Cruise with my grandchild

I want to book a Royal Caribbean cruise with my grandchild and I was wondering, my ex and I both have custody of the child, do I still need his written permission to cruise with the child or can I just show the custody papers that has both of our names listed as having custody?

You might want to refer to an attorney about the specifics of your custody agreement, but typically with joint custody either guardian can oppose the travel. I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice, but my personal suggestion would be to definitely get a letter of consent. I think it's required since you share joint custody, but even if it's not legally necessary, better safe than sorry if the agent at the airport or at the cruise line questions it.

I would definitely get a notarized letter giving you permission to take the child as well as make any medical decisions.

I would also bring the custody papers as well, just as a back up.

Some say a letter is not necessary but I can tell you I was asked for the letter for our granddaughters three different times. By Royal Caribbean, Disney and customs.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

I want to book a Royal Caribbean cruise with my grandchild and I was wondering, my ex and I both have custody of the child, do I still need his written permission to cruise with the child or can I just show the custody papers that has both of our names listed as having custody?

My recent experience off the oasis with 3 grandchildren.

One grandchild's father was present...shared custody.

One grandson's mother was present.... Shared custody

One granddaughter no parent present

I had a notorized letter for each grandchild. The only letter was asked for was from the one traveling with no parent. However at disembarking, I was asked to show the permission letter from the parent not traveling for each child, even though two parents parents were identified. You never know. Not sure what would have happened if I did not have them... We were bringing them back into the United States, so no abduction.

But don't bring anything up when checking in anywhere unless they ask. Less is more and don't create an issue.

If you have the appropriate paperwork then there will be no issue. Not very smart to not have it and hope to slide under the radar. Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don’t, but if they do, you darn well better have it.