sea sickness

Katrinamp

I have heard different things about seasickness on board big cruise ships, so I am looking for some insight. We are planning a cruise on the Star Princess in April to the Western Carribean. Does the boat rock alot or do you not feel the motion because it is such a big ship? Does it feel like you are on dry land? If not, what do you recommend someone take who is prone to motion sickness?

you feel the motion on any ship out there unless the seas are calm.Take some bonine the day before and everyday of the cruise and have a great time.The first thing about motion sickness is to beat it to the punch.I've been on cruises where i didn't take it and was fine and others where i wished i had.

Have a great time

Jeff

from my experience, it depends on what deck you will be on. when i was in the carnival victory. i was on deck 1 forward (the very bottom deck!!!!)and it really bothered me and i took the sea sickness pills that the info desk gave me. i was fine after taking the pills, but then i slept most of the afternoons.

in the rcl explorer of the seas, i was in deck 7 forward also, but deck 7 is the middle of the ship and so i was fine.

the other deck i was in was empress deck in other carnvial ships and i felt fine also.

just to be safe, take the sea sickness pills if you don't feel well. ask princess to see if the info desk would supply them free of charge (as in carnival victory).

have a good time.

My husband takes meclizine (the generic version of Bonine) every evening, so if it makes him sleepy, he's trying to sleep anyway.

We also select a cabin as low and midships as possible.

A few drinks, A few laughs and no one gets hurt.

Enjoy the cruise and don't fill your head with the seasick crap, it is all hype anyway. Only you can be the judge. Only worry about the bar running out of booze.:D

I get sea sick and am quite sensitive to motion. I swear by the patch you wear behind your ear. It's Scopolomine and you need a prescription from your doctor. I wore it the first three days of a 7 day cruise and then once I was acclimated I didn't use it. But it took me two days to get my land legs back when we got home. I wish it were all in my head. Don't risk it. Take meds with you.

I always suggest taking a sea-sickness pill just prior or right after boarding and maybe a half tablet every day after that to avoid any and all problems - why wait until it is too late?! Think about it...you've paid a lot of hard-earned money for this cruise and your vacation time is precious, why waste it sick in your cabin when it could have been avoided by spending a few bucks and taking a few pills?!

I've been on a few cruises where the first night in the dining room was more empty than full because of some rough seas.

Bottom line...better safe than sea-sick!

Another vote for Bonine. It's effective and doesn't make me sleepy. I usually take it in the morning, and I'm on the go all day. I drink moderately (2-3 a day is moderate on vacation) and it doen't bother me. I'm prone to all types of motion sickness but have never had a problem on a ship with Bonine.

I would suggest ginger pills, unless you like to sleep (from bodine).

Maybe a cocktail will do you if you do.

I get seasick on small craft, but have yet to feel any sickness on a cruise.

You are unlikely to feel a thing.

Where do you buy ginger pills?

Is bonine over the counter or by perscription? and is it better or worse than the patch. I had the patch on my last cruise and was great. The patch is on back order right now so I was wondering about bonine. Please help!

Candied ginger works as well. Bring some medication for the "what if" but I doubt you will have a need for it. These ships have great stabilizers and you will be having such a good time that seasickness will not enter your mind!Put a smile on your face, pack that positive attitude, enjoy!

As someone who has been prone to motion sickness ALL my life, i've never had a problem on any of my 4 cruises. This includes a little 27,000 ton ship right up to 109,000 tons. What my wife & I were told at the first breakfast by seasoned cruisers was, keep your stomach full. One morning I woke up, water was rough and I started to feel the motion. We went up for breakfast and after eating I felt fine.

Cruisinbuddy;)

I used to worry about cruising as I was the worst sailer ever !

Always sick whilst still in site of land,My wife wanted to cruise to Alaska but there was absolutely no way I would go .

So I researched the subject just like you and came across the Relief Band.

This is an electrical batterry operated device made in Usa ,it looks like a watch and is worn on the wrist ,sending impulses to the brain to stop sea sickness .

It works great and now I have just booked our third cruise.

So my advice is forget the drugs and the side efffects they bring and get the Relief band,just type it into your search engine and sail away!!!!

Where do you buy ginger pills?

You can get them in the vitamin section of places like Target and WalMart and probably other places like that. They are pretty cheap too from what I have seen.

I am not prone to sea sickness myself (but have learned a few things from rough sea nights from others/my kids). But just in case you are on the ship and start to feel sick, don't go back to your cabin and lie down!! Go outside/on deck and get some fresh air!! (Don't look down at the water though!) Fresh Air helps tremendously!! My kids got sick on a really rough night, we took their blankets up to the Lido deck, pulled down some deck chairs and sat out there until they got sleepy enough to go back to the room and just go to sleep! Worked wonders!!

Always eat enough so you aren't queasy from hunger (not usually a problem on a cruise) and drink plenty of water to keep hydrated. Any medicine that you may want to take only works if you take it before feeling sick. Like everyone has said, take it before you actually begin your cruise to get it in your system.

More than likely though, you won't have a problem. About the biggest thing that may play with your mind is the fact that you are on a ship, but it looks like a building on the inside and it is moving...That was really strange to me my first cruise. But, don't worry, these big ships are pretty smooth!! You have made a good decision too to try the Western Caribbean - it is a lot smoother (my experience) ride.

Have a great cruise!!

I always take a big ship because really prone to motion sickness from EVERYTHING. I like the nondrowsy Dramamine better than Bonine. If you truly are prone to sea sickness I would be leary of depending on giner and bands. I believe ginger aides digestion and helps nausea, but you want to prevent ever getting to the point of nausiousness. The last 2 times I cruised you definitely felt the movement, but it was nothing like a small boat rocking. I had no problems on the ship - took the Dramimine the first few days, then occasionally after that. I did have a lot of land sickness after the cruise. I tried the Dramimine on land and it helped, but I still felt really crappy for 3 days. Riding in a car would set it off. Walking down a long hallway with any kind of pattern on the floor would make me start staggering.:p Don't be obsessed with it, but go prepared.

Hi...we are sailing on 2/4 on the Sun and I just went to our local Wal-Mart and got the Bonine...and just how does one pronounce it...is it long O and long I (like the number nine) or is it (neen like keen)...anyway I did not realize they are chewable....I got 16 tablets for $4.86...I am wondering if I should have gotten 2....I am not sure if 1 per day will be OK?? When I fly I take Dramamine but it makes me very drowsy...so I am hoping Bonine will be better...

It is in fact the same as dramamine, same ingredient and strength. More than one and you will sleep through the cruise, also you are not suppose to take it and drink alcohol if that matters to you. you do not have to chew them you can swallow them.

I always take a big ship because really prone to motion sickness from EVERYTHING. I like the nondrowsy Dramamine better than Bonine. If you truly are prone to sea sickness I would be leary of depending on giner and bands. I believe ginger aides digestion and helps nausea, but you want to prevent ever getting to the point of nausiousness. The last 2 times I cruised you definitely felt the movement, but it was nothing like a small boat rocking. I had no problems on the ship - took the Dramimine the first few days, then occasionally after that. I did have a lot of land sickness after the cruise. I tried the Dramimine on land and it helped, but I still felt really crappy for 3 days. Riding in a car would set it off. Walking down a long hallway with any kind of pattern on the floor would make me start staggering.:p Don't be obsessed with it, but go prepared.

Land Sickness?! What is that? Is it common?

Archived