you save on costs, and may provide more options than fearing the "finger point".

• 1 month later...
It's not nearly as difficult as you make it sound in our experience - at least when it comes to cancellation - even Early Saver.

We just finished a claim with the Carnival insurance as we had to cancel due to DH medical problem the week before the cruise.

It was an absolutely painless process. We canceled with Carnival who then gave us the info on calling the insurance provider "Aon". Carnival refunded our taxes and port fees within 3 days of canceling.

Aon emailed the forms needed that afternoon. It included easy directions, 1 information sheet, 1 sheet with information about the cancelation and 1 easy sheet the Dr office filled out.

There were no questions asked by Aon about any secondary insurance we might have.

We got everything we paid out back within 2 weeks of the day we mailed the form back.

Was it the cruise minus port charges, taxes and insurance payment? Did AON also covered you airfare?

Sometimes I get through Carnival and sometimes I get through USAA.

DCL and a 7 Night to Eastern Carribean I got private insurance, due to the distance and cost of the cruise.

For a Nassau trip I used CCL. Luckily never needed it.

Just get insurance...

I agree with those stating insure my trip dot com. They have a lot of good information on their website to help you make an informed decision based on your particular needs.

For example, do you need health coverage while you're out of the country? My health insurance covers me out of the country but most policies don't. If yours doesn't you'd want to consider buying health coverage. There are a lot of considerations to think about based on your situation. Do you want "cancel for any reason" coverage or not? Those are just examples of reasons to consider what you want to insure for on your cruise. Having options is a lot more helpful than buying blanket coverage that may or may not apply to your situation.

Also use insure my trip dot com

Exactly what we look for -- "Primary" at least in medical and evacuation coverage. I don't think you will find that directly with the cruise lines.

Good point. That’s truly the one area I wasn’t 100% sure of my coverage.

Can you buy insurance that is only for emergency evacuation if all else I need is covered ?

Yes.

In fact I know people who live in rural areas of this country who have air medevac coverage.

P.S. I've met people aboard ship who were unaware that Medicare doesn't cover overseas travel!!

I just looked at copies of the forms the Carnival insurance supplier - Aon Affinity - sent us for a recent claim. Nowhere in the paperwork does it ask for any other insurance you have - including Medicare.

Carnival refunded all excursions, Fun Shop purchases, taxes and port fees in a couple days of being notified. Aon refunded all other funds paid out - except for the cost of the insurance itself which is understandable withing 2 weeks of applying.

Bottom line is that we spent appx $200 to get $2000 back (and it was an early saver fare :D )

We use CCL's insurance for eastern and western Caribbean cruises. For trips farther away or Europe/transatlantic we buy independent insurance with a higher payoff cap.

traveled insured . com

Found a policy that cover 100% cancellation along with medical, luggage, etc. for half the price of Carnival.

Wish I would have thought to look elsewhere. Next time I will. Thanks for the tip!

Sometimes I get through Carnival and sometimes I get through USAA.

DCL and a 7 Night to Eastern Carribean I got private insurance, due to the distance and cost of the cruise.

For a Nassau trip I used CCL. Luckily never needed it.

Just get insurance...

Good to know USAA offers it.

Thanks.