Where to go before Baltic cruise in 2019?

I have booked a 9 day Baltic cruise for June 2019 for a family of 4 with two adult children. We have been to the Med twice. I am thinking about flying into Paris or London for a few days prior to the cruise. Then flying to Copenhagen the day before the cruise. We have never been to London or Paris and it seems that I should try to get to one of them. Is this a reasonable thing to do when factoring in the extra airfare, hotels, and transferring all the luggage. Would it be better to fly into Copenhagen early and do day trips from there?

I have booked a 9 day Baltic cruise for June 2019 for a family of 4 with two adult children. We have been to the Med twice. I am thinking about flying into Paris or London for a few days prior to the cruise. Then flying to Copenhagen the day before the cruise. We have never been to London or Paris and it seems that I should try to get to one of them. Is this a reasonable thing to do when factoring in the extra airfare, hotels, and transferring all the luggage. Would it be better to fly into Copenhagen early and do day trips from there?
Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen as the song goes.

Definitely stay here for 2 days.

Lots of things to see including Tivoli amusement park.

Using a bit of lateral thought, have you considered spending a short time in a hotel elsewhere in Denmark, but within easy travelling distance of Copenhagen, rather than doing day trips out of a city centre hotel (city centre hotels are often more expensive as well).

We have only had a couple of days in Copenhagen, from a cruise ship, but as your other ports are also likely to be large cities, might be nice to go somewhere a bit different. We did a maiden port mystery cruise on a small ship a couple of years ago and found a couple of lovely small, historic towns in Denmark, including Nyborg (about 1.5 hours away according to google), which is within reach of the Hans Christian Anderson tourist locations in Odense.

Depends how long you intend to stay though, 2-3 nights may be best in one base.

Using a bit of lateral thought, have you considered spending a short time in a hotel elsewhere in Denmark, but within easy travelling distance of Copenhagen, rather than doing day trips out of a city centre hotel (city centre hotels are often more expensive as well).

We have only had a couple of days in Copenhagen, from a cruise ship, but as your other ports are also likely to be large cities, might be nice to go somewhere a bit different. We did a maiden port mystery cruise on a small ship a couple of years ago and found a couple of lovely small, historic towns in Denmark, including Nyborg (about 1.5 hours away according to google), which is within reach of the Hans Christian Anderson tourist locations in Odense.

Depends how long you intend to stay though, 2-3 nights may be best in one base.

The Admiral hotel in Copenhagen is nice and well located and reasonably priced.

Ask for a water view room.

You don't say where your cruise starts.....Ours started in London, so we did spend an extra week in Paris and London, But I guess yours is starting in Copenhagen, then I would go in early and spend some time there.

Having visited London, Paris, and Copenhagen, I would definitely choose to spend a few extra days in Copenhagen rather than trying to pack London or Paris into a couple of days. Copenhagen is an amazing city, well worth a few days.

We are flying into Paris for 24 hours before going on the Copenhagen this July. We were using Delta points and it was impossible to go to CPH on 70,000 points per person so my choices were Paris or London. For whatever reason, I choose Paris for the 24 hours. We are then flying Air France the next day to CPH. Then we will have 24 hours in Copenhagen before the cruise then doing 24 after cruise.

The Admiral hotel in Copenhagen is nice and well located and reasonably priced.

Ask for a water view room.

Checking out your recommendation because I read a lot of people recommend staying near Tivoli and I notice this hotel is not in that area.

What advantages did you find staying in this location? And how did you get around? Public transportation? Taxis?

Checking out your recommendation because I read a lot of people recommend staying near Tivoli and I notice this hotel is not in that area.

What advantages did you find staying in this location? And how did you get around? Public transportation? Taxis?

The hop on hop off bus stops outside the hotel.

The Palace is 5 minutes walking distance as is Nyhavn waterfront bars and restaurants.

It is on the waterfront with a pleasant walk to the Little Mermaid.

Stroget the mile+ long shopping street is only 10 minutes walk away.

Hotel can get you a taxi to Tivoli.

We have stayed 3 times the last time in May 2015 before our cruise on Serenade of the seas and have always loved it's character, service and location.

Graham.

We just spent 4 nights in Copenhagen prior to our cruise in June. We originally were going to stay at the Scandic Palace which is in the area near Tivoli. I found this area similar to staying near Times Square in New York because of crowds during the day and was glad we didn't stay there. We stayed at Skt. Petri which was about 10-15 minute walk to Tivoli and a very central location to everything. Having said that, Copenhagen is a very easy city to get around in. It's a very walkable city and most of the major attractions are not very far from each other. Public transportation, hop-on-hop-off buses, taxis are readily available. The Admiral Hotel is also in a great location by the water. I don't think you can go wrong staying in most places in Copenhagen. It just depends on your budget. A hotel with air conditioning was important to us which was one of the reasons we chose the Skt. Petri and I am so glad we did because they were having a heat wave while we were there. Copenhagen is a lovely city and would recommend staying there either pre or post cruise.