Sun Cuba-excursion help

Lorey2007

Ship will arrive in Havana at 8am what would be a good time to schedule a private old car tour? Do we need some kind of ticket to get off the ship?

Once off the ship are there places to see & shopping within walking distance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We booked a private tour last July, It took about 45 minutes to get through the tourist card, security and $ exchange lines then walk out to the street.

Check out recent reviews for the current process and times.

The tour guide will be across the street in the plaza. You will most likely walk through old town to the car/driver. It is hot, take cold water with you.

You are close to all the old town plazas with shops and restaurants. The souvenir market is a 10 minute walk down the street the port building is on.

We booked a private tour last July, It took about 45 minutes to get through the tourist card, security and $ exchange lines then walk out to the street.

Check out recent reviews for the current process and times.

The tour guide will be across the street in the plaza. You will most likely walk through old town to the car/driver. It is hot, take cold water with you.

You are close to all the old town plazas with shops and restaurants. The souvenir market is a 10 minute walk down the street the port building is on.

Do you think 10:30 would be a safe time to reserve the tour? I really would like it earlier do you need to get some kind of ticket to get off the ship?

Ship will arrive in Havana at 8am what would be a good time to schedule a private old car tour? Do we need some kind of ticket to get off the ship?

Once off the ship are there places to see & shopping within walking distance?

We had a group of 4 for the old car tour. Set my pick up time at 9:30am. You will be required to get a number to get off the ship. They will put in the daily when and where to get you number. You want to get off as soon as you can. You will have to go threw customs, then have your stuff scanned. Then exchange your American dollars to the CUC. ( make sure to get some $1 coin to tip the locals when they help you or you take there pictures. FYI most of the public restrooms do not have toilet paper make sure to take some with you.) It will take 1/2 hr to 1hr to get off depending on your number. As soon as you walk out the terminal you will start seeing locals across the street. Turn left go about 2 blks and there were our Old Car Tour picked us up.

Edited by FL-Cruzer
more info

We had a group of 4 for the old car tour. Set my pick up time at 9:30am. You will be required to get a number to get off the ship. They will put in the daily when and where to get you number. You want to get off as soon as you can. You will have to go threw customs, then have your stuff scanned. Then exchange your American dollars to the CUC. ( make sure to get some $1 coin to tip the locals when they help you or you take there pictures. FYI most of the public restrooms do not have toilet paper make sure to take some with you.) It will take 1/2 hr to 1hr to get off depending on your number. As soon as you walk out the terminal you will start seeing locals across the street. Turn left go about 2 blks and there were our Old Car Tour picked us up.

Thanks for the clarification - we are also doing the Old Car Tour and they also advised us to turn left and walk 2 blocks to the Russian church to meet with them.

In separate thread we were advised to take CDN$ or Euros to exchange as if we use US$ we'd lose 10% of it.

Thank you for the advice about the CUC $1 coins - we'll make sure to ask for them while exchanging. And the bum wipes. :cool:

P.S. the ship docks at 10am and I asked for the 10:30am meet but they said it'd closer to 11:00am.

Thanks for the clarification - we are also doing the Old Car Tour and they also advised us to turn left and walk 2 blocks to the Russian church to meet with them.

In separate thread we were advised to take CDN$ or Euros to exchange as if we use US$ we'd lose 10% of it.

Thank you for the advice about the CUC $1 coins - we'll make sure to ask for them while exchanging. And the bum wipes. :cool:

P.S. the ship docks at 10am and I asked for the 10:30am meet but they said it'd closer to 11:00am.

Yes, give it at least that long. We docked at 8 am so ticket pick up was earlier, meaning a lot of people weren't up yet. Get in line early as que will start before ticket distribution time. We used Havanajourneys tour company. $100 for 2 or 3 people. Picked us up right across the street from ship..

Yes, give it at least that long. We docked at 8 am so ticket pick up was earlier, meaning a lot of people weren't up yet. Get in line early as que will start before ticket distribution time. We used Havanajourneys tour company. $100 for 2 or 3 people. Picked us up right across the street from ship..
We also dock at 8 about what time did you get in the que to get a ticket & about what time did you get off & through money exchange, customs etc?

We also dock at 8 about what time did you get in the que to get a ticket & about what time did you get off & through money exchange, customs etc?

I got in line about 20 minutes before ticket pick up time - already quite a few people in line. We were in group 3. They pretty much called 1 - 3 at the same time, listen closely for announcement. It was about 15 - 20 minutes to get off ship through customs. Money change is right after customs & that was very quick - didn't have to wait in line, walked right up to window. Canadian $ are better exchange rate although now some tour companies take American $. If they do that is to your benefit - no exchange rate. IE my tour was 100 CUC or 100 American.

I got in line about 20 minutes before ticket pick up time - already quite a few people in line. We were in group 3. They pretty much called 1 - 3 at the same time, listen closely for announcement. It was about 15 - 20 minutes to get off ship through customs. Money change is right after customs & that was very quick - didn't have to wait in line, walked right up to window. Canadian $ are better exchange rate although now some tour companies take American $. If they do that is to your benefit - no exchange rate. IE my tour was 100 CUC or 100 American.
Do you remember what time you then got to your tour? I'm trying to pinpoint the earliest time I can make my tour pickup time. Thanks

Do you remember what time you then got to your tour? I'm trying to pinpoint the earliest time I can make my tour pickup time. Thanks

Just looked up tour - we actually arrived in Havana at 9am, not 8 so my times are off an hour. The tour company scheduled tour for 10am, made it easily.