??? Standard Cancellation Plan

Lyndihop

Thanks for the response. A follow-up question - had you booked your cruise through a TA or directly with HAL? Just wondering if one HAD to go through the TA to cancel (we used the big box TA for our upcoming cruise). Calling HAL would be much easier than going through the TA.

Actually, I did book that with “BigBoxCo”. It was a call to their travel department, a quick confirmation with the agent as to my expectations (I would get 90%back), and then she made it into a conference call with HAL and I spoke directly with HAL. We were done with the whole thing in less than 10 minutes.

This was 4 days before departure for a 3 night HAL precruise tour and then Embarkation immediately following. The precruise and flights were all through HAL via the Big Box. I got good customer service through HAL and incredible service from the Big Box.

Actually, I did book that with “BigBoxCo”. It was a call to their travel department, a quick confirmation with the agent as to my expectations (I would get 90%back), and then she made it into a conference call with HAL and I spoke directly with HAL. We were done with the whole thing in less than 10 minutes.

This was 4 days before departure for a 3 night HAL precruise tour and then Embarkation immediately following. The precruise and flights were all through HAL via the Big Box. I got good customer service through HAL and incredible service from the Big Box.

Thanks very much! I'll write out the TA contact info for DM so she has it in case it is needed. Hopefully, it won't be needed!!

Related to this topic: If one has a HAL cancellation plan, and one has to cancel, how does one actually cancel? Do you call your TA/PCC, the insurance company or can one just not show up? I'm asking because I've done all the travel arrangements. If I were to have an accident in the embarkation port prior to the cruise, I want to tell my DM, in case I'm incapcitated, what she needs to do to cancel and get a portion of our fare back. Just considering different scenarios... Fortunately, we've never had to cancel at a late date (yet).

When I fell and broke my hip one week prior to sailing. I called HAL and they took the message, but it had to go through my PCC. We had air and hotel through HAL so all of that was covered as well. My money was refunded before I got home from the hospital.

When my sister had a medical expense on board, she paid it through her on board account and we were sent the paperwork to submit for insurance. It took a bit of time, but following the directions and mailing in the forms were all that was necessary. There was no question to payment on the claim.

• 2 months later...
And close to departure is converted to a travel insurance plan to cover exposures on the road.

I don’t think so unless the policy has changed. You would need to purchase the Platinum to get actual insurance during your cruise. The Standard has just been a cancel for any reason policy up until the cruise departs - it isn’t insurance.

Actually, it covers flights and hotels if booked through HAL. Unless there has been a change, the cancellation has to be prior to 24 hours before your tour starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Note that HAL’s protection plans do not protect additional passengers in the same cabin from the single passenger supplement if their travel companion cancels.

There was a long thread from a TA years ago who had booked multiple older single passengers and put strangers together. One women canceled and her traveling companion got charged a single supplement after she got home.

The agent never came back to say what happened, just that he would never use HAL again. The only argument I gave him was that I thought HAL had the responsibility to collect the additional fee at the port, not ask for money after the cruise ended.

This of course is so people don’t book phantom people into a cabin intending to cancel and not pay a single supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums