What's the going rate on Alaska car rentals? Best time to book?

susiesan

I will be needing a rental car for a week in June 2019 for a DIY Alaska tour before a one week cruise on Coral Princess June 19, 2019. I will arrive at ANC at 1:00pm and can pick up and/or drop off at either the airport or downtown. I will need a mid size car for 2 people. I have a AAA membership and a Costco membership for discounts.

Which company has been having the best rates, what was the average this summer, and how far in advance did you book?

Some of the major companies will start running good prices starting around now and thru mid Sept. Last summer the cheapest rate was about $250 wk for an economy size. You need to check each company and also each location. ie last week I looked at AVIS and downtown was $700 for the week but the airport was $350. Usually the airport is higher, so you really need to check.

Prices can change frequently and dramatically. The usual advice is to book the best price you can find, then be diligent about checking all the sites for more price drops. Just ensure there's no cancel fee.

Good luck !

p.s. even if you reserved today, you could keep checking until the day before you leave !

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Does anyone ever have decent rates to pick up at the airport upon arrival and drop off downtown to be close to a hotel? That would be ideal for us as we will take the bus to Whittier the day of the cruise after returning to Anchorage the day before so as to have some time to sightsee there.

Does anyone ever have decent rates to pick up at the airport upon arrival and drop off downtown to be close to a hotel? That would be ideal for us as we will take the bus to Whittier the day of the cruise after returning to Anchorage the day before so as to have some time to sightsee there.

You need to do the legwork and look at vendors with your date and compare. There isn't any single vendor who "has decent rates". Supply and demand.

I agree with all comments so far. I had several booked and just kept checking and canceling and rebooking. I noted some locations were not supported by Costco. The Anchorage downtown location ended up being good and it was a $11 Lyft ride there and back to pick up and drop off.

You need to do the legwork and look at vendors with your date and compare. There isn't any single vendor who "has decent rates". Supply and demand.

I took your advice and made a reservation using my AAA discount with Hertz, pick up and drop off at the airport, mid size car, 8 days for $474 incl taxes, $59 a day. The downtown location for the same days is $600 total incl tax., $75 a day. This is a cancelable reservation so if I see rates drop with someone else I will rebook.

I booked a rental car from Avis downtown a year in advance for $180 for 4 days. Upon further searching I was able to get a car from Enterprise downtown Anchorage for $130 for 4 day.

I booked a rental car from Avis downtown a year in advance for $180 for 4 days. Upon further searching I was able to get a car from Enterprise downtown Anchorage for $130 for 4 day.

As of today for next June 11, 2019 the rate at Avis in downtown Anchorage is $493 total for 8 days, $61 a day. From their web site with no discounts applied.

Enterprise is even more expensive, both downtown and airport locations.

As of today for next June 11, 2019 the rate at Avis in downtown Anchorage is $493 total for 8 days, $61 a day. From their web site with no discounts applied.

Enterprise is even more expensive, both downtown and airport locations.

That's why you need to check frequently and for each office location.