Platinum Plus Members Beware!

tomhalv

We recently completed the Breakaway 9-day Baltic cruise on the 4th of July. It was great! But definitely tiring with all of the excursions involved. I'm not a great fan of the giant ships, but it worked OK.

We did have a problem with our onboard account though. I hadn't realized that the 15% discount that Platinum Plus members receive for shore excursions isn't automatically applied. NCL's software doesn't account for that and you have to MANUALLY go down to the Shore Ex desk and request the discount (worth hundreds on this cruise). I wonder how many people fail to do this? NCL makes more money this way. If they know we are PPlus, they should be able to get the discount applied.

Just thought you might want to know...

When did you book the cruise, and did you prebook the shore excursions prior to the cruise?

My understanding is that cruises which were booked prior to the changes to the program (Feb 2017) are not getting the discount applied if you book online. Cruises booked after that date do get the discount automatically,

That ties in with my experience. We rarely use NCL excursions, but did one on our last cruise, which was booked in 2016. We paid the full cost, and then went to the desk and asked for the discount, which was applied to our account.

Our next cruise was booked after that date, and if I look at an excursion, the discount is being applied for my wife and myself (not our son, who obviously has no status).

This is all A’s has been reported here a few times.

If you booked onboard then I’d have thought the discount should be applied automatically. If you did it that way then I would certainly enquirer when booking to ensure that was the case.

We have always checked our account each day, but we have also always had the discount removed automatically. It is good though op, that you reminded us to check, just to be on the safe side. And if you book on line prior to sailing it is a different story. That is always why we book after boarding the ship

I booked this cruise in May of 2017, after the date mentioned above. All excursions were booked over the phone with NCL, not on their website which wasn't working properly when I tried. I did get one excursion (the St. Petersburg package priced at $603 pp versus the $629 onboard) discounted early, but none of these received th 15% discount.

I booked this cruise in May of 2017, after the date mentioned above. All excursions were booked over the phone with NCL, not on their website which wasn't working properly when I tried. I did get one excursion (the St. Petersburg package priced at $603 pp versus the $629 onboard) discounted early, but none of these received th 15% discount.

Booking before you travel is cheaper so you will not get a discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that there was a specific issue, probably tied in with the website not working properly.

I have just checked my upcoming cruises and the discount is being applied online for these.

Yes you do. The 15% discount is being applied for my upcoming cruises.

Not if you have already booked online sailed in Feb on breakaway and booked a trip each day and was told by Miami that price online or over the phone if cheaper then booking on the ship

So even with discount the cost will be higher

Not if you have already booked online sailed in Feb on breakaway and booked a trip each day and was told by Miami that price online or over the phone if cheaper then booking on the ship

So even with discount the cost will be higher

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I must be misunderstanding you, as I think you re saying that the latitudes discount doesn’t apply to the online rate. It clearly is actually being applied to that rate.

The price of the trips online include the lat discount you do not get extra off when on the ship

Right, I see what you are saying now. Yes, that is correct. You obviously don’t get the discount onboard if you got it when booking.

However, the point the OP is making is that they didn’t get the discount when purchasing the excursions. In this case it was refunded onboard. The point is that sometimes the discount doesn’t get applied when booking, so people should check.