UhOh! bad reaction to the seasickness patch!

I always keep my last patch on usually a 1.5 to 2 days after the cruise to help get my sea legs back and let the medicine slowly leave my system.... this tip I learned the hard way the first time using and ripping that sucker off the minute I got on land. It lead to dizziness.

Best Wishes

I agree with this, I have used a patch the last 4 cruises I've been on and the only time I had a problem was when I removed it the day after I put it on when we got back home. I was nauseous for a few days after.

Depending on the length of the cruise, I also put one on a day or two before the cruise to get acclimated to my worse side effect, dry mouth.

Mark.

I used to be the same as far as getting motion sick from the TV. I toured a ship in port, on the dock, on a beautiful day and got sea sick. I went on my first cruise and was so sick the entire time (even with Dramamine, wrist bands and ginger) that I vowed never to go again. I ended up being talked into another but started taking Bonine the day before sailing; took one each morning and evening; and it worked like a charm. I loved my second voyage so much that I became an addict.

Finally, after (about) my tenth cruise I think my body just developed some kind of muscle memory and I got my "sea legs". I stopped having to take any kind of motion sickness aid unless the seas are really rough. I should add that I primarily have sailed Pacific cruises where the seas are a lot choppier than the Atlantic and maybe that helped speeding the "sea leg" conversion.

Now twenty cruises later and I even forgot to take along any Bonine (which was always my go to for sea sickness) on my last cruise. Didn't even realize that I forgot it until I arrived home and it was on the bathroom counter where I had placed it (so I wouldn't forget it haha).

How would they not work at all??????

MDs do not know everything.

Some versions will leak out an over dose if cut in half. Others don't.

Well thanks for saving me a bunch of money seeing Dr's, I can just come to CC and get all my medical advice here....Try Thinking, before you Post!!!:rolleyes:

Mike

Some responses...

First, we were on a 7 day Alaska trip this time around on the Radiance of the Seas. This was our first "small" ship since we've done Voyager/Freedom class ships in the past.

Symptoms were not immediate - like 2 days later, but then, I don't think my wife took her patch off immediately after our docking. Is this the immediate cause? Could be a post hoc thing. My sil was with us - first time cruiser - and she had a major reaction including vomiting and hallucinations. My wife's result could be suggestive or sympathetic, though she did not know of her sister's issues for a week.

We've tried ginger. Our findings were that they were best used reactively and not good prophylactically.

Not sure of the "don't cut it in half" people. Have you seen these? There isn't a reservoir of medication that slowly seeps into the skin. The patch is a pad treated with the drug that slowly dries out. As it does so, it delivers medication by osmosis through the membrane of the skin. There may very well be a reason to not cut them in half, and I will check that out, but it would have nothing to do with leaking and overdosing. The patch does not leak.

Some responses...

First, we were on a 7 day Alaska trip this time around on the Radiance of the Seas. This was our first "small" ship since we've done Voyager/Freedom class ships in the past.

Symptoms were not immediate - like 2 days later, but then, I don't think my wife took her patch off immediately after our docking. Is this the immediate cause? Could be a post hoc thing. My sil was with us - first time cruiser - and she had a major reaction including vomiting and hallucinations. My wife's result could be suggestive or sympathetic, though she did not know of her sister's issues for a week.

We've tried ginger. Our findings were that they were best used reactively and not good prophylactically.

Not sure of the "don't cut it in half" people. Have you seen these? There isn't a reservoir of medication that slowly seeps into the skin. The patch is a pad treated with the drug that slowly dries out. As it does so, it delivers medication by osmosis through the membrane of the skin. There may very well be a reason to not cut them in half, and I will check that out, but it would have nothing to do with leaking and overdosing. The patch does not leak.

Manufacturer clearly states not to cut patch. That pad soaked in medication is sealed around the edges, when you cut it in half, you remove that seal, and that edge of the pad can seep liquid even more readily than it can penetrate the membrane by osmosis.

Well, as a guess, if the medicine is liquid and contained in a membrane system, and you cut it, the medicine could leak out or rapidly evaporate through the cut section.

It would still work for a period of time.

And anyway, I have cut them in half and the work fine for several days. Not recommending that, but just pointing out MY experience.

And nothing leaked out either.

These withdrawal symptoms are usually experienced when you have more dosage than needed.

Or an very long time using them.

They were pulled from the market for a while in the 90s. There were several instances of severe hallucinations from wearing them an extended period of time (well over 10 days).

I believe that changing it on the third day is what you are supposed to do. My husband can't cruise without them. If he tries after about a week (we like longer cruises) to not put a 3rd one on, he gets sea sick.

I would recommend taking it off on port days.

Extended use can lead to side effects.

Well thanks for saving me a bunch of money seeing Dr's, I can just come to CC and get all my medical advice here....Try Thinking, before you Post!!!:rolleyes:

Mike

So you blindly believe everything you hear from an MD? So when you proctologist gives you advice about a brain tumor, they are always correct?

Remember, one of the leading causes of death in the US is medical mistakes.

My point was, why would cutting it in half make it STOP WORKING? Yes, there may be issues, but there is no reason for it to STOP working.