Stingray excursion Nassau or Cococay?

kratescape

Has anyone done either of these? We are thinking about doing this with our teens. DH and I swam with stingrays in Grand Caymen with private tour and loved it. We aren't sure how busy/popular this attraction is in these locations. 4 ships in port in Nassau but excursion is through TA. Only 1 ship in Cococay.

TIA

In Nassau you can do the stingray encounter with Blue Lagoon, which I'm almost certain gives you the nice beach day on their island after. That's what I would do. A fun ferry ride over to the island, sting rays, and a beach day.

We just did the stingray excursion at Norwegian Cruise Line's Great Stirrup Cay, which is right next to Coco Cay (both cruise lines go to the same place). It was really awesome.

I posted my review and some pictures here. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down.

http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2018/07/sun-and-fun-on-norwegian-sun.html

It's a lot different than what I remember about our trip to Grand Cayman. The stingrays are only visited by the ships from Great Stirrup Cay and Coco Cay so it's much smaller and more intimate than Stingray City in Grand Cayman. There were only 16 people on our tour and we got a lot of personal attention. The guides were great and answered everyone's questions and were patient in letting everyone hold and feed the stingrays.

I do want to mention that depending on the tide, the water could be a little deep. When we first got off the boat into the enclosure, we actually had to swim a couple of feet before we could stand up. In the rest of the enclosure, the water was waist to chest high. They did have snorkel vests (and masks) for anyone who wanted them.

I think I'd recommend the stingray tour at Coco Cay over Nassau because you're already there on the island and don't have to spend a lot of time traveling to the stingrays.

Blue Lagoon is also very cool but I'd do the Segway or dolphin encounter there over stingrays.

That's what I wanted to hear. We haven't been to Nassau and want to do sightseeing and we're concerned that the stingray excursion would really cut into sightseeing time. I like the idea that it's a more intimate setting at the private island.

Thanks! And I loved your cruise review.

Blue Lagoon is an even smaller private island, just an FYI if you aren't familiar.

If sightseeing is important to you in Nassau I strongly recommend a private tour if it's within your budget. It's not very expensive and really nice. I like Cheryl Bahamas Taxi and Tours and you could also find other operators to compare on TripAdvisor. It's well worth doing a tour as you will see a whole lot more, go to the fish fry, etc.

I had read that it was private, but just not sure how small the setting would be with 4 ships in pirt that day. Also was not sure how far away it is because that would factor in to sightseeing. We have not been to Nassau, and the trip is for my DS graduation and he wants to sight see. We will have already had a sea day and with Cococay definitely being a beach day, he wasn't sure what he wanted to do.

We've got plenty of time to think about it and your info is helpful as well. Thanks so much!

When we were there two weeks ago, there were five ships in port but Blue Lagoon was not all that crowded because they only sell a certain number of tickets. The animal encounters are done in small groups too. However, it does take up quite a bit of time to get to Blue Lagoon and back. We did the 10:30 sea lion encounter and had to be at the ferry terminal by 10 o'clock. We didn't get back to port until almost 3:30. We could have taken the 1 o'clock return ferry instead of the 2 o'clock and gotten back an hour earlier but we didn't have other plans in port so we chose to stay for lunch and to enjoy the island. Even if you took the 1 o'clock return ferry, you wouldn't have much time for sightseeing.

If you want to sightsee, I like BNBR's suggestion to get a private tour guide so you can customize where you go and for how long. Lunch at the Fish Fry is a great way to try some local food.

Ok, that's good to know it's limited. Our TA offers the package as well as the ship so I was concerned about the number of people if all ships offered. It sort of seems like a long day but a fun day.

On the link I posted before, there are pictures of our sea lion excursion at Blue Lagoon and of the island. If you decide to go with Blue Lagoon, take your ship's excursion. That way you don't have to mess with getting a taxi over to the ferry terminal. They will pick you up at the port.

Blue Lagoon really is nice. We haven't done the stingray encounter there but we've done the dolphin encounter, the sea lions and the Segway tour. Maybe your teens would enjoy the Segway tour then you could save the stingrays for Coco Cay.

That looks like fun! DH and I did Amazing Race in Cozumel and I found a tour that's similar and is short time wise so that we could do something else. We will have to keep the Segways in mind.

I just have to mention that my dh and I did the AR in Cozumel as well, and we're also doing the similar scavenger hunt in Nassau. The day we're going, we have until midnight before we leave - so lots and lots of time to do other things.

IKR our TA said there is not much available for our date. My ds wanted to go on a cruise for graduation and picked the ship. It's about 2 weeks after, my dd dances and her recital is June 15, so it's the earliest we could go. We've never been to Nassau so we are exploring all our options.