Staying near Webster - what's the traffic like to Galveston on port day?

On our first cruise out of Galveston, we actually stayed NORTH of Houston and drove in that morning. We got up early (like 7am...) and didn't have a problem making it to the ship at all. In fact, that cruise was the first cruise/cruiseship to return to Galveston after the hurricane, so we drove around the island looking at damage, et al. before heading to the terminal.

On our 2nd cruise from Galveston, we stayed way out in Bayport (Our route was a bit different that year with some stops we had to make. I found a good hotel in a good area....and I knew from experience that we had plenty of time to get to the terminal that next morning) It seems like a strange place for a pre-cruise hotel, but it worked for us that year/trip.

On our 3rd cruise out of Galveston, we stayed at the Best Western there on Seawall Blvd...had time that morning to go to Walmart and drive my parents all the way down the island to see it (They'd never been there before)

On our FOUTH trip to Galveston, we actually weren't cruising...we had been there so many times and each time said "We've GOT to return here someday and just see Galveston". So that year, we just drove down and spent time there seeing and doing things on the Island. When we left (after 5 days) we went to Webster....spent a full day at Spaceport (IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! I imagine your daughter would love it!!!) and an evening at Kemah. Kemah was nice.....not as wonderful as Spaceport, but certainly good for an evening. I think it would be great for a pre- or post-cruise evening. Check their website to find out when they are open...it's not 'all day every day'.... ;)

Reading your comment above...I wonder if your plan to drop off luggage at the terminal and walk around will work. If I remember correctly (and barring any changes in the last couple of years) there really isn't much in the area other than industrial and parking garages/lots. If you want to sightsee, perhaps that's something to do BEFORE heading to the terminal.

My blog post of our visit to Galveston and things to do there: https://frugaltravelerusa.wordpress.com/fun-things-to-do-in-around-galveston-texas/

Hey, thanks for the information, I read your blog. You did a great job! So much to do... I debated Moody Gardens, but decided against it. We might drive down on Saturday and check out Galveston. I'm not sure yet... I'm going to ask my daughter what she wants.

I am on same cruise for August 26th and have left from Webster numerous times for cruises. Thirty minutes to cruise port is approximate drive time. Have your driver avoid Harborside and take I45 into town, turn on 22nd to cruise port(less traffic).

This! Print this as your Uber driver will most likely follow their map of using Harborside.

We've cruised out of Galveston a number of times. Only a couple of times did we actually stay on the island. This was prior to reasonably priced hotels joining others and really jacking up their prices.

All the other times we've stayed in Texas City. We'll be cruising the week prior to you, and this time we're staying in League City.

Getting to port on a Sunday morning has never been a problem. Traffic seems lazy if you leave early. We do leave in time to be at port by 10:00 - 10:30. Also use the advice of not going down Harborside drive, although, that may be what a GPS might tell you. If you do this, you have to turn left into the port area, and that line gets very long.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yeah, one night at the Hilton was crazy. Being from Canada, I'm very happy to stay near the mall and do some shopping. :hearteyes: We're heading straight back to IAH after the cruise, so this is the only opportunity.

I will make sure to tell my uber driver. Thanks for the info.

On our first cruise out of Galveston, we actually stayed NORTH of Houston and drove in that morning. We got up early (like 7am...) and didn't have a problem making it to the ship at all. In fact, that cruise was the first cruise/cruiseship to return to Galveston after the hurricane, so we drove around the island looking at damage, et al. before heading to the terminal.

On our 2nd cruise from Galveston, we stayed way out in Bayport (Our route was a bit different that year with some stops we had to make. I found a good hotel in a good area....and I knew from experience that we had plenty of time to get to the terminal that next morning) It seems like a strange place for a pre-cruise hotel, but it worked for us that year/trip.

On our 3rd cruise out of Galveston, we stayed at the Best Western there on Seawall Blvd...had time that morning to go to Walmart and drive my parents all the way down the island to see it (They'd never been there before)

On our FOUTH trip to Galveston, we actually weren't cruising...we had been there so many times and each time said "We've GOT to return here someday and just see Galveston". So that year, we just drove down and spent time there seeing and doing things on the Island. When we left (after 5 days) we went to Webster....spent a full day at Spaceport (IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!! I imagine your daughter would love it!!!) and an evening at Kemah. Kemah was nice.....not as wonderful as Spaceport, but certainly good for an evening. I think it would be great for a pre- or post-cruise evening. Check their website to find out when they are open...it's not 'all day every day'.... ;)

Reading your comment above...I wonder if your plan to drop off luggage at the terminal and walk around will work. If I remember correctly (and barring any changes in the last couple of years) there really isn't much in the area other than industrial and parking garages/lots. If you want to sightsee, perhaps that's something to do BEFORE heading to the terminal.

My blog post of our visit to Galveston and things to do there: https://frugaltravelerusa.wordpress.com/fun-things-to-do-in-around-galveston-texas/

The Galveston 'Strand' is only a couple of blocks from Harbourside and the port. I'm not sure when the storefronts would start opening but I imagine at 11am or so.

“Reading your comment above...I wonder if your plan to drop off luggage at the terminal and walk around will work. If I remember correctly (and barring any changes in the last couple of years) there really isn't much in the area other than industrial and parking garages/lots. If you want to sightsee, perhaps that's something to do BEFORE heading to the terminal. “

————————————————

Totally inaccurate observation . The port and terminals are across the street from Old Town Strand , many Museums and Shops , restaurants, and fun things to do .

The Galveston 'Strand' is only a couple of blocks from Harbourside and the port. I'm not sure when the storefronts would start opening but I imagine at 11am or so.

Thank you... I'm very much looking forward to this New experience.

“Reading your comment above...I wonder if your plan to drop off luggage at the terminal and walk around will work. If I remember correctly (and barring any changes in the last couple of years) there really isn't much in the area other than industrial and parking garages/lots. If you want to sightsee, perhaps that's something to do BEFORE heading to the terminal. “

————————————————

Totally inaccurate observation . The port and terminals are across the street from Old Town Strand , many Museums and Shops , restaurants, and fun things to do .

Thanks for letting us know :)

Sorry....;) and thank you for the info... :D

Must remember there is just one bridge that needs to be crossed to get on island a few years ago there was a accident which caused us a couple hour delay to get across the bridge .

That’s Good information.

Even with two hour delay, travel in morning on causeway , gives you time to get to terminals . And with any major circumstancial incident the cruise ships will delay departure for short while to allow many cruisers delayed to board .

And to add information,

The causeway is total 8 main lanes - 4 lanes northbound and 4 lanes southbound with each side having 2 emergency lanes one on each side . 10 total lanes .

EB63FADC-0BA2-455C-A497-E303AE70DBB6.jpeg.563b1c008d42eba80b897935c00528eb.jpeg

Edited by ssb

Must remember there is just one bridge that needs to be crossed to get on island a few years ago there was a accident which caused us a couple hour delay to get across the bridge .

This is my exact fear of not staying on the island. I wonder though if there were enough people not onboard because of something like this, if they'd delay sailing!?!

That’s Good information.

Even with two hour delay, travel in morning on causeway , gives you time to get to terminals . And with any major circumstancial incident the cruise ships will delay departure for short while to allow many cruisers delayed to board .

And to add information,

The causeway is total 8 main lanes - 4 lanes northbound and 4 lanes southbound with each side having 2 emergency lanes one on each side . 10 total lanes .

Hahahaha you answered my other question of whether or not the ship would wait if enough people weren't aboard because of something out of our control.

Thank you for the picture, it helps ease though fears. I think we will return car at 9 when they open and head straight there. Being able to walk around instead of hanging out in the terminal makes this a no brainer for me.

We avoid that bridge by going to Surfside Beach (Near Freeport) Southwest of Galveston and going up route 257 to our hotel. We drive to the port and cut across from various places along I-35. This year it will be Waco. Easy to find on Google Maps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is my exact fear of not staying on the island. I wonder though if there were enough people not onboard because of something like this, if they'd delay sailing!?!

Lucky for us this happened on Saturday and we were just going hotel since ship left on Sunday , just pointing out stuff can happen.

Lucky for us this happened on Saturday and we were just going hotel since ship left on Sunday , just pointing out stuff can happen.

T:)hanks for your excellent input, thoughts and information . They have always been helpful!

We avoid that bridge by going to Surfside Beach (Near Freeport) Southwest of Galveston and going up route 257 to our hotel. We drive to the port and cut across from various places along I-35. This year it will be Waco. Easy to find on Google Maps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's too far out of my way, but a great alternative for others :)

You've definitely helped me decide on going early ish... head down shortly after 9 am and go for a stroll if time permits. Thanks! :D