Better to add now and then cancel?

SDJen

Have a cruise booked for 2 people April 2019 - myself and my daughter. We have asked a friend of hers to join us but are not sure if that will happen or not.

Would it be better to add her now and cancel later? Not sure what the cancellation policy is for just dropping one person?

Also, we would have to change rooms since ours currently only holds 2 people. If we would cancel her later, would they let us keep the room or change us back to a 2 person room.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you are booked Early Saver and add her then she cancels, her deposit is non refundable. Then be prepared to move cabins if you no longer meet the occupancy requirements. I would leave it as is for now especially if you like your cabin just in case she ends up not going.

Have a cruise booked for 2 people April 2019 - myself and my daughter. We have asked a friend of hers to join us but are not sure if that will happen or not.

Would it be better to add her now and cancel later? Not sure what the cancellation policy is for just dropping one person?

Also, we would have to change rooms since ours currently only holds 2 people. If we would cancel her later, would they let us keep the room or change us back to a 2 person room.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It would depend on how late you would be making the decision. If it is going to go right up to the end, you should try to add now because of lifeboat capacity. If you don't add now and try early next year, you may find that the lifeboat capacity max has been reached and they are not allowing any passengers to be added to existing reservations. April is in the Spring Break timeframe and is popular for cruises, so reaching max capacity is going to be very likely. JMO

Yes...if you don't add now, you run the risk of not being allowed to add someone to your cabin, due to lifeboat capacities being filled. Better to drop one, than try to add, and not be able to!

It depends on what rate they booked and if they want to risk getting the leftover 2 person cabins if they book for 3 now. Worst case if they leave it as is the friend can’t go due to the ship being full.

Worst case if they booked ES and add her and she ends up not going, they lose her deposit and have to move to a not so good cabin. If it were a person that booked solo and might have someone go with then it would be a no brainer. But we’re now dealing with occupancy restrictions. I would still leave it as is especially if booked ES. I wouldn’t want to be out any money.

The sooner you find out for sure, the better.