Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

Enjoying your review! Kind of reliving our June 13th sailing once again! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for following along, I enjoy doing it (altho finding time becomes an issue) and doing it is the same reason you mention, reliving it keeps it fresh and mind center.

Sail away - this was to be our third sailing out of New York. Out of the dozen of so home ports we have sailed out of, it is easily my favorite. Spectacular views of New York, the Statue Liberty, Ellis Island, the Palisades, and the Verrazano Narrows bridge which connects Brooklyn to Staten island and is the longest span bridge in the Americas.

We typically head up the the top deck aft to view sail away and this was not to be an exception. What was an exception was the weather. As we made our way up, we could clearly hear the rain and then the thunder. As it worked out, we got to see everything except the bridge (early dinner). Here are some pics from the sailaway

Hi!! We're sailing out of New York at the end of July. Unfortunately we don't have time to fly in early to sightsee but I'd love for my daughter to see the Statue of Liberty and get a pic. How long is sail away and where is the best spot you recommend?

Hi!! We're sailing out of New York at the end of July. Unfortunately we don't have time to fly in early to sightsee but I'd love for my daughter to see the Statue of Liberty and get a pick. How long is sail away and where is the best spot you recommend?

Maybe 20 to 30 minutes from when they back out of the slip, it will be on the starboard side, any open deck will give a great view of lady liberty

Hey Jimbo! Was Ken still the maitre'd?

Sadly no, he left after the first 4 day to Bermuda. He had been on for eight months (Pride and Horizon) and on much needed r&r. Pretty sure I am not betraying a confidence, but he went over to Moscow for the World Cup. I believe that he will be going back tot he Pride sometime in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly no, he left after the first 4 day to Bermuda. He had been on for eight months (Pride and Horizon) and on much needed r&r. Pretty sure I am not betraying a confidence, but he went over to Moscow for the World Cup. I believe that he will be going back tot he Pride sometime in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good for him! He told me that he would be back on Pride before our cruise to Bermuda in October. :cool:

Good for him! He told me that he would be back on Pride before our cruise to Bermuda in October. [emoji41]

We spent a few minutes with him the night of the naming ceremony near the end of April in New York. He seemed beat and ready for some rest. I am sure he will be back in his normal chipper mood for your Journey cruise.

Congratulations on your retirement! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, no more counting vacation days! We always disliked going back to reality after a cruise.

We sailed Vista in March of this year and we would love to sail in a Havana cabin some day. Next up for us is our 1st 2 week cruise on Breeze in November. Retirement allows for some bucket list items to be checked off the list.

Enjoying your review looking forward to MORE!

Susan

I’ve just about stopped reading books as I so enjoy great reviews like yours and Jamman’s and others.

Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Wow, those are kind words, and I appreciate being put in the same class as Jeff. I hope to spend a good a chunk of time continuing on the review today.

Congratulations on your retirement! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, no more counting vacation days! We always disliked going back to reality after a cruise.

We sailed Vista in March of this year and we would love to sail in a Havana cabin some day. Next up for us is our 1st 2 week cruise on Breeze in November. Retirement allows for some bucket list items to be checked off the list.

Enjoying your review looking forward to MORE!

Susan

Thanks for the kind words, it is taking some adjustment, but we have no doubt we made the right decision for us. It looks like we will be sailing together, we are doing the Breeze Journey cruise as well.

Thanks for the kind words, it is taking some adjustment, but we have no doubt we made the right decision for us. It looks like we will be sailing together, we are doing the Breeze Journey cruise as well.

Hope we get a chance to meet in person on the Breeze!

It took us a good year to adjust to retirement life. We are now in our 3rd year and loving every minute. We sold our home and we live full time in our RV. We spend winters on our property in Florida, cruising all we can and summers traveling out west workamping!

Maybe you can share with us any "secrets" in snagging a Havana cabin!

Susan

Hope we get a chance to meet in person on the Breeze!

It took us a good year to adjust to retirement life. We are now in our 3rd year and loving every minute. We sold our home and we live full time in our RV. We spend winters on our property in Florida, cruising all we can and summers traveling out west workamping!

Maybe you can share with us any "secrets" in snagging a Havana cabin!

Susan

LOL, if we can’t find a way to meet on a 14 day cruise, I guess it was not meant to be. We used to RV and had envisioned doing just as you are doing. Things changed, and we ended up buying a condo in Ft Myers that will become our “official” residence (we have a home in CT we live in now. We plan on doing just as you doin terms of Florida and cruising.

This will be our first Journey cruise and looking forward to it. In terms of getting a Havana room(s), the secret is one of two things. Get lucky or book early. For this Horizon cruise, we booked the day they opened, paid a premium for that (the rest of our group had a bunch of OBC from price decreases, not so for us as we took the Havana Suite). Where are you in Florida?

LOL, if we can’t find a way to meet on a 14 day cruise, I guess it was not meant to be. We used to RV and had envisioned doing just as you are doing. Things changed, and we ended up buying a condo in Ft Myers that will become our “official” residence (we have a home in CT we live in now. We plan on doing just as you doin terms of Florida and cruising.

This will be our first Journey cruise and looking forward to it. In terms of getting a Havana room(s), the secret is one of two things. Get lucky or book early. For this Horizon cruise, we booked the day they opened, paid a premium for that (the rest of our group had a bunch of OBC from price decreases, not so for us as we took the Havana Suite). Where are you in Florida?

Thanks for the Havana room tips.

Hope you have checked out the Breeze RC, its pretty active! We are workamping in Custer South Dakota until Sept 15th. I need to start looking at excursions for our Journey cruise.

We own a lot in Silver Springs, FL just outside of Ocala. We lived 18 years in Kissimmee before they overbuilt the quiet town, then Clermont, where they did the same thing there and then we built our dream home in Howey In The Hills before retiring.

We really loved the layout of the Vista and we spent many hours in the lobby area enjoying adult beverages, people watching and enjoying the live music.

If we can't book an aft wrap, we opt for a cove on the appropriate ships as we enjoy being close to the water as we spend a good bit of time on our balcony to get away from the crowds. That is one reason why we want to try Havana as we would really enjoy the pool/bar area.

Susan

On her in Oct. So looking forward to the rest of your report. We booked a family harbor aft extended balcony because our friends (going too) booked 2 suites in the family harbor as they will have their kids with them (ours will all be away at college). Then we wanted to add the drink package and a cabana at Grand Turk so we bumped down to a plain old inside cabin in family harbor to save some $$. I really like being higher up though and would LOVE the Havana section. It's just such an added cost. Sigh! I hope there isn't too much MDR noise above us or kid noise in the hallway. Anyway...thanks for sharing. I wish we were heading out of NY instead of Miami as, I agree, NY is a great great port to sail away from.

On her in Oct. So looking forward to the rest of your report. We booked a family harbor aft extended balcony because our friends (going too) booked 2 suites in the family harbor as they will have their kids with them (ours will all be away at college). Then we wanted to add the drink package and a cabana at Grand Turk so we bumped down to a plain old inside cabin in family harbor to save some $$. I really like being higher up though and would LOVE the Havana section. It's just such an added cost. Sigh! I hope there isn't too much MDR noise above us or kid noise in the hallway. Anyway...thanks for sharing. I wish we were heading out of NY instead of Miami as, I agree, NY is a great great port to sail away from.

Thanks for following along. I was very much impressed by the whole family harbor area. It is a flat out home run by Carnival. We always take a chana at Grand Turk for the kids.

So I was a little late going to the Meet and greet. As I previously mentioned, this was the first time we had received a card in our room talking about the get together. The time was 9:30 in the Limelight lounge. Good thing for me it is only down one flight of stairs.

When I walked into the room, I was very surprised. There were 5 (I believe) Carnival employees and roughly 30 to 35 cruisers. It wasted about half and hour, there was coffee and juice and pastries I believe as well. Chris and I think the entertainment director (Kathy or somebody correct me if I am wrong). Chris a really nice guy and the more I got to know him on this cruise, the more I liked him. We had met Mike Pack (who Chris was filling in for) on our second Vista cruise and liked him as well. The conversation was light and easy and soon enough they needed to move on.