First time jitters

Hello, This is my husband and my first cruise and we decided on the spur of the moment. So now, with only 10 days until the cruise--voyager of the seas--, I am trying to learn everything I can about cruising, the western caribbean and the do's and don'ts.

When planning the shore excursions, is it better to go through the cruiseline the first time or try to do it thorough independent excusions. And then, Who are these independent excursion people? you can't find them before you are actually there, right?

Also, we are on a oceanview balcony room...is there really room to eat out there, or just to stand squished against a rail?

Also, if you board the ship early, can you go reserve the alternative dining rooms then, or do you have to wait until we set sail???

The last thing is...is there anyone else leaving in 10 days for this cruise as well? We have registered for the meet and mingle, but since we haven't had much time to talk to anyone and the time is running out, I am a little nervous about showing up and no one having a clue who we are....should we just opt out of this?

Thanks so much for any tips. We are excited about trying a new type of vacation.

Hello, This is my husband and my first cruise and we decided on the spur of the moment. So now, with only 10 days until the cruise--voyager of the seas--, I am trying to learn everything I can about cruising, the western caribbean and the do's and don'ts.

When planning the shore excursions, is it better to go through the cruiseline the first time or try to do it thorough independent excusions. And then, Who are these independent excursion people? you can't find them before you are actually there, right? If you go to the Posts of Call boards you can find plenty of information of locar shore excursion operators. If you book with the cruise line you will pay a higher price, but you will have the piece of mind that you are probably going with someone reputable. In addition, if it is a lengthy excursion, the ship will wait if the excursion is late getting back to the ship. If you book on your own and you get back too late the ship will sail without you. If you are stopping in Grand Cayman, the best excursion is the one to Stingray City. If you want to book your own trip to Stingray City, I have used Captain Marvins a couple of times and they were excellent.

Also, we are on a oceanview balcony room...is there really room to eat out there, or just to stand squished against a rail? A standard balcony cabin has two regular chairs and a small table. It's more suited to having a drink rather than a sit down meal.

Also, if you board the ship early, can you go reserve the alternative dining rooms then, or do you have to wait until we set sail??? You can go to the alternative dining venues before the ship sails to make reservations. They are not open then for actual dining. The only place open for dining befroe sailing is the Windjammer buffet.

The last thing is...is there anyone else leaving in 10 days for this cruise as well? We have registered for the meet and mingle, but since we haven't had much time to talk to anyone and the time is running out, I am a little nervous about showing up and no one having a clue who we are....should we just opt out of this? Just show up for the meet and mingle, you might meet some nice people.

Thanks so much for any tips. We are excited about trying a new type of vacation.

Sometimes we book through the cruise ship and sometimes with an independent operator either on the internet or at the docks, and sometimes we just explore on our own on foot or by rental car. It all depends on our comfort zone. Several factors play into our decision:

1.) How 'safe' do we feel in the port...For example, in St Thomas, we wouldn't hesitate to grab a cab on our own whereas in Colombia we would stay with a cruiseline excursion.

2.) Another factor is time...When going with an independent operator we try to schedule as early as possible in the day so we have more than ample time to return to the ship should we have unexpected delays (flat tire) etc. Most half-day excursions we will book on our own....A full day (such as Tulum) where you have a ferry & bus, we would opt to schedule through the cruiseline.

FYI: The advantage of excursions purchased on the ship....They guarantee to wait on you if you are late. If you go with an independent operator and you are late returning to the ship, you are on your own!

With independent operators, one can save money, tour with a much smaller group, have more interaction with the guide and avoid the "herded like cattle" mentality.

Go to the PORTS OF CALL page on these boards for suggestions and recommendations for private tour operators.

Go and enjoy!!!!

Hi On our first cruise this past Nov. we booked a private excursion with Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios. We saw the real Jamaica. We had a great time. His e-mail address is oneiltay@cw Jamaica.com We went to Dunns River , Fern Gully, the countryside and shopping. He picked us up at the pier in a ac minibus and returned us to the pier. I think it was 35.00 pp. We paid at the end od the tour. We also tipped $20.00. We also made reservations at Portofinos as soon as be boarded. We had a wonderful dinner there. Good luck and have fun. We will be back on the Navigator in Dec. doing the Eastern itin. Judi :)

You're going to have a wonderful time and you will not be the only cruse newbies either.

For the first time go with the ships excursions. If you had more time to research I would suggest trying it a little on your own but you are pressed for it so go with the ships stuff and book online if you can (I think it might be too late).

OK forget what I said. I forgot the itinerary and that you were going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

In Jamaica go with Peat Taylor. DO IT! It makes the difference between loving the island and hating it. 100%. Truly. I have been to Jamaica 13 times and really do know what I am talking about here.

For Grand Cayman do a Stingray Tour. I suggest Nativeways. The ships groups are too large and you get better time and interaction with a private tour group. Hell is not that interesting and the shopping is not as good as it used to be. Stingray City is where I did my first open water dive and I fell in love forever (I was only 20 then).

If you go to the part of this site devoted to ports. There are some really good suggestions there.

Never done the balconey thing, so no advice there.

As soon as you board the ship get to the alternative dining rooms. They are open before you sail and they fill up quick! They are SO worth it.

Look on the boards for your sailing. You should be able to find others. Just be friendly and smile a lot. Talk to people nicely. I have only had one jerk not speak to me when I was kind to them on the ship. For the most part people are wonderful!

When planning the shore excursions, is it better to go through the cruiseline the first time or try to do it thorough independent excusions. And then, Who are these independent excursion people? you can't find them before you are actually there, right?

Also, we are on a oceanview balcony room...is there really room to eat out there, or just to stand squished against a rail?

Also, if you board the ship early, can you go reserve the alternative dining rooms then, or do you have to wait until we set sail???

The last thing is...is there anyone else leaving in 10 days for this cruise as well? We have registered for the meet and mingle, but since we haven't had much time to talk to anyone and the time is running out, I am a little nervous about showing up and no one having a clue who we are....should we just opt out of this?

I did research online and booked my excursions on my own. I found this saved about 20% what the cruise line charges for exact same excursions.

Google each stop you are going to and look for the tourism website, they usually have links to activities on that island. Sometimes even more activities than what the cruise line offers. The only time you have to book through the cruise line is if they stop at thier private island.

For your first time, it may just be easiest to go through the ship. I would recommend climbing Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios and Stingray City in Grand Cayman. Also, don't miss Margaritaville in Ocho Rios. That can be a great time!

You could eat a "continental" breakfast out there, but not really room to eat a full meal. Drinks, as Jerry said, is perfect.

You should definately go. Also, check out the roll call for your cruise. Tell them you're going and I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms! 10 days is not too late for that, and in fact the roll calls are usually the most active within the last couple of weeks of your sailing.

Hope you have a great time and I'm sure you will come back fully addicted like the rest of us!!!

Welcome to the boards!!!!

I see we are both from Wichita. Its nice to see a home town poster!

Its too bad you don't have more time to explore this board. It was a Godsend for me on my cruise in 2002. I learned a wealth of information that helped tremendously. I recommend you go to your roll call and get involved with those posts, and definitely go to the Meet and Mingle. Its nice to see the people you meet around the ship and in the ports.

One other recommendation, as others have already said....use Peat Taylor for Jamaica, and Nativeways for Grand Cayman to swim with the stingrays. You will never forget swimming with the rays. It has been the highlight of our cruise the last two times! In Jamaica we climbed the falls and went river tubing. Just avoid the exit at the falls or you will be harrassed terribly by the locals trying to get you in their booths. Go out the entrance.

And please, when you get back make sure you write a reveiw and let us know how it went.

Take care and have a great time.

Jennifer

Hope you all have a wonderful time! I can still remember the awe I felt the first time I boarded the Monarch of the Seas. I could not believe the "floating city" I was on. There's usually an explanation session the first day for first time cruisers. You might want to check that out. By all means, go for the Meet and Mingle.

Here's another vote for Peat Taylor while you are in Jamaica. It was very easy to walk off the ship and find him. Before you book a private tour in Grand Cayman, you might want to get advice on how tendering works for non-ship booked tours. Cruise Critic friends on our last Rhapsody trip had to be in the tender lounge area before 7:00 am in order to get off the ship in time to meet their private tour. I am sure that your fellow Voyager passengers will know how this works for that ship. If you book a tour in Grand Cayman through the ship, you will have a tender number that will give you plenty of time to get to your tour.

Relax. Go with the flow. Have a great time.

I remember our first cruise, had to convince my husband to go, now he's hooked. We booked with the ship on line before hand that way I was sure to get the times and excur, we wanted. The kids loved the sting rays they and I will never forget that experience, so much so we are doing it again on FOS..But I will not book with the ship. For peace of mind; book with the ship.

The balcony , I thought was great for a snack after the excursions, we would call for room service and have a sanck while we re-grouped.

Have never been to a m/m . Everyone on the boards seem nice, I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms. Remember everyone is on vacation just wanting to enjoy themselves.Have a great time.:)

Welcome to the club...

First of all where in Maryland you from.. we are going on the same cruise as you and also from Maryland.

Second, you should go to the roll call board for Jan 14 Voyager of the Seas and meet all of us crusing with you.. we can answer more of your ship specific questions there..

Let me know what I can do to help

Hello,

My wife and I have been on 14 cruises and two more are on tap for 2006. First and foremost I want you to calm down and stop worrying so much. The other respondents have given you excellent advice but here is another idea. Wait until you are on the ship and then assess whether you want to go on a ship's tour. You can have a wonderful time on Grand Cayman without spending any money, for example, just by walking around the town. Talk to some of the ship's staff and especially the women officers who know about each port.

And you will not be able to do everything as there is just too much to do.

Food in the Windjammer will be available as soon as you board the ship.

And very important do not let any problems fester, that is, get things right by contacting your cabin steward if you need something for your cabin. Similarly with the dining room see the Maitre D right away if something is not right.

You will have a great time but you must calm down and stay very positive.

Fred

I wanted you to clarify one thing in your mind - is your cabin an oceanview or a balcony? Usually "oceanview" means a window, not a balcony, and "balcony" mean, well, just that. Since your question had to do with squinching to fit on the balcony, I couldn't help but worry that maybe you indeed have an 'oceanview' not balcony cabin.

You will have a great time either way. But I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if you thought you reserved one thing and it turned out to be another. If you post your room # here, someone will quickly tell you which type it is.

Also, the balconies are plenty big enough for two people to have breakfast or lunch on.

I am not sure of the room number, I am at work and don't have my papers. I am pretty sure it is a balcony, since I had a long discussion about it with the lady who helped me book it. all i know is that it is 8thirty something. I am really looking forward to this and thank you for your replys.

Thank you so much for your tips. I am nervous, but I suppose I just want to make good decisions. My husband has left all the planning to me and I feel so out of my depth. I assume that on the basics, it should be fairly fool proof. I appreciate all your tips. Thanx!![/color][/b]

Welcome to the club...

First of all where in Maryland you from.. we are going on the same cruise as you and also from Maryland. Actually we are from Wichita Kansas (you wonder what would possess anyone to live in Kansas aren't you...me to ;) )

Second, you should go to the roll call board for Jan 14 Voyager of the Seas and meet all of us crusing with you.. we can answer more of your ship specific questions there.. I will go there next...thank you so much! We are really looking forward to this trip...change is so difficult!

Welcome to the club...

Actually we are from Wichita Kansas (you wonder what would possess anyone to live in Kansas aren't you...me to ;) )

We are just north of you in Manhattan, Kansas.... :)

You're going to have a wonderful time and you will not be the only cruse newbies either.

For the first time go with the ships excursions. If you had more time to research I would suggest trying it a little on your own but you are pressed for it so go with the ships stuff and book online if you can (I think it might be too late).

OK forget what I said. I forgot the itinerary and that you were going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

In Jamaica go with Peat Taylor. DO IT! It makes the difference between loving the island and hating it. 100%. Truly. I have been to Jamaica 13 times and really do know what I am talking about here.

For Grand Cayman do a Stingray Tour. I suggest Nativeways. The ships groups are too large and you get better time and interaction with a private tour group. Hell is not that interesting and the shopping is not as good as it used to be. Stingray City is where I did my first open water dive and I fell in love forever (I was only 20 then).

If you go to the part of this site devoted to ports. There are some really good suggestions there.

Never done the balconey thing, so no advice there.

As soon as you board the ship get to the alternative dining rooms. They are open before you sail and they fill up quick! They are SO worth it.

Look on the boards for your sailing. You should be able to find others. Just be friendly and smile a lot. Talk to people nicely. I have only had one jerk not speak to me when I was kind to them on the ship. For the most part people are wonderful!

Peat Taylor sounds like a great option. How do I contact him and when? Sorry about all the questions...trying to be an informed traveller :)

We are just north of you in Manhattan, Kansas.... :)

Do you know that it took me a month to realize that when people kept talking about going to Manhattan for the weekend, they meant to you? I kept wondering why New York was so popular. Of course that was when I first moved here and hadn't managed to look at a map yet. My husband did some moonlighting in the Manhattan ER and said that it is very beautiful where you are. I envy you you're trees :)

Our first cruise was on the Voyager - Western - and DH left all the planning (he just showed up and had a good time!!) - I agree that Peat Taylor in Jamaica is a good idea (dunn's falls shouldn't be missed) - We loved Jamaica - it is beautiful. IMHO the stingrays in Grand Cayman - is an unbelievable once in a life time amazing experience. I am known far and wide as being a total chicken - but I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to experience both the falls and the stingrays.

The voyager is a beautiful ship - best advise would be to decide to have the best time ever - and then ignore anything that isn't perfect - have a wonderful adventure. Jan

Peat Taylor sounds like a great option. How do I contact him and when? Sorry about all the questions...trying to be an informed traveller :)

I also vote for Peat Taylor. Reach him at www.peattaylor.com and he will get right back to you. He is a great guy and will take incredible care of you and you won't regret. Ask him about everything available to you for the day, but ask about Dunns River Falls, White River Tubing, Fern Gulley and Island Village. You will enjoy each of these places.

If you are stopping at Grand Cayman you must look into Stingray City. As mentioned above in all the great advice you have been given, stop over at the Ports of Call boards for more info. Good luck and have a great time!!!!

All the 8300 series of cabins on the Voyageur look to have balconies (except 2 little ones on the end that are insides) so it looks as if you do have one! Enjoy it!

Also, since you don't have much time to do wholesale research on these boards, it might be worthwhile to buy a "cruising 101" type travel guide. I bought several before my first cruise and they were very helpful. Frommers, Fodors, and even "Cruising for Dummies" sell a version.

All the 8300 series of cabins on the Voyageur look to have balconies (except 2 little ones on the end that are insides) so it looks as if you do have one! Enjoy it!

Also, since you don't have much time to do wholesale research on these boards, it might be worthwhile to buy a "cruising 101" type travel guide. I bought several before my first cruise and they were very helpful. Frommers, Fodors, and even "Cruising for Dummies" sell a version.

Great...thanks. I was thinking of stopping by Borders the other night and wasn't sure where to start...Now at least I have a direction. Thanks!

Also, remember that even without a lot of "inside" information, you will have a great time. Sometimes I think people get the feeling from these boards that you have to really "know what you're doing" to have fun, and that's just not the case. My first cruise was on Voyager to the W. Carribbean, and I had no "inside" info and had a blast.

Enjoy yourself and just go with the flow!

Archived