Vancouver to California - Best time to cruise

Dreamer115

I'm glad to hear so many people have had a great time. I've sailed this route 3 times (4th we booked last night for this September.) Beware of the swells if you are prone to sea sickness it might not be the route for you. Our last time was on the Star in December before Drydock with 20 ft swells. Have also sailed in September and May with similar conditions.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

So it didn't seem to matter, weather can be the same at any time I guess. Oh well, I think we have decided on the fall sailing. Best chance for nicer weather.

Remember those famous words, "coldest winter I ever had was a summer in San Francisco." All along the CA coast it's called "June Gloom", so I would go with Fall over Spring. Also, northbound is much rougher than southbound. We sailed Panama to San Francisco and the last night the closet doors were opening and closing and the drawers were sliding in and out. Good thing we had been on the ship for 15 days so just rolled over and went to sleep.

The north coast never really gets hot especially if you're at sea and moving. But we go to the SF coast frequently and two weeks ago in Monterey we're sweating at 66 a little fog, and no wind. Also, been there in January with 70's no clouds, no wind, and getting sunburned. Bottom line, weather along the coast is a roll of the dice no matter the time of the year.

The north coast never really gets hot especially if you're at sea and moving. But we go to the SF coast frequently and two weeks ago in Monterey we're sweating at 66 a little fog, and no wind. Also, been there in January with 70's no clouds, no wind, and getting sunburned. Bottom line, weather along the coast is a roll of the dice no matter the time of the year.

We usually get a nice week or two in February ... sometimes January. It's the roll of the dice and can't bank on it.

We live pretty close to the City (San Francisco) and we've not had warm weather at all this year. I hear my friends up in the Sacramento area have had very hot weather, though. It's probably not gotten much past 75 degrees here all summer and the last couple of weeks were more like the 60s. Then again, I've been on several cruises out of the City and a couple of them were so hot....one was in May and it was in the mid nineties as we departed and one in Sept where it was in the high nineties ... over in the City!! San Diego was 105 degrees and humid....crazy!! So, that's really unusual but you never can tell too far ahead of time what it will be like outside.

Good thing everyone isn't here in our deserts in So Calif, our summers around July & August see normally temps 110 + and a lot of humidity this summer. Last week it was above 114.

Now, that is fatal heat. Yikes!! We don't have AC (most in this area do not) so don't know what we would do in that kind of heat. Guess we'd have to rent a hotel room with AC somewhere. :D