Live From Vodohod: Impressions of a Russia River Cruise

Host Jazzbeau

We did this cruise through Gate1 several years ago. This review is accurate from my own experience. The Russian staff was primarily young college age adults who made this cruise very fun and enjoyable. While the towns between Moscow and SPB were fascinating, the highlights were definitely Moscow and SPB. We were glad we opted to add independent days on both ends- especially since we had to obtain Russian visas prior to the cruise. We found it easy to get around in both cities and hotel facilities were very nice. I’d highly recommend this cruise to anyone interested in Russia and Russian history. It is a budget friendly option but a great opportunity to see this interesting country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My AMA cruise was on a Vodohod ship. There were only 2 AMA employees - the rest was Vodohod. I refer to this has my Vodohod cruise and not AMA cruise. We had a different setup - we had open seating and only breakfast was buffet. We did not have to order our meals ahead of time, though I have to say the food was horrible IMO.

Just to be clear - I had done a land trip in Russia previously and majored in Russian history so I was familiar with Russian food and was not expecting French food by any means.

The highlights definitely are Moscow and St. Petersburg. After doing the river cruise, I really wish I had just done another land trip but that year, Moscow was the most expensive city in the world and hotels were out of this world price wise. St. Petersburg was just as bad. Thankfully the prices for these hotels have come down quite a bit since my trip.

I was not impressed with Vodohod.