Formal Nights

Me and my wife always dress up for elegant night. Its not often that we go out to dinners where formal dress is warranted, so its a nice little change up for us, plus we use that opportunity to take some nice pictures which adorns the walls of our home.

I usually wear a suit and tie. I like to dress up at least one night so we can get a nice picture. My DW will wear something elegant or dressy. If we are on a 7 day cruise, I will wear the shirt and dress pants the second night and not bother with tie/jacket. I try not to overpack, so I make my evening clothes go 2-3 nights by having shirts and pants that can mix/match. I NEVER wear shorts/t-shirts/sneakers/jeans/etc. to dinner. I do have some manners, and I can still feel my grandmother grabbing me by the ear, pulling me from the table, and telling me to go dress "decent" for dinner.

Just got off the Vista on Sunday and the 1st formal night I didn't see anyone in the dining room or even taking pictures that weren't at least reasonably dressed up - but about 80% of what I saw were women in cocktail / fancy dresses with lace or beads etc and men in jackets and ties, about 10% in formal floor length gowns and the men either in coat and tie and a few in tuxes, 5% in nice dresses or pant suits/ 5 % in casual dresses or pants, men in dress shirts/ties and some in casual dress shirts without a tie. Saw very few very casually dressed in the dining room - but did see casual dressers heading into the buffet or specialty restaurants.

The 2nd night was less casual but mainly cocktail or at least Sunday best dresses / men in coats and ties or dress shirts and ties... seemed to be more dressed up but nor formal or elegant by any means ... but at least what I could consider church clothes lol...

I will say this group seemed much more dressed up for dinner every night than I had experience on our last cruise on the Magic.