No drop-off fee for rental Houston-Galveston

MSN-Travelers

I've read here and in other cruise line threads about people that were able to rent from Enterprise in Houston and leave the car in Galveston without paying a drop-off fee. I have called the national 800 number and the Houston - Bush airport office direct. Both insist that a drop-off fee (now $40) is required.

Can anybody tell me which Enterprise office/branch they used to get a car in Houston without a drop-off fee being charged for a one-way to Galveston? For that matter, any rental agency that doesn't charge a drop-off fee would be fine.

I recall that it was the Galveston office that makes the booking for a Houston to Galveston rental without a drop-off fee. Perhaps because you are picking up one of "their" vehicles and returning it to the local office??--just speculation on my part. But I think that is how folks have been doing it.

Hi, we used Hertz in 03 and picked up Houston, dropped off Galveston for no fee. Hertz even have more convenient locations now (from when we cruised in 03) as follows:

Locations:

6115 Avenue L HLE

6115 Avenue L , Suite 100

Hours Of Operation: Mo-Fr 0800-1800, Sa 0900-1300, Su Closed

Galveston Cruise Terminal

2502 Harborside Drive

Hours Of Operation: Mo-Th-Fr 0800-1600, Tu-We Closed, Sa-Su 0900-1300.

We did this twice last February within 4 weeks. The first time we called the Houston Enterprise office and reserved our car, and there was no drop off charge to Galveston. Galveston Enterprise DID charge a drop off going the other direction, so we took a shuttle (there were just 2 of us). Less than 4 weeks later, we were charged a drop off fee from Houston to Galveston. Additionally, the price of the car itself had gone up. We were told it is based on supply and demand. When it works, the total cost was around $25 with gas, so it was a great deal, but it seemed a little flakey to us.

Archived