The New York/Texas Liquor Law & CHEERS! Question...

CruisnMom007

Hello fellow cruisers!

Does anyone have details on WHAT the laws are in New York specifically, that is not allowing passengers who purchase the CHEERS package to be able to have their drinks the first day and have to wait till day 2 of sailing? I understand anyone can go to the bar and PURCHASE a drink that first day so I am a bit perplexed as to the difference. I know Texas has an issue as well.

Thanks in advance!

All I can tell you is how it was with NCL, as we have not used CHEERS out of NYC with CCL. On NCL, we walked right on and our unlimited drinks package was active and good to go, we were having champagne while we were still on the dock.

Others have said Cheers works differently, maybe the interpret the local liquor laws differently?

This article might help explain some of the rules for Texas as they are interviewing someone from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

My guess is that, like in Texas, they have to serve only alcohol purchased in New York until they reach international waters, or waters outside of New York jurisdiction. Until they can break out the duty free liquor they purchased elsewhere they may have a limited menu of drinks (like on a Texas cruise).

https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

Edited by MediumB

This article might help explain some of the rules for Texas as they are interviewing someone from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission

My guess is that, like in Texas, they have to serve only alcohol purchased in New York until they reach international waters, or waters outside of New York jurisdiction. Until they can break out the duty free liquor they purchased elsewhere they may have a limited menu of drinks (like on a Texas cruise).

https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

hey maybe this is the reason for the difference between CCL/NCL....maybe NCL buys some NYC booze so that you can drink in port...

And with a little bit more research I found the New York law:

The ABC Law prohibits from selling, serving, delivering or offering to patrons an unlimited number of drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price.

Source: https://www.sla.ny.gov/unlimited-drink-specials

That makes sense. Wonder how NCL gets around this law in NY ?

Good question. They do the same thing in Texas, or did when they used to sail out of Galveston and Houston. Maybe Carnival is just being overly cautious?

I still wonder to this day why it is this way in Texas. I have sailed from Galveston on Carnival(Breeze) with cheers and had to pay for drinks that first day. I have sailed from Galveston on Royal(Navigator of the Seas) with a drink package purchased and was able to use the package the minute we boarded BUT they did have a list of spirits that could only be served. Royal had a sign at the bar in the Windjammer that listed the specialty drinks they could make with what they were allowed to use. Once in open waters, of course everything was available. I have sailed from Houston on NCL(Jem) with the drink package that was included with the cruise fare and able to use the package the minute we boarded. Still have never heard why Royal and NCL could serve drinks to those with the package and Carnival can not.

In Texas you don't pay for cheers for the first day, it kicks in at 6am the following morning.

I have seen them load a lot of liquor, wrapped in black plastic that says "Texas Liquor". Some weird laws, I have heard its due to the unlimited drinks for a fixed price.

I have sailed out of NY twice and first few hours they don't put drinks into the computor. They have a handwritten slips they use until they get into international waters then they put all the past drinks that are on the handwritten slips into computer. And then the ones you order when their in international are put into the computer the usual way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

I heard NCL found a loop hole in the law. NCL passengers still pay tax on drink package while in port. Carnival is not willing to take the risk so they just start their Cheers the next day. It is something to do with the unlimited drinks. Some NYC restaurants just had to stop the "all you can drink" brunch that included mimosa.

I heard NCL found a loop hole in the law. NCL passengers still pay tax on drink package while in port. Carnival is not willing to take the risk so they just start their Cheers the next day. It is something to do with the unlimited drinks. Some NYC restaurants just had to stop the "all you can drink" brunch that included mimosa.

I'm pretty sure that Carnival charges NYC sales tax on beverages until they get into international waters. For me it's no big deal. I buy Cheers in NY and pay for 1 less day. The $110.00 we save we buy what we want. Embarkation we are usually tired and are fine making that our light drinking day.. When on NCL we get the drink package as a perk so we don't feel like we have to drink a lot on day one to get our moneys worth.

I'm pretty sure that Carnival charges NYC sales tax on beverages until they get into international waters. For me it's no big deal. I buy Cheers in NY and pay for 1 less day. The $110.00 we save we buy what we want. Embarkation we are usually tired and are fine making that our light drinking day.. When on NCL we get the drink package as a perk so we don't feel like we have to drink a lot on day one to get our moneys worth.

We went out of NYC this year, NCL in March with drink package all 7 days, and CCL in June with Cheers only 7 of the 8 days. We usually like to drink the most on night one, so we spent more than the $110 we saved by only purchasing a 7 vs 8 day package. It's not really a big deal for us either. Just think Carnival is being more cautious and playing it safe.

What's interesting is it appears that on Princess cruises (owned by Carnival) their drink package is available staring day One on cruises departing Brooklyn/NYC T & C..https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

To comply Carnival would have to buy liquor from the respective states(serving from bottles with the state seal)for the first day, rather than do that they have chosen to just forgo offering cheers the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to figure that in both Texas and NY there is tax. Other cruise lines add that to your acct when you use the bev package in port maybeCarnival doesn’t want the hassle paying these taxes back to Texas and NY. NCL and Celebrity have no problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to figure that in both Texas and NY there is tax. Other cruise lines add that to your acct when you use the bev package in port maybeCarnival doesn’t want the hassle paying these taxes back to Texas and NY. NCL and Celebrity have no problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All cruise lines, including Carnival, charge tax on drinks while in US Waters

From Cheers FAQ

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call).

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app