Wine "Pairing"? Really?

Flatbush Flyer

We're among those folks who have enjoyed dining at LaReserve. However, I always chuckle at the premise of "wine pairing" since I know few folks who would ever let a choice of wine depend on what food is being served.

I mention this because there's an article in today's SF Chronicle by wine maven, Esther Mobley, regarding a relatively new restaurant in SF named Parigo ("pairing" in Esperanto).

When asked "does it really matter," Parigo's Wine Director, Sarah Trubnick, remarks: "We're basically in the entertainment industry......they're coming in for our show.... But, yeah, at home people should definitely just drink whatever they want."

BTW, for anyone new to wine tasting, permit me to offer a suggestion: if you're allotted a single piece of glassware, don't use water to rinse it out between different pours. Instead, ask for a splash of the next wine to swirl and discard before receiving a sample of that next wine. Monumental difference!

We're among those folks who have enjoyed dining at LaReserve. However, I always chuckle at the premise of "wine pairing" since I know few folks who would ever let a choice of wine depend on what food is being served.

I mention this because there's an article in today's SF Chronicle by wine maven, Esther Mobley, regarding a relatively new restaurant in SF named Parigo ("pairing" in Esperanto).

When asked "does it really matter," Parigo's Wine Director, Sarah Trubnick, remarks: "We're basically in the entertainment industry......they're coming in for our show.... But, yeah, at home people should definitely just drink whatever they want."

BTW, for anyone new to wine tasting, permit me to offer a suggestion: if you're allotted a single piece of glassware, don't use water to rinse it out between different pours. Instead, ask for a splash of the next wine to swirl and discard before receiving a sample of that next wine. Monumental difference!

Wait -- someone still speaks Esperanto?

;p:cool:

I’m one that definitely believes in pairing wines with different foods. Our wine choice at dinner is always determined by what we eat. Certain foods and wines compliments and enhances each other, while others clash.

Don’t really care what others drink or when. One can have their fruit bomb jammy Zin with the Dover Sole if they so choose.But claiming the proper pairing of food and wine is a hoax and don’t enhance both is just plain wrong!

I’m one that definitely believes in pairing wines with different foods. Our wine choice at dinner is always determined by what we eat. Certain foods and wines compliments and enhances each other, while others clash.

Don’t really care what others drink or when. One can have their fruit bomb jammy Zin with the Dover Sole if they so choose.But claiming the proper pairing of food and wine is a hoax and don’t enhance both is just plain wrong!

Agree 100% and I hold a WSET 3 certificate. I don't think you need to get crazy on pairing but some things will just taste horrible if paired incorrectly.

I can't imagine being expected to use the same glass if LaReserve is truly serious about wine pairing. Different shapes & sizes of glasses are important to set-off different wines. Single glass sounds sacriligeous to me:confused:

I can't imagine being expected to use the same glass if LaReserve is truly serious about wine pairing. Different shapes & sizes of glasses are important to set-off different wines. Single glass sounds sacriligeous to me:confused:

My comment about a "wash out" was regarding wine tasting in general. LaReserve does have different glassware.

As for the original topic: of course, some wines are not a good choice with particular foods (e.g., ice wine with anything [emoji12]). But, I'd be hard pressed to pick an edible that would be problematic with a good North Coast Pinot Noir or Pinot Blanc nor do I know anyone who'd turn them down with any dinner. And I'd be perfectly happy if either was served in a Schott Zwiesel Burgundy glass.

In any case, to each his own.

My comment about a "wash out" was regarding wine tasting in general. LaReserve does have different glassware.

As for the original topic: of course, some wines are not a good choice with particular foods (e.g., ice wine with anything [emoji12]). But, I'd be hard pressed to pick an edible that would be problematic with a good North Coast Pinot Noir or Pinot Blanc nor do I know anyone who'd turn them down with any dinner. And I'd be perfectly happy if either was served in a Schott Zwiesel Burgundy glass.

Pinot Blanc would be fine but the Pinot noir would lose all of its fruit with anything with a little spice. If you had something like Meiomi which is a fruit bomb it would fare better. Seafood with lemon would also be pretty bad with the PN. A white fruity wine like the PB is pretty safe with anything.

Whew!! You had me worried there, even for someone from the Point (I grew up on Arlington)

Deep End Pinot Noir with Aragosta Fra Diavola? Yes- seafood and spice. Yum.

A little red pepper flakes isn’t what I’m meaning when I say heat. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Pinot and Seafood. PN and Salmon is a marriage made in heaven. Now try that PN with a curry or some spicy Thai food. A waste of good PN