Bringing Items and leaving them in islands

Any help would be appreciated,

A couple cruises ago we brought our friend living in the islands a suitcase of clothes and toys for her kids. Security questioned us about the items when we were getting off at the port and asked if we were leaving them on shore.

Whichever answer we told them worked, so my guess is we told them we were bringing them back on ship, but I cant remember if there were rules against leaving items on the island....

any tips or suggestions?

thx

Other than for tax purposes why would there be rules against leaving items on an island esp. if they were gifts for friends or relatives. I would simply have replied that yes these will be left on the island. I am giving them to a friend/family and provide the name of the recipient.

I have done several flight to the islands, and in the checkin area and boarding area, people were bringing things back to the islands for their house holds etc. Things like microwaves etc. I imagine if you were already going to the United States, it would be cheaper to make certain purchase here and lug them aboard as opposed to what the item cost at a local store in the islands.

I don't quite understand Bob's (aka host clarea) response of "Would cash help?"

Other than for tax purposes why would there be rules against leaving items on an island esp. if they were gifts for friends or relatives. I would simply have replied that yes these will be left on the island. I am giving them to a friend/family and provide the name of the recipient.

I have done several flight to the islands, and in the checkin area and boarding area, people were bringing things back to the islands for their house holds etc. Things like microwaves etc. I imagine if you were already going to the United States, it would be cheaper to make certain purchase here and lug them aboard as opposed to what the item cost at a local store in the islands.

I don't quite understand Bob's (aka host clarea) response of "Would cash help?"

If you take them cash instead of physical items, there would be no questions.