Does our 16 yr old need a passport

plunker

We personally chose to get passports for our children starting at age 2. Given the fact that they are only valid for 5 years until they are issued at the age of 16, I can understand why some families chose not to do so for young children when vacationing solely through closed loop cruises. However, by the time a child turns 16 I think it would be best to obtain a passport since it is quite likely that he or she will use the passport enough times for it to be worth the cost within 10 years.

The long running argument about the need for a passport is up there with the argument about dress codes. It appears only pax from the US resist getting a passport as most other countries citizens see it as a normal effort. If you have to fly back into the US, you have to have a passport. The ships and airplanes wanting to enter the USA have to be cleared before leaving the distant location. This entails submitting a list of passengers and their passport information. You certainly can go to the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to get the needed documentation. However a few problems will arise such as the nearest Embassy/Consulate is on another island or far into the interior of the country necessitating expensive travel to get there. The Embassy/Consulates are closed on US national and local holidays. To get a passport or even passport replacement, they must send a request to the State Department for the information and we all know that government always moves at lightening speed! An emergency on your part seldom translates to an emergency on their part. Don't have a passport and need one in a foreign country? Prepare to wait hours if not days, all at your expense. Passports are so easy to get while in the US.

We took our 4 y/o DGD and her parents on a Caribbean cruise. They all had a passport. Our DGD has since renewed her passport to go with us again.

I would definitely get him a passport and I would definitely not take his social security card, which is never needed on a cruise. You really don't need it other then when applying for a job, bank account, or driver's license. It's really hard to replace them if lost or stolen (not to mention that someone could use it and steal your identity). I used to work for the SSA and people were constantly trying to replace stolen or lost cards and it's a pain, not to mention the SSA is like the DMV in terms of wait time. And since he is 16, it will last him 10 years and could be useful to have if he studies or travels abroad in college, military, etc.

My husband was medivc back to the home following a hear t attack on our TA last August and transferred to ST Johns Newfoundland, believe me, I needed to send his passport with him in the jet he was transported back in, some 4300 miles back to Calif. The passport is well worth having