Age requirement question

dna529

We are cruising in August on the Elation. My two neices and nephew want to book a room and go with us. They are two 18 year olds and a 21 year old. Will they be allowed to book themselves in a room together? We already have two separate rooms with me and one kid in one room and my husband and other kid in another. If we have to book one of us with them it will mess up our arrangement because there are no cabins left on our deck. Anyway, I thought I read somewhere that you have to be 25 to travel alone, but they really aren't traveling alone. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Here's what the Carnival website says:

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. For additional minor age restriction guidelines while on board, click here.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.
  • Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.
  • Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter guidelines as follows:
    • Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors
    • Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment
    • 8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

• Proper documentation must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.
  • Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

• Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.
  • Copy of proof of service must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Roz

We are cruising in August on the Elation. My two neices and nephew want to book a room and go with us. They are two 18 year olds and a 21 year old. Will they be allowed to book themselves in a room together? We already have two separate rooms with me and one kid in one room and my husband and other kid in another. If we have to book one of us with them it will mess up our arrangement because there are no cabins left on our deck. Anyway, I thought I read somewhere that you have to be 25 to travel alone, but they really aren't traveling alone. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

When my boys were in college, I took them on a cruise each year, so they were between 18-24 those years. I always book a room for my dd and I (she was about 6 when that started) and a room for my boys..no other adult in their room.

Never a problem, but everything was booked by me, if that makes a difference.

There age doesn’t matter if their parents are traveling with them. However, I am quite sure if they’re on their own then they have to both be at least 21 or if not one person in the room has to be 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The policy is quoted above which shows that a guardian (aka family member) traveling with them is fine. When we travel with our boys, even when they were both under 18, we could book them in a separate room across the hall.

We booked an adult in each cabin, then changed the cards out at guest services back in 2003 when our kids were 10, 15 & 18. I can't remember if we had to do that in 2004 or if they let us book the kids without an adult since we were next door to each other. Same for 2008.