Something other than Rome

amyh13

We are cruising the western Mediterranean next summer. One of the families traveling with us did an Italy trip this summer. They feel like they covered Rome pretty well.

Are there other excursions or day trips from Civitavecchia that are good?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ostia Antica isn't too far from the ship and very worth a 3-4 hr. visit. People say it's better than Pompeii.

I'd say this falls into the category of "People can say it but that doesn't make it true." ;)

Having spent about a total of 6 days in Pompeii over the years and 3 days in Ostia, Pompeii has much more variety -- plus, of course, its unique and iconic history. You never forget the first time you reach the Forum there and see Vesuvius looming above it. And in the last couple of years (since being shamed by UNESCO) there has been a real effort to open some of the best preserved houses in Pompeii that BY FAR top anything you can see in Ostia.

Now having said that, is Ostia worth visiting? It definitely is. :)

We are cruising the western Mediterranean next summer. One of the families traveling with us did an Italy trip this summer. They feel like they covered Rome pretty well.

Are there other excursions or day trips from Civitavecchia that are good?

First let me say that if you personally have not been to Rome, you should not pass up the opportunity to see it just because another part of your group has been there.

I've been to Rome over a dozen times and still find incredible new things to see and do there every time I visit. Rome has such a wealth of art, history, culture, architecture, food, etc. that it is virtually impossible to do it all in one or even a handful of visits. Even sites that are considered "second tier" in Rome would be "must see" places in any other city.

For example: People visit the Vatican museum, but what of the Borghese gallery, the Capitoline Museum, the several branches of the Museo Na(z)ionale, etc. And one could fill a whole week just visiting some of the best art in churches -- including Michelangelo sculptures, Bernini and Borromini interiors, and more. If you like ancient history there's a lot in addition to the Colosseum and Forum: Trajan's market, the Baths of Caracalla, the Forum Boarium, the Via Appia with its catacombs...

First let me say that if you personally have not been to Rome, you should not pass up the opportunity to see it just because another part of your group has been there.

I've been to Rome over a dozen times and still find incredible new things to see and do there every time I visit. Rome has such a wealth of art, history, culture, architecture, food, etc. that it is virtually impossible to do it all in one or even a handful of visits. Even sites that are considered "second tier" in Rome would be "must see" places in any other city.

For example: People visit the Vatican museum, but what of the Borghese gallery, the Capitoline Museum, the several branches of the Museo Na(z)ionale, etc. And one could fill a whole week just visiting some of the best art in churches -- including Michelangelo sculptures, Bernini and Borromini interiors, and more. If you like ancient history there's a lot in addition to the Colosseum and Forum: Trajan's market, the Baths of Caracalla, the Forum Boarium, the Via Appia with its catacombs...

Sorry if I was confusing in my post. My family will be going to Rome. I was just asking for them.

Ah, apologies for misunderstanding.

There are a few other options from Civitavecchia -- one of them would be to visit the beautiful (and mysterious) painted Etruscan tombs at Tarquinia, as well as the museum in the town itself. This is sometimes offered as a tour but could also be done on your own via local bus or as a private tour.

Orvieto may be another option but cruise lines seem to rarely offer it. A private tour would work and may possibly combine a visit to this charming hilltown with a stop in Civita di Bagnoregio, an even more scenic place.

• Like 1

I’d recommend Tarquinia. We were there a few days ago from Civitavecchia. We got the Cotral bus from opposite StFrancis cathedral. You have to get the tickets beforehand. We bought ours at the railway station - they were train tickets but useable on the bus. Cotral has a good website with a timetable.

We didn’t visit the tombs, but did go in the museum there. We loved the town75446a3cfdcdb770b649098ceb62d23a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums094d02f82218961c46d28f6e790dbfcc.jpg

Ah, apologies for misunderstanding.

There are a few other options from Civitavecchia -- one of them would be to visit the beautiful (and mysterious) painted Etruscan tombs at Tarquinia, as well as the museum in the town itself. This is sometimes offered as a tour but could also be done on your own via local bus or as a private tour.

Orvieto may be another option but cruise lines seem to rarely offer it. A private tour would work and may possibly combine a visit to this charming hilltown with a stop in Civita di Bagnoregio, an even more scenic place.

I would defintely agree with the option of private tour to Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio, they are wonderful.

I’d recommend Tarquinia. We were there a few days ago from Civitavecchia. We got the Cotral bus from opposite StFrancis cathedral. You have to get the tickets beforehand. We bought ours at the railway station - they were train tickets but useable on the bus. Cotral has a good website with a timetable.

We didn’t visit the tombs, but did go in the museum there. We loved the town75446a3cfdcdb770b649098ceb62d23a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums094d02f82218961c46d28f6e790dbfcc.jpg

I would agree that Tarquinia is a lovely day out. We visited the tombs too and loved the site. We went in the Autumn so weather was ideal for walking around though.