Krka National Park or Split & Diocletian Palace

TallulahBrady

We are sailing on the Seabourn Odyssey (9/22-10/6) and will visit the port of Zadar. We have an option to go on an excursion to either Krka National Park or Spli & Diocletian Palace. Which one would people suggest? Or should we just explore Zadar? Thank you!

I haven't anything to offer about Krka, but I have visited Split and Diocletian's Palace. It was in mid-August, blazing hot (of course) and so crowded in the palace our group could barely make headway. I remember that two of the tour guides got into a shouting match, which was somewhat interesting but not edifying. The palace complex is fascinating, and I would hope that after mid-September both the high temperatures and crowds would be less troubling.

We took an Adriatic cruise with SB last September and visited both places.

We went to Krka Falls on a private excursion from Sibenik (changed to Vodice). It was a Sunday and massively crowded with locals and families. We weren't in port long enough to go to the more interesting parts of Krka NP so we just saw the waterfalls and walked along the surrounding boardwalk trails. It's a lovely spot, but truth be told, if you've seen other pretty waterfalls, it's not worth the effort.

We took a SB shorex to Split and Diocletian's Palace from Primosten. We had a guided tour along the pedestrianized centre of town and then visited the underground chambers of the Palace, St Doimus Cathedral and the Jewish Ghetto. It was also very crowded but manageable. Lunch was included in an average restaurant along the Riva seafront. We preferred our day in Split over that at Krka Falls.

I wouldn't bother with Krka falls - MightyQuinn said it well: it's a mass of humanity (at least on weekends) and the waterfalls themselves aren't that great. There is a long winding trail to walk but there really isn't much to see - some interesting small fish and bugs, not much else.

It is close to two hours (one way!) from Zadar to Split...

I would walk around Zadar instead. It is a lovely town with many sights.

Plus many good restaurants for a leisurely lunch.

The ship should dock right at the city so you can walk back for a nap afterwards :*

It is close to two hours (one way!) from Zadar to Split...

I would walk around Zadar instead. It is a lovely town with many sights.

Plus many good restaurants for a leisurely lunch.

The ship should dock right at the city so you can walk back for a nap afterwards :*

Great to hear that. I've been researching what we want to do in Zadar as well... I knew the town was close to the port and walkable, but its nice to hear that staying around is a good option!

We went to Krka from Vodice when the Odyssey visited there in July. We were late arriving due to late leaving Venice the day before and the tour didn’t start until 1.30pm. Although the park was busy, it was a lovely walk around and despite what others have said the waterfalls were impressive. What was annoying was the tour description did not say to take swimming gear, and when we got there,it was possible to swim in the water below the falls so go prepared. We were there on a Sunday and it was mostly locals, but were told by our guide, it can get very busy if there any big ships in the local ports and the numbers allowed in the water are then restricted.

We also docked in Zadar by the singing steps, also a lovely place to walk around, there is also a decent beach there(small stones) if you’re prepared to walk along the seafront for 20 mins or so.