Looking for reassurance

Help! My husband and I are leaving for a cruise out of Port Lauderdale on the Harmony on Saturday. This is only my second cruise, the last one being on the Oasis about 5 years ago. Normally, I'm a pretty good vacation planner, but this year I haven't done ANYTHING. Or anything by my usual standards. We don't have any excursions planned (St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, and Labadee) or any dinner reservations (except picking a dining time of 8, which is late for us, but our options were limited b/c we WAITING SO LATE). I feel so unprepared. Please reassure me that we will still have a good time and that the whole thing won't be a disaster. I'm exaggerating, obviously, but I am nervous.:o

Also, a question. Our empty luggage stays in the room with us, right? Do most people stash it under the bed? Does that generally work fine, or do we need to worry about the size of our luggage and making sure it fits. I need to bring my pillow, so I think I'm looking at more luggage that I normally would. (We're flying on Southwest, so we get to check up to four bags.)

ItwillbefineItwillbefineItwillbefine...

Help! My husband and I are leaving for a cruise out of Port Lauderdale on the Harmony on Saturday. This is only my second cruise, the last one being on the Oasis about 5 years ago. Normally, I'm a pretty good vacation planner, but this year I haven't done ANYTHING. Or anything by my usual standards. We don't have any excursions planned (St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, and Labadee) or any dinner reservations (except picking a dining time of 8, which is late for us, but our options were limited b/c we WAITING SO LATE). I feel so unprepared. Please reassure me that we will still have a good time and that the whole thing won't be a disaster. I'm exaggerating, obviously, but I am nervous.:o

Also, a question. Our empty luggage stays in the room with us, right? Do most people stash it under the bed? Does that generally work fine, or do we need to worry about the size of our luggage and making sure it fits. I need to bring my pillow, so I think I'm looking at more luggage that I normally would. (We're flying on Southwest, so we get to check up to four bags.)

ItwillbefineItwillbefineItwillbefine...

It will be fine. We have sailed on Harmony several times. When you get on board, the first thing you will want to do is go to the box office and book your shows. With late dining you are going to want to work around that time.

Also know that there is a free dining option every night in the Solarium. You do need to make reservations, but it is well worth eating there.

Also on deck 8 is the Park Café - it is the first place we head everything we sail on the Oasis Class ships.

And yes, the luggage should fit under the bed. At least two of the cases anyway.

You will enjoy your time onboard the Harmony.

None of your ports require "excursions"....labadee is the ship's beach day...no need to book anything there! The other ports are very easy DIY stops! A bit of research will be helpful, tho! Google your ports...see what's there that catches your eye!

Yes...your luggage will fit under the bed. If it doesn't slide easily under the bed, lift the bed frame...it will fit!

You'll have a great time, I'm sure! It's a vacation...no need to "over-plan"!

The ports you are going to really don't require excursions. Labadee is a beach. St. Maartin, you can wing it. Do port shopping, jump in a taxi and go to Maho Beach or Orient beach. Puerto Rico. Pretty much just walk up and down the cobblestone streets. Quite a few photo opts and interesting things to see and do without even leaving the port.

It WILL be fine!

I stash my empty suitcase under the bed. My 27" suitcase, which is about 10" deep, fits with no problem. That was aboard the Serenade. I would imagine the beds are comparable across the whole fleet, but I can't guarantee that. It gives me a place to stash my dirty clothes too.

I think over planning can ruin a cruise more than under planning. You're on a ship. Just go with the flow. You can always eat in the Windjammer on those days you don't want to spend two hours in the dining room. Be flexible. There's a lot of people who plan each day as it comes and have a great time. We never make plans for every port and a lot of times just walk around, go to the beach or spend the day on the ship.

It WILL be fine!

I stash my empty suitcase under the bed. My 27" suitcase, which is about 10" deep, fits with no problem. That was aboard the Serenade. I would imagine the beds are comparable across the whole fleet, but I can't guarantee that. It gives me a place to stash my dirty clothes too.

Mine won't fit under Serenades bed even with bag open. It has the 4 wheel spinners, Olympia Soft sides, so I have to store in the Closet...

Some excursions may be fully booked but often times, people will cancel last minute or no-show. I had a snorkeling excursion get canceled due to weather and there happened to be plenty of room in another land based excursion that i was able to transfer to right on the pier. The only downside is that you'll have to pay full price rather than the pre-cruise discounted rate.

On the boat, the shows may be booked but there's always a standby that you can wait in to get seats.

26 cruises and luggage has always fit under bed (typical luggage)

St. Marten - If you want to see the plans landing (google Maho beach) just take a cab (another more pretty beach is within walking distance also). So plan the day there if you want a beach day, etc.

Labadee -- don't need an excursion BUT when you get off the ship and walk down the pier you will see a beautiful beach on the left side (don't go to that beach). It's very rocky. Take tram to Columbus Cove (which is all the way past the straw market) - its a much better beach and you will LOVE it there. You will think it's crazy to walk past the beach on the left because from the walk way it looks so inviting -- but don't. Lots of folks don't like a stop at Labadee because they didn't enjoy this beach.

Puerto Rico - the ship stops right in the old downtown area. If you want a beach book an excursion, if you want to walk around the town and visit the fort (pretty cool) then you don't need an excursion.

Others have already hit my general thoughts as far as the ports go. I guess I'll just add another voice of reassurance. If there's one type of vacation that you can still totally enjoy without a bunch of pre-planning, it's a cruise! As long as you've paid your spot and show up on time, just enjoy it!

Others have already hit my general thoughts as far as the ports go. I guess I'll just add another voice of reassurance. If there's one type of vacation that you can still totally enjoy without a bunch of pre-planning' date=' it's a cruise![/color'] As long as you've paid your spot and show up on time, just enjoy it!

More so on ships other than Oasis and Quantum class.

More so on ships other than Oasis and Quantum class.

Definitely a good clarification. So then I would just say, if you haven't planned much as yet, don't go crazy trying to look now and see what you MIGHT have missed out on. There will still be plenty to do. Once you get on board, take the advice up-thread and head to the box office, excursions desk, etc. to see what IS available, rather than worry about what isn't.

St Maarten is one of our favorites. We have enjoyed sitting at Sunset Bar watching the planes come in, but also loved sitting in lounge chairs on beautiful Maho beach watching them arrive as well! Taxis are everywhere,no problem to catch one. If you enjoy being on the water and/or snorkeling try Capt. Bob Sougalia’s speedboat excursion. It is by far one of the best we’ve ever taken.

Puerto Rico has wonderful snorkeling. We also enjoy Old SanJuan and the Fort. So there’s plenty of fun things to do, even if you do them on your own. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In May we took the Harmony.

We had two bags that measured 13 (deep), 30 (length), and 20 (width). Basically two large size bags. We also also had two bags that would be considered the maximum for carryon on airlines 13 (deep) 25 (length), and 19 (width). I included some fudge on the measurements on the large side to take in account the various handles. All four fit under the bed without nesting. We also brought aboard a small roll about, which we were able to fit under the bed

I worry about everything, (and plan out ridiculously) and I say you have nothing to worry about! You can book excursions, if you want to, from the tv in your room or the excursion desk. When you get on board, there will be a place designated for making /changing dinner reservations. One outside a dining room, one on the promenade. I am sure you can ask about shows. take it easy and do this after eating lunch before your room is ready. Regardless of how all that turns out, it is all about being on the ship!