Newbie to Carnival questions

beachys

We are taking our first cruise on Carnival soon. We've only cruised Celebrity and Norwegian.

Our arrival appointment is 11:30am. On Norwegian this means absolutely nothing. Does this mean anything on Carnival? We do not have faster to fun and it's sold out so what will the lines be like?

Does Carnival have servers going around with drinks premade, such as the drink of the day? They had this on Celebrity. We don't have the drink package this time, but we usually find a quiet bar and make friends with the server and tip them well. Any thoughts on your favorite bartender?

Is there an upgrade fairy? Or upsell phone line?

We are traveling Vista.

Best place to take in sail away?

Good place for lunch embarkation day?

Thoughts on the seafood restaurant?

This is a 4 day cruise, will there be a formal day?

Any other tips you can give would be greatly appreciated! I've searched and read this forum.

Thanks!

You should arrive at or after your scheduled check-in time. Note: this is not when you will board the ship.

There are premade drinks offered at embarkation up near the pool area. Sometimes it is easy to find one; other times, you need to go to the bar yourself.

You can arrive before 11:30 but Carnival is pretty strict on the arrival times. At 11:30 lines shouldn’t be too bad. We’ve never had FTTF and I just reached platinum so all of my experience has been with good ole fashioned boarding. We’re usually on the ship by 12.

Carnival does have servers that’ll carry drinks around on Lido and Serenity (adults only deck)

There is an upgrade fairy however in 11 Carnival cruises we’ve never gotten a call.

I haven’t been on Vista but have been on the Horizon. Love the class of ship. We tend to take in sail away from our balcony so I can’t suggest other spots.

Go to Guy’s Pig and Anchor for embarkation day lunch. It is only open on this day and sea days and passengers will realize the spot a couple of days in. The first day is never too crazy. It’s free at lunch. Dinner isn’t free there but the food is yummy (different than lunch)

We’ve never done a four day cruise so I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think there is a formal night on sailings less than five days.

Originally I typed that there wasn’t a sea food restaurant but then remembered Sea Food Shack. We ate at it for lunch on the Horizon. We got the sampler and a lobster roll. Food was good but the sampler was all fried and very greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ToriB

We are taking our first cruise on Carnival soon. We've only cruised Celebrity and Norwegian.

Our arrival appointment is 11:30am. On Norwegian this means absolutely nothing. Does this mean anything on Carnival? We do not have faster to fun and it's sold out so what will the lines be like?

You won't be allowed to get into the terminal before 11:30, so plan your arrival time accordingly. No reason to wait outside in the heat any longer than necessary.

We are traveling Vista.

Best place to take in sail away?

There are "secret" decks in the front of the ship that are less crowded than the Lido Deck and the deck above. On the deck above the bridge, you can stand over the bridge wings for an outstanding view forward and also along the ship's side. This relatively unknown feature might be unique to Carnival.

Good place for lunch embarkation day?

Jiji's Asian Kitchen, for made-to-order Oriental stir-fry, or Cucina del Capitano, for made-to-order pasta bowls. Both are free for lunch, both were great, and both were almost empty. Go up the stairs from the Lido buffet madness on embark day and enjoy watching everyone else trying to find an open table.

Guy's Pig and Anchor (Deck 5) is also open on embark day and the line wasn't too long, if you'd prefer BBQ.

This is a 4 day cruise, will there be a formal day?

Yes, usually the second night.

Any other tips you can give would be greatly appreciated! I've searched and read this forum.

Thanks!

• If you're still interested in FTTF, keep looking; slots can open up due to cancellations.
  • Remember that each person can bring a 12-pack of canned (not bottled) drinks aboard in your carry-on (not checked) luggage; you can also bring a 750 ml bottle of wine in your carry-on. This is per official Carnival policy.
  • Carnival offers its "Behind the Fun" tour for a look behind the scenes and I've really enjoyed it. If you have any interest in the workings of, basically, a floating city, I highly recommend it. It's booked first-come first-serve at Shore Excursions upon embark and is not offered for booking before sailing. $95 per person and the Engineering Control Room on the Vista is almost worth the price alone. :)