Choosing a Dining Option on Horizon

jandlcruise

My husband and I are booked on the Horizon in February of 2020. We chose Your Time Dining since we wanted some flexibility. In the past we have mostly chosen early or late seatings but this time wanted to try something different. I have been reading that there are excessive wait times for YTD on the Horizon and wanted to ask for opinions on your choice for dining and why-thanks!

IMHO, take an assigned time dining.

Why? Simple Your Time Dining is not yours.

On this ship you have go first to deck five to register to eat each night in YTD..

Yes even on the VISTA when it was brand new we had to do that even as a Platinum .

Having an assigned Dining Time makes you a real benefit as so few are avaialble if any.

What ever you choose, may your cruise be well with out many sea swells..

IMHO it is the Ships HotMan ( Hotel Manger) making this aweful decision for passengers to wait in a long line to eat waiting in another LONG line.... but looking at it in a Corporate view ..: inasmuchas of all those waiting in those two Long Lines..many will get drinks and so profits are increased as revenues roll in...

We were on the June 21-25 Bermuda 4 day and had YTD. We usually went down at 5:45 to Level 5 and NEVER had to wait - we were told to go immediately to the dining room and were seated as soon as we walked in. We did notice when we passed the check-in spot on 5 after we were done eating (about an hour or so later) that there was a line, but nothing crazy.

BTW, with all the negative reviews of the Horizon, I have to say we had an absolutely wonderful time! I had low expectations given the reviews, but the cruise was outstanding and the ship beautiful. I would sail her again in a heartbeat!!

We were on the June 21-25 Bermuda 4 day and had YTD. We usually went down at 5:45 to Level 5 and NEVER had to wait - we were told to go immediately to the dining room and were seated as soon as we walked in. We did notice when we passed the check-in spot on 5 after we were done eating (about an hour or so later) that there was a line, but nothing crazy.

BTW, with all the negative reviews of the Horizon, I have to say we had an absolutely wonderful time! I had low expectations given the reviews, but the cruise was outstanding and the ship beautiful. I would sail her again in a heartbeat!!

Thank-you for saying that, I have seen the negative reviews too and wondered what was the problem.

Thank-you for saying that, I have seen the negative reviews too and wondered what was the problem.

I couldn’t understand it either - people spoke of the crowding, but on more than one occasion I turned to my husband and asked, “Where are all the people?”!! There was, literally, no one around. A few nights we went to the Havana bar to listen to the band and it was empty, save for a very talented, older couple dancing. My friend and I decided to go for a swim at the Tides pool (aft) one morning after our hubbies went on the “Behind The Fun” tour, and there was only one other woman in the pool with us - heaven!

Don’t be scared by the reviews - the ship is gorgeous, our service was impeccable and I can’t say a bad thing about our cruise.

(y)(y)

We had the app on our phone. When we wanted to eat, we went to the app, was told it would be no longer that 5 minutes. By the time we got to the restuarant, out table was ready. We ate anytime between 6 and 8:30. Loved any time dinner and the elevators.

This is just my opinion but on the Vista and I imagine it's the same on the Horizon the ATD was the aft dining room and there is no place to sit and wait on deck 3. It's just the elevator lobby and then the entrance to the dining room. So it makes sense to check in on deck 5 where there is seating available and then go down to 3 once your table is ready. On other ships the downstairs of the middle dining room is ATD and there is plenty of seating in the atrium area to wait until your table is ready.

IMHO, take an assigned time dining.

Why? Simple Your Time Dining is not yours.

On this ship you have go first to deck five to register to eat each night in YTD..

We had the app on our phone. When we wanted to eat, we went to the app, was told it would be no longer that 5 minutes. By the time we got to the restuarant, out table was ready. We ate anytime between 6 and 8:30. Loved any time dinner and the elevators.
Take the advice of a person who has actually sailed on the Horizon and has had a positive experience with the Carnival Hub App on their cell phone. Even though things were a bit complicated on the Vista with AAAAmerican, obviously improvements have been made on the Horizon and 19 months from now when you sail, there should be no problems at all.

You need to take everything that you're reading negative wise with a major grain of salt. The ship will have growing pains and 90% of the problems that cruisers are complaining about will be gone in 19 months. Between now and then, I would have sailed on her twice as you can see in my signature and I am not worried one bit.