Hey no more wine packages on RCI?

Best way to do this.

When you are boarding the ship, have your two bottles of wine in your carry on luggage. Also pack an wine opener if you go the cork route vs screw top. Your cabin steward can and will supply a wine opener but it may be a little wimpy. There may or may not be wine glasses in the cabin, most likely not. Buy a glass of wine in any of the bars and return to your cabin with it in hand.

Upon finishing the purchased glass of wine, refill it from your brought on-board bottle of wine. Proceed around the ship with this glass of wine. Feel free to return to your cabin as needed to replenish.

Now to back up a bit. Why I recommend putting the wine in your carry luggage, is that if it is packed in your checked baggage, it may be flagged for further review and you may need to go to the naughty room to retrieve said baggage.

Best way to do this.

When you are boarding the ship, have your two bottles of wine in your carry on luggage. Also pack an wine opener if you go the cork route vs screw top. Your cabin steward can and will supply a wine opener but it may be a little wimpy. There may or may not be wine glasses in the cabin, most likely not. Buy a glass of wine in any of the bars and return to your cabin with it in hand.

Upon finishing the purchased glass of wine, refill it from your brought on-board bottle of wine. Proceed around the ship with this glass of wine. Feel free to return to your cabin as needed to replenish.

Now to back up a bit. Why I recommend putting the wine in your carry luggage, is that if it is packed in your checked baggage, it may be flagged for further review and you may need to go to the naughty room to retrieve said baggage.

Lol ... yeah that has happened to us before. We waited and waited for the luggage to come and went to the main dining room in our arrival clothes. Still no cases and we had to ask.

We have further thought that for this trip we might bypass the porters and bring our small cases on board with us. We have done this before and it is a minor inconvenience having to wheel it around. We hit the pool straight after getting on the ship anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal would charge $30 (or more) for that $8 bottle of wine.

Does the fact they charge $30 for a $8 bottle of wine make it any better? Isn’t it still an $8 bottle of wine. I mean, who really enjoys an $8 bottle of wine? MD 20/20 can be had for $2 and Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill for $7.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does the fact they charge $30 for a $8 bottle of wine make it any better? Isn’t it still an $8 bottle of wine. I mean, who really enjoys an $8 bottle of wine? MD 20/20 can be had for $2 and Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill for $7.

Many people enjoy $4 bottles of wine.

The Clos du Bois Merlot that RC always gives as a gift is only a $10 bottle of wine (at least where I live), Royal sells it for $48 a bottle. It is actually a decent wine, but I wouldn’t pay that much for it.

Many people enjoy $4 bottles of wine.

I miss my cheap red wine from Sicily in a plastic gallon milk jug. My daughter used to work for Royal as lightning designer/tech for the ice shows!

I didn't know you could bring your own wine aboard. We are not big drinkers, so the drink packages make no sense for us. But since we arrive in town the day before, we'll stop and pick up 2 bottles of wine to take with us. We probably won't even finish them both before we return. But I sometimes enjoy a little wine with dinner or when getting dressed to go. We'll pack the the corkscrew and silicone stopper and be all set. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Sue

We have had some pretty good success with taking the plastic bladder out of a boxed wine and packing it in the suitcase. Doesn't show up on X-ray... we pack it in a hard-cased suitcase and it goes through just fine. We borrow a couple glasses and drink it in the room, take it to dinner, or walk the ship with no worries. If you like spirits, you can purchase bladders on Amazon and they work great too.

We have had some pretty good success with taking the plastic bladder out of a boxed wine and packing it in the suitcase. Doesn't show up on X-ray... we pack it in a hard-cased suitcase and it goes through just fine. We borrow a couple glasses and drink it in the room, take it to dinner, or walk the ship with no worries. If you like spirits, you can purchase bladders on Amazon and they work great too.

Your only taking two per stateroom?

Hmm 15 plus 8 = 23 and so we would save 7 dollars ... we can splurge on vacation and not the hassle when they X-ray the luggage and delay our stuff. To us it ain’t worth the trouble ...

We like to try wines that aren't on the RCI list. If we're going to Italy, for example, we'll bring a couple of bottles of a local wine onboard. We often have the winetender in Vintages open it up and taste it with us. It's a fun thing to do.

There are plenty of $8-10 wines on the shelves in California that are very good.

I am reminded of a neighbor who, back in 2002, told me at a party that he was very particular about his wine. So I offered him a glass of Charles Shaw, which was a new label at the time. He tasted it and pronounced it excellent, having no idea that it was the now-famous (or infamous) Two Buck Chuck.

Hmm 15 plus 8 = 23 and so we would save 7 dollars ... we can splurge on vacation and not the hassle when they X-ray the luggage and delay our stuff. To us it ain’t worth the trouble ...

I'm not sure you get it.

Sure you could bring an $8 bottle of wine on board and save a few dollars.

Or you could, say, bring a bottle (or two) of Dom Perignon 2006 on board for your special occasion that you got for ~$150 at the local liquor store and pay the $15 corkage fee, or you could pay the $350 or whatever price the ship charges for the same bottle, if they even have it.

I know what I would do.

Are you allowed to bring Champers on board? It's for Hubby's special Birthday.

Never heard of Champers, but if does not look like a 750ml bottle of wine, you will likely have a problem.

I did a quick search people in the UK call champagne "Champers". If this what you are talking about, then yes you can as long as it is a 750 ml bottle.

Are you allowed to bring Champers on board? It's for Hubby's special Birthday.