Confused about parking at Southampton

Hi all,

We're booked on a short cruise with RCI in October, round trip from Southampton.

It's the first time we've used RCI, and have always used P&O or Cunard. We've always paid for the C&PS parking, where you turn up by the terminal, get your boot unloaded, someone then takes your car and hey presto.

I'm confused what happens with RCI....

On the RCI website it mentions a company called Cruise Parking, which suggests dropping off your car (like C&PS), but then talks about shuttle buses, which makes it sound like it's not next to the terminal.

But if you do a Google search for Southampton Cruise Parking, a company called ABP parking which badges itself "official cruise parking in the port of Southampton". This looks like a self park (retain keys etc), but says 1 minute from terminal (City Cruise Terminal)?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Is the City Cruise Terminal where the RCI boats park?

And I assume for RCI, no-one offers the drop off type of service offered by C&PS for P&O/Cunard?

Any experiences of ABP vs Cruise Parking?

Many thanks,

Find your cruise there:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

If it's berth 101 then it's the City Terminal

ABP Parking is on the doorstep of the terminal. Google round and you might find a 10% discount code for your sailing. I've no idea how the cost compares between ABP & Cruise Parking. If it's significant and you don't mind parking further away then go for cruise parking. If there's not much in it then ABP is much more convenient.

Hi,

Yes berth 101.

So If I read it correctly,

If I use ABP:

- I'm right next to the ship (ish).

- Park up yourself and take suitcases to drop off point (assume trolleys around etc) - any idea how close the drop off points are?

If I use Cruise Parking

- Further away from ship but more like C&PS where you drop off your car, bags unloaded etc.

- But have to wait for shuttle bus to get to ship (assume you're only carrying hand luggage at this point?

ABP is really good, their luggage truck pulls up right by where you park and takes luggage for you straight from your boot. Then it's just a short walk over to the terminal. Very easy, I prefer their system to that of C & P when we have cruised P&O.

Julie

If you use ABP Parking you access the terminal via Dock Gate 8 or 10. The security guards will direct you were to park. Once you have parked a ABP Parking luggage truck pulls up and takes your luggage. Then it's just a short walk to the terminal with your carry on luggage.

We always use ABP Parking and never had a problem.

I have used a local man who garages my car and transfers me to the ship and back.

Works very well and is cheaper that ABPs

If you are unlucky, you may find the ABP car park is several hundred yards from the ship depending on which car park they are using. Its OK for sailing, but not much fun getting the luggage to the car on disembarkation.

AB parking.

Park your car.

Men in vans are waiting in car park ready to take your luggage to terminal for you

You walk to terminal and check in with whatever handluggage you have decided to keep with you.

Luggage will start to arrive outside your cabins in the afternoon.

Could not be easier.

Code SAIL2018 will get you 10% discount on ABP website when booking.

Given the horror stories of cars getting used and damaged when you’re on holiday, I certainly would not be happy handing my car keys over. With AB you keep your keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was only trying to offer an alternative. My contact was away on my last cruise and I used ABP

ABP is fine if you are parked in the immediate vicinity of the terminal. Last time I was parked at the extremity of the car park furthest from the terminal and it was no fun dragging heavy cases, in the rain, for several hundred yards.

My usual practice is to drive straight to a, private, locked garage 5 mins from the port (I would have to drive past it to get to the terminal) I'm driven to the drop off point where the porters take the luggage.

On my return, I ring the garage owner and get picked up outside the terminal.

No walking, no dragging of luggage.

What can be more convenient than that?