Lights Out

cruisin'4fun

I'd be happy if my neighbors would just turn off their balcony lights.

Don't your curtains darken your cabin. I have never been in a balcony cabin but have been in a outside cabin and the curtains blocked out all light.

So you want someone to fall down a set of stairs and break their neck just so you can stargaze? How about this.....go buy some land in Montana and look at all the stars you want without putting someone else's life at risk to fulfill your silly fantasies.

Don't you think your response is a little on the harsh side? Just a little? And unwarranted, I might add.

Don't you think your response is a little on the harsh side? Just a little? And unwarranted, I might add.

I'm with you Towel Critter. It's amazing that all these folks who read and reply to threads have one thing in common, we all love to cruise. When folks ask "why do you cruise" one of the responses is "it's a great way to meet people from all over the world who have like interests." Yet, people write things hiding behind a computer that they would never say to someone's face. What has happened to decency and respect for others. It's really a sad commentary.

Here's a suggestion for users of this site.....why not we make believe the person receiving the thread you are writing is your favorite grandma and write like you would write to her. Kindness is contagious.

I responded to a person who was nasty that they were acting like an .......I then was notified by the moderators that I was penalized for about inappropriate language; so I no longer call people ......... anymore.

I'm with you Towel Critter. It's amazing that all these folks who read and reply to threads have one thing in common, we all love to cruise. When folks ask "why do you cruise" one of the responses is "it's a great way to meet people from all over the world who have like interests." Yet, people write things hiding behind a computer that they would never say to someone's face. What has happened to decency and respect for others. It's really a sad commentary.

Here's a suggestion for users of this site.....why not we make believe the person receiving the thread you are writing is your favorite grandma and write like you would write to her. Kindness is contagious.

I responded to a person who was nasty that they were acting like an .......I then was notified by the moderators that I was penalized for about inappropriate language; so I no longer call people ......... anymore.

So what do you call em, Arnold Hole ???? JK :halo:

I'd be happy if my neighbors would just turn off their balcony lights.

I had that very issue on several sailings. I left a very polite post it note on their door asking them to be aware that there lights were on all night. Some people will say that will just tick them off and could cause a neighborly riff but each time I did the post it note, they turned of their lights. One couple even thanked me because they said when they left for the evening, they really didnt pay much attention to it. Now keep in mind, this was only when the lights were left on at night and they were not on their balconies. Never hurts to ask. The majority of people are pretty cool about things. I feel schmucks are in the minority.

On the victory in 2006 there was a full lunar eclipse. The day before the clips my then 13 yr old son , approached the captain, advised him of the upcoming eclipse and asked if they could turn off the lights. The next day the eclipse was mention in the fun times , advised people to go on deck and watch and the lights would be turned off at that time. A few minutes before totally most lights off and the stars jumped out. Was very cool, and it pleased the heck out of the son.

Why would they not due this? They would let us late night people something to see and something to remember.Something to separate themselves from the others' date='not to mention more sales.

I enjoy stargazing as much as anyone, Laying on the top deck of a houseboat on Lake Powell is the most amazing thing ever, more stars than you could ever imagine. But, do you really think a 30 minute blackout on a cruise ship so that you can see the stars will lead to more sales? Really? Hey, I've got a bridge in NY if you're interested.

Nope. Stupid rants like this one needs the slap of reality (since they obviously can't think the consequences of such actions through on their own). Any other questions?
For the life of me, I can't imagine how you interpreted the OP's post as a "rant." I didn't read it that way at all. I read it as a wish for something, while realizing that wish probably isn't possible because of maritime law. You way over-reacted to an innocent post, whether you see it or not. Nope, no more questions.

I wish I could remember which ship or line offers star gazing with low light and telescopes available. Disney maybe? Anyone?

Cunard did this on my last crossing. One of the guest lecturers was an astronomer and he hosted the evening stargazing events.

But, as several people have mentioned, you just need to get to the front of the ship, near the bridge. They keep that area very dark, so the crew can watch out for other ships.

It's not quite as dark as camping in the middle of nowhere, but if you give your eyes some time to adjust it's certainly better then trying to see stars in my backyard.

So you want someone to fall down a set of stairs and break their neck just so you can stargaze? How about this.....go buy some land in Montana and look at all the stars you want without putting someone else's life at risk to fulfill your silly fantasies.

There are lots of ways to provide necessary illumination to walkways and stairways without lighting up the sky or blinding people who enjoy seeing the night sky. Bright lights are actually more of a hazard than is darkness. Human eyes can adjust from darkness to light much faster than from light to darkness.

Thanks for your opinion but it seems you may be the one who is overreacting. Maybe you should go read the post on John's site. Simple logic dictates why this is a terrible idea (imagine all of the people trying to walk around the ship in total darkness and if you can't picture how dangerous and irresponsible that is, I can't help).

In my opinion, someone who is stating an innocent (but absurd) wish wouldn't start their post with "I've been on 16 cruises". The number of cruises someone has taken doesn't make any difference in logic and safety nor does it give more weight to their "wish".

I give up. Carry on telling folks how stupid they are if it makes you happy. I've already expressed the point I wanted to make, so there is no use continuing this conversation. Happy cruising!

I had that very issue on several sailings. I left a very polite post it note on their door asking them to be aware that there lights were on all night. Some people will say that will just tick them off and could cause a neighborly riff but each time I did the post it note, they turned of their lights. One couple even thanked me because they said when they left for the evening, they really didnt pay much attention to it. Now keep in mind, this was only when the lights were left on at night and they were not on their balconies. Never hurts to ask. The majority of people are pretty cool about things. I feel schmucks are in the minority.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.:)

Thanks for your opinion but it seems you may be the one who is overreacting. Maybe you should go read the post on John's site. Simple logic dictates why this is a terrible idea (imagine all of the people trying to walk around the ship in total darkness and if you can't picture how dangerous and irresponsible that is, I can't help).

In my opinion, someone who is stating an innocent (but absurd) wish wouldn't start their post with "I've been on 16 cruises". The number of cruises someone has taken doesn't make any difference in logic and safety nor does it give more weight to their "wish".

Even with the lights on I see people fall all the time late at night. It's called being really drunk. You better go yell at those bartenders for over serving. Im guessing you were one of those so now how would you make it up or down the stairs being drunk and no lights on. Now I get it.

Granted, from a safety point of view this would be difficult without some serious planning but it could be done.

You just seem to be wound up tight. People are allowed to "wish" or "dream" without you being so rude. Sharing with us that the OP has been on 16 cruises shows how much the OP enjoys cruising and that her wish might even make the experience better. Take a chill pill and let others be; you'll live longer not spending so much energy putting people in their place with YOUR opinion........or you'd probably be happier had I said

" Go Cheerleader....that OP was a real loser. What the hell could they be thinking.....Stupid also contacting John Herald. You'd think after 16 cruises the OP should get with the program. Hope they trip in a dark area on the ship"...............You choose.......I'm done.

Come on, John. Everyone knows you can't see Uranus in the dark! :cool:

That was hilarious! and apparently we aren't the only ones who would like the top of the ship darkened for a bit at night. I thought Princess also dimmed the lights up top for a bit at night, thanks for the tip about Cunard. I bet that was a fascinating talk.

Towel Critter - on all of our "16 cruises" I believe our balcony lights only worked once! Last February on the Freedom! I would not be insulted at all if my neighbor asked me to turn them out. I would be embarrassed that I had overlooked it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, except people like Parakeet Bob or I guess he's now Carnival Cheerleader have taken the fun out of Cruise Critic and I had stopped checking in. But now that DH is retired, he discovered he likes to read up on cruising instead of me doing all the research and planning.

This is the harshest post I have ever written- I always tried to answer questions, if I knew the answer, with respect and courtesy. I'm embarrassed for all you rude people. :( Deb

Towel Critter - on all of our "16 cruises" I believe our balcony lights only worked once! Last February on the Freedom! I would not be insulted at all if my neighbor asked me to turn them out. I would be embarrassed that I had overlooked it.

Now that I think about it, our balcony light often doesn't work either. At least one of our neighbor's lights always seems to be in good repair though. lol. Happy cruising!