Would YOU Do It???

Personally I'd go to the nicest resort or "fun" destination within easy driving distance of your home and make the most of that with such limited time. Air travel has just become too much of a pain in the neck.

Yes, that's what I'd do instead for 3 days - a luxury staycation.

Yes, that's what I'd do instead for 3 days - a luxury staycation.

And considering the overall price of cruise + airfare, you could have a VERY luxurious staycation for less money. And more of your time would actually be spent relaxing, not flying in the day before.

We did it. I gave a short 4-night cruise to my sweetie as a Christmas present (complete with an ornament with the ship name--Majesty--and the sailing date). The look on his face was worth it all. We drove to Port Canaveral from NC (usually takes 6.5 hours) after a huge snowstorm. Took us more than 9 hours to get there. STILL worth it. Plenty of relaxation time. Plenty of "us" time. The only hard part was keeping the secret! Go for it! You both will love it.

Have you thought of doing something a little different? How about a cruise on the great lakes. Late September thru Mid October has beautiful fall color cruises and if you're nearer the port, you wouldn't have to fly.

I'll check into it. The only ones I'd seen so far were at least for 7 days, which is more than we can swing at the moment.

Had a blast on the sailing to Bermuda with DW and the kids, though her and I reminisced a bit on our past trips with formal night dinners, specialty restaurants, and being able to float as we pleased without the kids (trying not to make it sound horrible!).

Anniversary is coming up in September and I wanted to surprise her with a quick trip - just the two of us.

In Laws have no problem watching our boys for an extended weekend (Friday - Monday).

I'm sure we can find some cheap airfare, and I'm having our TA look into it.

The question I have is - has anyone that lived in the Midwest (or far enough away from a port) found it worth a quick 3 night cruise just to get away? (I know that a lot of it is subjective, and it's all on what you want to spend... but I'm still curious about others' input!)

Never would do it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dbarton - before our kids were grown, i really loved any getaway! I feel on vacation from the time we leave the driveway☺

Very true! I remember days when my 3 were still very young going to the mall or even the grocery store alone felt like heaven. Our "date night" for about 3 years was either dinner at home after the kids went to bed or a quick meal and some errands, like Christmas shopping, while we had the sitter.

I would do it.

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

I did recently, surprised my husband with a three day Bahama trip. Wasn’t really a lot of time on the boat as we stopped in two ports. We flew in the morning of and flew out immediately after the cruise. It was rushed but then again it was only three days. It did not seem to be a booze cruise, not a lot of partiers. I thought it was fine for what it was my husband was so surprised but then again we are not huge cruisers we have been on four other cruises. And this was the first time it was just the two of us and not in a big group

People do it all the time.

I did it for several years as an annual Girls’ Getaway.

And choose the new revitalized Mariner!!!!

I have done the same annually and twice a year on a few occasions. Good little getaway and we flew each time from Canada although we always have tagged at least one night in hotel prior to cruise. I say go for it. Enjoy!

This thread is actually making me want to return to Chicago (I’m in the UK). We hopped up there from Fort Walton Beach one weekend from a DH work trip just so I could see Da Bears. The flight was worth it even for only one night. So...

...life is for living, enjoy!

Edited by _linda_

This thread is actually making me want to return to Chicago (I’m in the UK). We hopped up there from Fort Walton Beach one weekend from a DH work trip just so I could see Da Bears. The flight was worth it even for only one night. So...

...life is for living, enjoy!

There's a lot more to see and do each time you go back. The construction is ridiculous (in a good way).

You can gain the same 5-10 pounds you would on a cruise here too!

Next time you're back, check out Au Cheval or the Publican!

There's a lot more to see and do each time you go back. The construction is ridiculous (in a good way).

You can gain the same 5-10 pounds you would on a cruise here too!

Next time you're back, check out Au Cheval or the Publican!

*like*

Maybe CHI is on route from London to an Alaskan cruise...

*like*

Maybe CHI is on route from London to an Alaskan cruise...

We live only an hour from the city and when we go in for the day we don't want to leave. Very easy to drop several hundred $$ per day between rooms, parking, food, shopping, entrance fees, just so many great things you want to do, so we don't do it as often as we'd like. Hopefully you can fit in a few days next time you pass through.

i might- good thing about short cruises would be affordability. might be able to get a GS or above at a good price and be good and spoiled for a couple days. does seem a long way to go, but if my husband ever said "pack a bag, we are getting on a ship", i would be all about it!

We live only an hour from the city and when we go in for the day we don't want to leave. Very easy to drop several hundred $$ per day between rooms, parking, food, shopping, entrance fees, just so many great things you want to do, so we don't do it as often as we'd like. Hopefully you can fit in a few days next time you pass through.

Now I'm curious where "South Chicago" is. I'm in the south burbs, but people would look at me like I had a second head if I tell them (especially out of towners) since they have no clue about the surrounding suburbs!

I'm Mokena/Frankfort.

Doesn't have the same ring as Chicago!

Personally, I wouldn't do less than a four-day trip. That's the shortest I've done and I specified to the TA that I wanted us to hit TWO ports of call. (We visited Cozumel and Key West.) It was just enough to feel like a vacation. I applaud your initiative, but I would try to wrangle four days, rather than three.

But why not just take one 7 day sailing that goes to multiple destinations? Seems a lot easier...and exciting.

I guess what I should’ve said in the first post is it seems like a waste of money for the airfare for a 3 or 4 day cruise. Was just offering a suggestion. Next time I won’t.

Wow, I know flying sucks- but I have flown for work where I am down and back two nights for a one day meeting. If you can get good air I would do it! The hassle would be so worth the getaway time. FYI, my kiddos are all grown up now (19 and 24) and our first vacation without the kids was this past spring. Go and have fun!