A Probably Stupid Question About Elegant Night

ShaniBell

Not exactly sure if this is a fair generalization. I am a fairly young cruiser (26) and have been lucky to cruise for sometime now. I personally love to dress up(dark suit with a tie), as do my 5 sisters(ranging from the ages of 18-28).

There are many people who have decided to dress more casual recently, not just “younger cruisers.”

Good for you! :)I'm glad to hear you enjoy making dinner on a cruise a little extra special. I do think you, at 26, are an exception rather than the rule though, judging by what I have observed.

We stopped “dressing up” long ago. On formal night I just wear a pair of slacks or nice capris and a nice top. Hubby wears khakis and a collared shirt.

Never felt out of place!!!

Ditto for us .... dressed this way we fall in the center of the spectrum of dress for elegant night in the Caribbean.

Okay, I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I've searched and can't find anything. Hubby and I are set to travel on the Imagination on July 29th. It's a quick 4 night trip. I am pretty sure the Elegant night is on night #2. Honestly, I'd rather not have to pack a dress and heels and get all done up and hubby would certainly rather not don a suit. Are we going to feel out of place if we don't dress up that night?

Many people do not go into the dining room because they do not want to dress up, they eat at the buffet. There is a list of "What is Not acceptable to wear in the dining room" for Carnival. Let me see if I can remember it...No shorts, no shirts without sleeves. I just got off the Magic yesterday. On formal night I saw people very dressed up, I also saw people with a nice shirt and pants, skirts for gals. Safe bet for dining room is dress like you going to work, or church. We got dressed up because we wanted too. As long as you look nice, don't sweat it. Or you could go to the buffet and never dress up. Don't worry, enjoy yourself, you will be on vacation. There will be photographers taking pics. this is an opportunity for pics with friends and family. Have a wonderful cruise!

Here are some examples of dresses I'd wear to formal night:

205-1721-9844-49-yyy?$PDPPlaceholder$&.i=031417

ThumbnailImg?$layer_2_src=205-0848-7667-22-yyy&$layer_3_hide=1&$layer_4_hide=1&$layer_5_hide=1&$layer_6_hide=1&$layer_7_hide=1

Nice taste Fyree! I’m a dress girl also and much prefer dresses to anything else...so will wear anything from a cocktail dress to a maxi dress to a summer dress for everything. I’m not really a shoes or jewelry person but have a pair of nude wedges and a few sandals that go with everything. Husband will wear dress shorts & polos or hawaiian shirts, but will wear slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night. Following Carnival’s dress code is easy because it is so basic & alot like going to church or work.

Edited by BookDragon

Thank you everyone for your input! You have certainly answered my DW's (the OP) question. We really do appreciate everyone's diverse opinions. We have a game plan now!

Yes, thank you, although I had no idea my seemingly innocent question could or would generate THIS much discussion. LOL!

Considering I am an oddly formal type, I love dressing up, I have no issues wearing dresses from casual to formal. I grumbled up a storm when my office went jeans all the time recently. DH on the other hand, does not share my sentiments.

As he stated, we have a game plan now that should please everyone - from us to the folks who would rather see everyone dressed up.

Happy Cruising everyone!

What does income have to do with following a bare bones basic dress code?

Nothing. Some people just want to be difficult.

While I am FAR from equating the MDR with Morton's or Ruth's Chris, nobody would even dream of going to a restaurant like that in shorts, tee shirt and ball cap. If I want to go eat dinner in shorts and flip flops, I go to Chili's. To me, it's the same on a cruise. If I don't want to change into at the very least a pair of nice capri pants and top, then I'll eat on the Lido deck (which sometimes we do).

FTR, we cruise Carnival because they have the largest cabins outside of a suite of any cruise line we've found. They also have the most variety of itinerary and dates available for our needs. Money has nothing to do with it.

Nice taste Fyree! I’m a dress girl also and much prefer dresses to anything else...so will wear anything from a cocktail dress to a maxi dress to a summer dress for everything. I’m not really a shoes or jewelry person but have a pair of nude wedges and a few sandals that go with everything. Husband will wear dress shorts & polos or hawaiian shirts, but will wear slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night. Following Carnival’s dress code is easy because it is so basic & alot like going to church or work.

Oh no!!! Those nude wedges violate Carnival’s suggested shoes!!! I guess you will leave them home now.”

• Comfortable shoes, sneakers, sandals and flip-flops. We suggest rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction. Select shore excursions may require closed-toe shoes. The use of any footwear with wheels is prohibited on board our ships.

Oh no!!! Those nude wedges violate Carnival’s suggested shoes!!! I guess you will leave them home now.”

• Comfortable shoes, sneakers, sandals and flip-flops. We suggest rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction. Select shore excursions may require closed-toe shoes. The use of any footwear with wheels is prohibited on board our ships.

Seriously? Just because we disagree, doesn’t mean you have to stoop to being ridiculous and petty. Just agree to disagree. BTW: my wedges are low as I’m already close to 6’ tall...SMH

Yes, thank you, although I had no idea my seemingly innocent question could or would generate THIS much discussion. LOL!

Considering I am an oddly formal type, I love dressing up, I have no issues wearing dresses from casual to formal. I grumbled up a storm when my office went jeans all the time recently. DH on the other hand, does not share my sentiments.

As he stated, we have a game plan now that should please everyone - from us to the folks who would rather see everyone dressed up.

Happy Cruising everyone!

Probably most folks that post questions about dining room attire have no idea it is THE most argued topic on CC. Happy cruising! :)

Seriously? Just because we disagree, doesn’t mean you have to stoop to being ridiculous and petty. Just agree to disagree. BTW: my wedges are low as I’m already close to 6’ tall...SMH

I was joking lol.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise!

I believe the original discussion was specific to the 4-day itinerary from Long Beach - one where VERY casual attire is not unusual, even on "elegant" night. What you state is likely true otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That may be true, but the person that I was replying to (LongHill) is going on the Pride, which does not do the shorter itineraries and a review of his posts indicates that he is actively in the camp of "I'll bribe or bully my way into doing whatever I want despite any rules to the contrary."

If you are going to be snarky, you should at least quote the right dress code. You quoted from the "What to Wear - Daytime" page. Dinner is not a "daytime" event. The EVENING dress codes do not mention shoes other than flip-flops are on the "not allowed" listing.

Surely you jest. Remember, Carnival has dumbed down the dress code to the point where the same clothes 50 million office workers wear on casual Friday are now considered "elegant".

LOL, I love this answer. Just curious, how was elegant night handled on the USS Abraham Lincoln? :-) ;p

My experience on 4 nighters is dress is a big mish mosh and except for a photo opportunity w captain there’s almost no other elegant themed event going on. I don’t think you will feel out of place.

This is in your experience. But others have posted their own experiences seeing the dress code enforced. This would not be an issue if Carnival management was consistent across the fleet.

But doesn’t Carnival already do this? Elegant night (1-2 nights of an avg cruise) is hosted in the MDR and it is optional. Those who don’t want to participate have other options. Also, again, you are assuming when you state, “The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it.” Unless you have polled every Carnival customer, you simply cannot say this because you don’t actually know. Not everyone feels like you do, which explains all the inconsistencies and the number of board threads on dress codes.

My other option is to just dress neat and clean (like every night) and go to the MDR for the food and service I paid for. Don’t worry, I’m not coming in camo shorts and graphic t shirts, but I’m not wearing a button down shirt, tie, anything resembling dress shoes. You’ll catch me in a Tommy Bahamas button up shirt and boat shoes, same as I’d wear to any restaurant at the shore or anywhere in town (south florida). Carnival is pretty lax about it especially on short cruises. I never feel out of place, solidly midpack. If I felt uncomfortable I’d choose a vacation I felt more comfortable with.

It has been quoted on these boards that only up to 5% of Carnival cruisers participate on cruise critic. It’s easy to get skewed thinking from these boards that the majority think one way or the other.

That is why I like to use my eyeballs when I am on a cruise. Not every cruise is the same. I personally have noticed a more casual dress each time I cruise (about every 2 years).

I’d love to cruise more to gauge a real opinion on this matter lol.

For the record, If I could get lobster or prime rib through room service, I probably would order it and eat on the suite balcony.

Also for the record, everyone pays for the lobster and prime rib when they buy the cruise.

Also for the record, many people have food intolerances and allergies which make the buffet useless.

The bottom line is that Carnival itself doesn’t enforce their dress code, even for elegant night. Especially on Dream (both times I saw supposedly non allowed clothing on Cruise elegant night).

In October, on his faces of book page, John Heald asked if there was still a dress code on Carnival. It seemed to me by and large most responses said it doesn’t matter to them what other people wear on a cruise.

Edited by spleenstomper

1ef4534005ca3881e47e0a2af34520f3.jpg

This is a model wearing the basic ensemble I saw on elegant night on Carnival dream. She was sitting at a table next to me.

(this is an image from google images). Her shorts had the white trim—running shorts, so like these but a little different.

I discreetly took a pic of her with her face not showing and mod here deleted it for whatever reason.

This shows what carnival allows in MRD on elegant night. I couldn’t care less and only took a pic for CC members to see. To show how casual it has gotten...

(She did have the hoodie all the way zipped up).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From all these threads I've read it seems like if Carnival changed the rule, then everyone would be fine with it. It seems that the issue people have is that the folks who wear jorts on cruise elegant night are rule breakers.

So if Carnival just made the dress code officially optional, it would all be okay right?

LOL, I love this answer. Just curious, how was elegant night handled on the USS Abraham Lincoln? :-) ;p

Why service dress blues for military and business attire for civilians, of course. Slobs aren't allowed in the mess halls, even the lowest enlisted ranks have more class than that.

From all these threads I've read it seems like if Carnival changed the rule, then everyone would be fine with it. It seems that the issue people have is that the folks who wear jorts on cruise elegant night are rule breakers.

So if Carnival just made the dress code officially optional, it would all be okay right?

I think it would for sure end all of the threads asking about all of the conflicting information they have read on CC.

Basically as it stands now, elegant night dress may or may not be enforced by a little or a lot depending on many unnamed factors, including but not limited to how the MTD feels that night.

Everyone would have no choice but accept it. Many wouldn't be happy about it, but it is Carnival's "home" and Carnival's rules, so to speak, one of the reasons many dislike seeing people disrespect the current "rules." I doubt they ever do away with the dress code though, even though they are often lax in enforcing it. Having zero rules would open a can of worms they probably would prefer to not see opened. At least with the way it is currently, many, if not most, dress somewhere in the neighborhood of decent. I shudder to think what the MDR would look like with no rules... bathrobes, lounging pants, PJs, no shirts or shoes, etc...

Hhmmm......I thought they had strict guidelines regarding evening attire on elegant nights.

There are guidelines but they are significantly relaxed from a few years ago

The last time we cruised with tablemates (Caribbean, summer), most of the women wore summer dresses and the men ranged from Khakis and a polo shirt or button down, to slacks and dress shirt with or without tie, One suit with vest (no jacket).

I usually wear a summer dress or LBD (or slacks and a nice top) and DH wears Khakis and a polo shirt. I usually wear nicer jewelry in elegant night.

1ef4534005ca3881e47e0a2af34520f3.jpg

This is a model wearing the basic ensemble I saw on elegant night on Carnival dream. She was sitting at a table next to me.

(this is an image from google images). Her shorts had the white trim—running shorts, so like these but a little different.

I discreetly took a pic of her with her face not showing and mod here deleted it for whatever reason.

This shows what carnival allows in MRD on elegant night. I couldn’t care less and only took a pic for CC members to see. To show how casual it has gotten...

(She did have the hoodie all the way zipped up).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does not follow guidelines, but each ship is different as to how they enforce.