Dubrovnik and overcrowding........

Kwilson51

Any one else see the Today Show segment on overcrowded tourist areas this morning? They were in Dubrovnik interviewing the locals and hey are all upset with the mass amounts of tourist, specifically from the cruise ships. They showed the small town and it was elbow to elbow people. The government has decided to limit ships in port as well as shorten the times (This might be why we are not in port as long as usual). It just was interesting to hear about and see before we arrive in two weeks on the Star.

But this has happened to most ports over the years, but it is nice to be reminded that people actually live in the areas we are "visiting". :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Interesting. I literally booked this cruise yesterday (albeit, not cruising until June 2019.)

A couple semi-related questions for those who have done this before: 1) Venice customs: Do we have to clear customs when leaving the ship? I would think we would because of Kotor and Dubrovnik but wanted to check. 2) We're flying back to Newark via Montreal (hey, it was cheap!) I know I'll need to clear in Newark but what about Montreal? We won't be leaving the terminal.

Our return flight isn't until 1:45 but I'm a bit anal-retentive about such things :-)

Thanks!

i have cruised these ports several times over the last 6 year and it is amazing how many people there are in each now.. Dubrovnik I thought was actually still okay but Venice is super crowded to the point of ridiculous. So is Santorini, wow... they do need to limit the ships. I feel for the locals.

Interesting. I literally booked this cruise yesterday (albeit, not cruising until June 2019.)

A couple semi-related questions for those who have done this before: 1) Venice customs: Do we have to clear customs when leaving the ship? I would think we would because of Kotor and Dubrovnik but wanted to check. 2) We're flying back to Newark via Montreal (hey, it was cheap!) I know I'll need to clear in Newark but what about Montreal? We won't be leaving the terminal.

Our return flight isn't until 1:45 but I'm a bit anal-retentive about such things :-)

Thanks!

yes you will need to go through Canadian customs in Montreal

I did see the segment. It seems to me that if those ports are that crowded, it wouldn't be that much fun for the tourists either. Is it still as bad in the shoulder seasons

I was on the Jewel in May and in Ketchikan, Alaska, 5 ships dumped 12,000 passengers on shore and it was a mess and a tourist trap of shop after shop after shop. Juneau and other Alaskan ports were similar. Would never go back! The natives unhappily said, ALL the Jewelry (25 +)stores were owned by the cruise lines, bringing staff from their Caribbean shops to man them.

in Venise 2 weeks ago it was just horrible ..... too many people, too many rude travellers ...... it just spoils the trip ..... if you can , just be very early and visit whatever before the masscrowd arrives .... same in Dubrovnik but less dramatic we found.

Thanks!

I was on this cruise a month ago (and a year before that as well). We did not have to clear customs in Venice upon our return - just walked straight through the terminal. You will, however, have to go through a ridiculous secondary passport check at the Venice airport, which can take well over an hour. Don't mess around in the airport - get through passport control and find a seat near your gate. As for your second question, yes, you'll need to clear Canadian customs in Montreal. It's a very quick and efficient process.

Any one else see the Today Show segment on overcrowded tourist areas this morning? They were in Dubrovnik interviewing the locals and hey are all upset with the mass amounts of tourist, specifically from the cruise ships. They showed the small town and it was elbow to elbow people. The government has decided to limit ships in port as well as shorten the times (This might be why we are not in port as long as usual). It just was interesting to hear about and see before we arrive in two weeks on the Star.

But this has happened to most ports over the years, but it is nice to be reminded that people actually live in the areas we are "visiting". :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

This post is perfect timing. My wife and I just got back late last night from a week in Dubrovnik. We rented a villa for a week just outside the old city. Was it crowded? Yes, but not any more than NYC, DC or any other US city on the weekend. One day their were 4 ships in port and it really was not bad. What was really crowded and a much smaller town was Kotor Montenegró. We hired a guide and took a day trip there, much smaller town with 2 ships in ports, it was a little crazy but overall that bad. I'm putting some video together and will put the links up soon. Can't help you with the ship excursion but we walked the wall, went kayaking, went over to Lokrum. Lots and lots of great little restaurants and lots of places to shop. Bring change, most public bathrooms you will have to pay. Getting around is easy via bus or taxi.

We always travel to the Mediterranean in October and November. It is not crowded at all, not hot, very pleasant. You can run into the occasional cold bout, but I'd rather that than the horrible heat of the summer.

Yes, July and August were Prime months. We were told if you don't want the crowds come in May and September

Walking in Old Town.....

Cable Car......

We just returned from a Canadian land tour and an Alaskan Cruise. We started in Calgary for the Stampede. We also visited Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Vancouver...then took an Alaskan cruise. It was wall to wall people everywhere but Calgary! Even the out of way places were wall to wall. You couldn’t move in Banff and Lake Louise was insane.

We took our last Alaskan cruise 18 years ago. It was wonderful. The cruise ships have destroyed the charm of Alaska. What a difference 18 years makes. We were very surprised. We thought going in May would be better, but posters here tell me makes no difference.