A Probably Stupid Question About Elegant Night

ShaniBell

and this was on a Carnival cruise? We always do 7-8 day cruises and I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a tux and ball gown on a Carnival cruise. Even last month there were as many shorts as there were khakis on elegant night. Not that it bothered me one bit at all either.

At the most I usually see suits or sports jackets for men and cocktail dresses for women.

I don't do 'elegant'. Black slacks and a nice top is the extent of my elegant. However on the Magic in May, on elegant night, a couple came in and he was wearing cutoff shorts and a printed T that said "Do I F'n look like I'm having fun" (and yes, it was spelled out in all its 4 letter glory). She had on a pair of Daisy Duke shorts and a tank so tight that nothing was left to the imagination. Both had on flip flops.

This makes me sad. We're going on our first cruise in October (5 days to Bahamas) and I've been looking forward to Elegant Night for a chance to dress up with my family. Now I feel we may be overdressed. :(

Don't be sad, you can still dress up. Nobody is going to laugh at you or look at you funny. There will be a couple of other people dressed up as well. Enjoy your cruise and don't think too much into the dinner attire.

This makes me sad. We're going on our first cruise in October (5 days to Bahamas) and I've been looking forward to Elegant Night for a chance to dress up with my family. Now I feel we may be overdressed. :(

Wear what you want. If you were talking long dress and tux, you might be the only one, but so what, who cares? Wear what makes you happy.

Yeah, first cruise I went on..I was one step lower than a tux. Jacket , vest w/my grandfathers pocket watch, my favorite button down, favorite tie (trend going on here) slacks, favorite belt, and my gaudy eel shoes. I thought I wouldn't fit in, like the first time I went to see Le Mis..but I felt overdressed. I did get a lot of compliments though. I still just go with a suit..cause I like dressing up, and my wife rarely has a chance to buy and wear a pretty dress. Honestly, I don't mind people not getting dressed up, to me it's a blue collar cruise line, and it's 2018, society seems to be moving farther away from the traditional suit. I do get offended when I see dudes with cut off shirts though, I mean put a tiny bit of effort in, eh?

Yeah, first cruise I went on..I was one step lower than a tux. Jacket , vest w/my grandfathers pocket watch, my favorite button down, favorite tie (trend going on here) slacks, favorite belt, and my gaudy eel shoes. I thought I wouldn't fit in, like the first time I went to see Le Mis..but I felt overdressed. I did get a lot of compliments though. I still just go with a suit..cause I like dressing up, and my wife rarely has a chance to buy and wear a pretty dress. Honestly, I don't mind people not getting dressed up, to me it's a blue collar cruise line, and it's 2018, society seems to be moving farther away from the traditional suit. I do get offended when I see dudes with cut off shirts though, I mean put a tiny bit of effort in, eh?

We pay thousands each cruise, so I’d hardly call it a blue collar line.

A 3day booze cruise out of FLL maybe. A 5 or 7day out of New Orleans, no.

My two cents - I think people are wearing less dressy clothes to dinner because of threads like this where they're told not to. New cruisers ask about dress code & the answers are not to worry about it. So they don't.

We do dress up to an extent every night. I wear nice capri's & a blouse, my husband wears dress pants & a polo or a shirt & tie. On elegant night, I wear cocktail dresses & he wears his suit. Same with our grown children.

There are several options for dinner. Each has a different theme....BBQ, buffet, Dining room, Italian, Steakhouse, etc. Just like at home, we dress accordingly.

My two cents - I think people are wearing less dressy clothes to dinner because of threads like this where they're told not to. New cruisers ask about dress code & the answers are not to worry about it. So they don't.

Maybe, but if you've cruised for more than 10 years you'd also see that there is nothing special about the night any more. It used to be themed events, ice carvings, gala buffet, etc... Now it's just basically regular dinner with 2 15 minute photo ops w the Captain.

Wild idea; if the cruise line starts hosting more events with theming tied to Elegant Night, like they used to do, it might encourage more participation. Calling a night "whatever" theme and then basically doing nothing doesn't really make people want to go through the effort.

Okay, I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I've searched and can't find anything. Hubby and I are set to travel on the Imagination on July 29th. It's a quick 4 night trip. I am pretty sure the Elegant night is on night #2. Honestly, I'd rather not have to pack a dress and heels and get all done up and hubby would certainly rather not don a suit. Are we going to feel out of place if we don't dress up that night?

You answered your own question. 2 thumbs up (y)(y)

I am currently on this 4-night itinerary. I went to dinner in the MDR tonight wearing casual shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops. I did not feel the least bit out of place.

Tomorrow is elegant night. I plan to switch up and go with a v-neck shirt, instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk