Best Balcony Cabin on HAL Pinnacle Class?

jns4550

I’m about to book a cruise on the Nieuw Staatendam as a birthday surprise for my husband. What is my best option for a reasonably priced balcony cabin on a pinnacle class ship? We’ve done several RCCL cruises, but this will be our first on HAL so I’m hoping for some expert advice from past HAL cruisers.

Yeah, that is a personal preference question. Kind of depends on what you plan to do, how much time you will be on your balcony or out and about on the ship. Also, motion sickness. Low and mid is better if that is a possibility. We like being lower down and mid to aft port side if we can get it but we also spend more time on the lower decks with the MDR, the promenade, most all the lounges, music venues, and the Pinnacle there. But this new class of ship, which we have yet to try, might offer more social opportunities on higher decks or more activities you think you guys would enjoy elsewhere. Also some folks like be nearer the spa or The Retreat. Also, be aware of elevator location as sometime being too close can be a bit noisy.

Everyone's criteria for a "best" cabin differs. Where do you like to be on a ship? We like deck 7 VE's, aft.

We’ve always done midship balconies on RCCL and have been considering an aft cabin, assuming there are no issues with exhaust fumes. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, that is a personal preference question. Kind of depends on what you plan to do, how much time you will be on your balcony or out and about on the ship. Also, motion sickness. Low and mid is better if that is a possibility. We like being lower down and mid to aft port side if we can get it but we also spend more time on the lower decks with the MDR, the promenade, most all the lounges, music venues, and the Pinnacle there. But this new class of ship, which we have yet to try, might offer more social opportunities on higher decks or more activities you think you guys would enjoy elsewhere. Also some folks like be nearer the spa or The Retreat. Also, be aware of elevator location as sometime being too close can be a bit noisy.

Quiet is key for us. Never had issues with motion sickness. I read that there was a difference in balcony sizes on some HAL ships and wondered if the smaller balconies (ie. The less expensive ones) were uncomfortably small.

We enjoyed an aft VS balcony cabin (7194) on the Koningsdam. Not a large balcony, but more than adequate. We really enjoy aft cabins, but felt that the higher price for a VS wasn't really worth it.

We have a V balcony cabin (8080) booked on the Nieuw Statendam with a huge balcony on the leading edge of the midship hump. For the Norwegian fjords, we thought that we'd prefer to have a good view forward instead of an aft view.

We enjoyed an aft VS balcony cabin (7194) on the Koningsdam. Not a large balcony, but more than adequate. We really enjoy aft cabins, but felt that the higher price for a VS wasn't really worth it.

We have a V balcony cabin (8080) booked on the Nieuw Statendam with a huge balcony on the leading edge of the midship hump. For the Norwegian fjords, we thought that we'd prefer to have a good view forward instead of an aft view.

So when looking at the deck plans, does the cost increase the closer you get to the beginning of the alphabet? So VA is more expensive than VF, for example?

The Norwegian fjords is definitely on my bucket list. My grandparent’s family on both sides is from there!

So when looking at the deck plans, does the cost increase the closer you get to the beginning of the alphabet? So VA is more expensive than VF, for example?

The Norwegian fjords is definitely on my bucket list. My grandparent’s family on both sides is from there!

Yes, VS, V, then VA, VB, etc.. The current HAL website makes it a challenge to compare prices between various categories, but a lot of online travel agencies make it quite simple.

Yes, VS, V, then VA, VB, etc.. The current HAL website makes it a challenge to compare prices between various categories, but a lot of online travel agencies make it quite simple.

Thank you, that helps!

Yes, VS, V, then VA, VB, etc..
VQ is above VS in HAL's ranking, which I disagree with in several cases. VQ balconies are smaller than standard VA/VB/VC etc, while the largest non-suite balconies are the VB on deck 4.

VQ is above VS in HAL's ranking, which I disagree with in several cases. VQ balconies are smaller than standard VA/VB/VC etc, while the largest non-suite balconies are the VB on deck 4.

You're quite right, I didn't think about VQ Spa Cabins. I always ignore them when considering a booking as the pricing has more to do with the amenities (such as organic cotton bathrobes and Burmese teak mats for bath and shower) than the cabin itself. I'll pass on those for a bigger or better located cabin, but that's just my personal preference.

BTW, the balconies of the VB cabins on deck 4 are large, but I think that those of the first V cabin at the beginning and end of the hump are slightly bigger, at least on some decks. Just my impression.

While we do visit the spa a few times each trip, I would agree that those amenities aren’t worth the increased price. I’m more concerned with enjoying the space on the balcony. Thanks for your input!

• 2 months later...

Agree with everything everyone else has posted.  We prefer Deck 7, then 6, port side VD  cabins more toward the aft close to the aft elevators.  We spend most of our time at the Sea View pool, Lido buffet and MDR, so this is good location for us.  Be careful  of rooms on deck 8, as noise from activities on Lido deck 9 can interrupt your sleep depending on what you are under. Don't care for the deck 10 and 11 cabins with the "juliette" balconies (very small) and you feel "ocean motion" being up that high and forward.  

Each letter step is about 30.00 pp in fare, starting at V to VF.  Many of the deck 4 rooms are obstructed views with lifeboats or tenders, and deck 5 look down on an orange tender roof.  

We will be on our 4th Kdam cruise Jan 4th, and have an AS Vista suite on deck 7 Aft Facing.  This will be our first Aft Facing so we'll see how we like it.  Had Vista suite 8099 on one cruise and there was a lot of "trolley" noise at night from the Lido buffet area on and off all night long.  Was very annoying.

You will love the Nieuw Statendam and all the great dining options.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jbecker6469

• 3 months later...

can anyone find and post photos of cabin 8080 balcony  on kooningsdam  worried about noise  from  Lido  , prices are so expensive on the koonigsdam  , plus i read that no table on veranda  for breakfast or dining , only small little table to hold drinks or cafe is it true  ???

Edited by honey-bunny

On 10/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, jbecker6469 said:

Agree with everything everyone else has posted.  We prefer Deck 7, then 6, port side VD  cabins more toward the aft close to the aft elevators.  We spend most of our time at the Sea View pool, Lido buffet and MDR, so this is good location for us.  Be careful  of rooms on deck 8, as noise from activities on Lido deck 9 can interrupt your sleep depending on what you are under. Don't care for the deck 10 and 11 cabins with the "juliette" balconies (very small) and you feel "ocean motion" being up that high and forward.  

Each letter step is about 30.00 pp in fare, starting at V to VF.  Many of the deck 4 rooms are obstructed views with lifeboats or tenders, and deck 5 look down on an orange tender roof.  

We will be on our 4th Kdam cruise Jan 4th, and have an AS Vista suite on deck 7 Aft Facing.  This will be our first Aft Facing so we'll see how we like it.  Had Vista suite 8099 on one cruise and there was a lot of "trolley" noise at night from the Lido buffet area on and off all night long.  Was very annoying.

You will love the Nieuw Statendam and all the great dining options.  Enjoy your cruise.

how was your cruise on Kdam  ??? how did you liked your cabin  ?

14 minutes ago, honey-bunny said:

can anyone find and post photos of cabin 8080 balcony  on kooningsdam  worried about noise  from  Lido  , prices are so expensive on the koonigsdam  , plus i read that no table on veranda  for breakfast or dining , only small little table to hold drinks or cafe is it true  ???

Small table on balcony was the case for my aft stateroom, 7195, on the Konigsdam.  No noise or soot.

Here is a link to stateroom photos:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board/ms-konigsdam-staterooms

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Small table on balcony was the case for my aft stateroom, 7195, on the Konigsdam.  No noise or soot.

Here is a link to stateroom photos:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board/ms-konigsdam-staterooms

thanks   did you stayed at Vista categorie ? so far we booked regular veranda V  8080 on Kdam  was wondering if vista have truly more space ? 

7 minutes ago, honey-bunny said:

thanks   did you stayed at Vista categorie ? so far we booked regular veranda V  8080 on Kdam  was wondering if vista have truly more space ? 

The space according to the HAL website is about 10% larger in a Vista Suite in the aft of the ship but the view from the Vista Suite balcony covers both side of the ship.  In addition, you can sit on your aft balcony while the ship is moving and not have 24 knot winds blowing on you.  I cruise only in aft staterooms for many more reasons.

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The space according to the HAL website is about 10% larger in a Vista Suite in the aft of the ship but the view from the Vista Suite balcony covers both side of the ship.  In addition, you can sit on your aft balcony while the ship is moving and not have 24 knot winds blowing on you.  I cruise only in aft staterooms for many more reasons.

we agree! we love love love aft cabins and usual  book aft cabins on other hal ships on kooningsdam rates just so  pricey  , and the cost between V veranda  and vista  suite   for 21 days are  2 Grand more per person..... omg  maybe it will drop once more people will book new ship Niuew Stadendam   , also considering aft veranda it is about  200 $ more person  instead of V category ON Kdam  it is will  same same  as V or  but it think  they call it VA