Daughter's from Russia - What proof should we bring to board?

Hello,

We are anxiously awaiting our cruise in a little over a week. But as I prepare documents and check in, I am worried...

So my daughter is adopted from Russia. Long story short, she has a US passport card. However her birth certificate and proof of citizenship are like GOLD to us and are in Russian (along with English translation). If we lose it, we're gonna have a hell of a time replacing it. Therefore, that goes without saying that we only have 1 original copy.

We would rather not bring it, but understand if we absolutely have to.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? Could we just get away with bringing the passport card?

Thanks in advance!!!

Melissa

The US passport card is sufficient for a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port.

However, if you have the passport booklet, I'd bring that too.

Edited by Host Clarea

I really don't mean to be personal, but as she is adopted doesn't she have a new birth certificate with your name(s) on it? Why does her original birth certificate have anything to do with her traveling?

Since the adoption, has she gotten her US citizenship?

You say she has a passport card... Is this a USA passport card? Assuming so, then passport card is sufficient for your cruise. If your daughter is a minor, I would bring along the paperwork that proves you are the adoptive parents. (If you all share the same last name, this should not even be asked for... but better safe than sorry.)

Aloha,

John

I really don't mean to be personal, but as she is adopted doesn't she have a new birth certificate with your name(s) on it? Why does her original birth certificate have anything to do with her traveling?

Russian adopted children maintain dual citizenship. They remain citizens of Russia until age 18 and they renounce their Russian Citizenship while they are also citizens of their adopted land in this case the United States as such the original Russian birth certificate with translation is one of the key identity documents for the child. Should the child wish to return to Russia for a visit they must return under their Russian travel documents not their American ones.

I would highly recommend getting an American passport book in addition to the passport card and keep all of the original documents at home in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russian adopted children maintain dual citizenship. They remain citizens of Russia until age 18 and they renounce their Russian Citizenship while they are also citizens of their adopted land in this case the United States as such the original Russian birth certificate with translation is one of the key identity documents for the child. Should the child wish to return to Russia for a visit they must return under their Russian travel documents not their American ones.

I would highly recommend getting an American passport book in addition to the passport card and keep all of the original documents at home in the safe.

Thanks for the clarification but as they are not traveling to Russia I don't see why the child would be treated differently than anyone else. I agree with the US passport book - seems like it would make everyones life less complicated.

Hello,

We are anxiously awaiting our cruise in a little over a week. But as I prepare documents and check in, I am worried...

So my daughter is adopted from Russia. Long story short, she has a US passport card. However her birth certificate and proof of citizenship are like GOLD to us and are in Russian (along with English translation). If we lose it, we're gonna have a hell of a time replacing it. Therefore, that goes without saying that we only have 1 original copy.

We would rather not bring it, but understand if we absolutely have to.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? Could we just get away with bringing the passport card?

Thanks in advance!!!

Melissa

If she has a US passport card, she is a US Citizen. She doesn't need any other document. The only question I have is her last name the same as yours?If not it might be advisable to have proof of adoption proof with you...

I thought your info was extremely interesting.

I have two citizenships as well - Russia and the US. So do my parents. We always come back to the US using only the US passport. Our Russian birth certificates don't even travel with us - they stay in a safe at home. We bring Russian passports with us only when we travel to Russia or countries that don't require a visa for Russian citizens, but require them for US citizens.

When your DD reenters the US, she reenters as a US citizen only and needs to only show a US passport/card. The fact that she was adopted from Russia or has another citizenship has nothing to do with her reentry from a cruise. It won't even come up. For all intents and purposes, she is a US citizen who is coming back from a trip.

This is going to be our child's 4th cruise - and NOT ONCE was his US citizenship questioned at the border. Not a single question asked of him. You are overthinking this greatly.

All of us have a passport book, not a card, just in case we ever need to interrupt the cruise in an emergency and come back to the US by air.

I have two citizenships as well - Russia and the US. So do my parents. We always come back to the US using only the US passport. Our Russian birth certificates don't even travel with us - they stay in a safe at home. We bring Russian passports with us only when we travel to Russia or countries that don't require a visa for Russian citizens, but require them for US citizens.

When your DD reenters the US, she reenters as a US citizen only and needs to only show a US passport/card. The fact that she was adopted from Russia or has another citizenship has nothing to do with her reentry from a cruise. It won't even come up. For all intents and purposes, she is a US citizen who is coming back from a trip.

This is going to be our child's 4th cruise - and NOT ONCE was his US citizenship questioned at the border. Not a single question asked of him. You are overthinking this greatly.

All of us have a passport book, not a card, just in case we ever need to interrupt the cruise in an emergency and come back to the US by air.

The only potential problem is if the child does not have the same last name. Then RCCL requires proof of family connection with the parent whether it is a birth or adoption certificate. If all names match, no problemo, passport card is fine for Caribbean cruises.

The only potential problem is if the child does not have the same last name. Then RCCL requires proof of family connection with the parent whether it is a birth or adoption certificate. If all names match, no problemo, passport card is fine for Caribbean cruises.

the child is adopted. Surely, she got the same last name as at least one of the parents. At least that would be my assumption - I haven't met a single family who adopted a kid from overseas and didn't change their last name to theirs. And why wouldn't they?

the child is adopted. Surely, she got the same last name as at least one of the parents. At least that would be my assumption - I haven't met a single family who adopted a kid from overseas and didn't change their last name to theirs. And why wouldn't they?

Yes, I agree with you, but am a bit puzzled why, with a US passport card she feels the need to take her original birth certificate... maybe she will come back and tell us.

We adopted our daughter from China, and I've always traveled with all of her paperwork and guard it with my life - passport, certificate of citizenship, court order from the U.S. court that domesticated the foreign adoption, and U.S. state birth certificate that we were able to get with the U.S. court order (it's called a Certificate of Foreign Birth, same document that military kids born on U.S. bases abroad can get - but it's a birth certificate equivalent that names us both as her parents, and it's in English). I keep copies of everything in a safe place back home.

We adopted our daughter from China, and I've always traveled with all of her paperwork and guard it with my life - passport, certificate of citizenship, court order from the U.S. court that domesticated the foreign adoption, and U.S. state birth certificate that we were able to get with the U.S. court order (it's called a Certificate of Foreign Birth, same document that military kids born on U.S. bases abroad can get - but it's a birth certificate equivalent that names us both as her parents, and it's in English). I keep copies of everything in a safe place back home.

Again, I'm not trying to get too personal, but since the topic is being discussed here I would just like to understand why it is necessary for you to travel with all of your daughters documents. Perhaps the same rules apply to children adopted from China as Russia, but if she has a US passport book, why is anything else necessary unless she returns to China?

Simply trying to be more informed.