What is the typical content the Lincoln Center performances?

Modern_Viking

I am wondering what is the typical content the Lincoln Center performances on HAL?

--mostly classical and chamber music

--any light classical or pops music (this the Boston Pops)

--any Broadway musical favorites

Many years ago the duos and trios on HAL (usually performing in the Explorer's Lounge) seemed to sometimes focus on pops and Broadway (e.g. show tunes) during performances. But in the past few years, on the HAL cruises I have taken, the music seems to be all classical with no pops or Broadway style music.

Often it seemed if the musicians were Filipino, they would know and play much from Broadway. But if the musicians were Eastern European, they would not plan any Broadway or pops tunes.

I am wondering which way the Lincoln Center performances lean. Thanks if you have any info to share.

On Koningsdam summer of 2017, the Lincoln Center group played a smattering of EVERYTHING. They were awesome!

Serious, complex chamber music, Broadway, Boston Pops type stuff and current contemporary music (was that Lady Gaga?).

Just did the K'dam to Norway this past June. The Lincoln Center ensemble consisted of a string quartet with an added pianist. They were fantastic. They did different programs each evening including straight classical, an evening of movie-themed selections and (my favorite) a set of rock that was amazingly arranged. I asked one of their players if they did their own arrangements and they did not so I can only assume that HAL has purchased these arrangements and they're being performed throughout the fleet.

Westerdam had a fantastic quintet that played a bit of everything, not as much classical as we expected. Hugely better than what HAL has had in the past.

They played some seas days in the afternoon, also, in the show lounge and did 2 sets each evening. Showcasing the individual players and their specialties was an added bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic group of talented musicians, all classically trained in Europe on our cruise. On K'dam last Christmas, their performances were packed, people even stood through several performances. Arrive at least 15 minutes early for good seats. For my traveling companion, these performances were the best part of the cruise, yet I had to twist his arm to make him go to the first concert. After that, we attended every evening they played. They also play for the BBC Earth performance on the main stage, so they don't have any concerts that evening. I believe they have one night off during the cruise as well. Am I remembering correctly?

The shows we saw were themed. There were typically two different shows each day:

• Piaf to Peanuts (2 performances)
  • Viva La Musica

• Bernstein to Bublé (2x)
  • Masterworks by Dvořák

• La Musica Latina (3x)

• All American Program (2x)
  • Masterworks by Brahms

• Masterworks by Schumann
  • Classic Favorites
  • Fresh Perspectives: From Schubert to Sting

• French Connections
  • Meet the Artists (More of a Meet & Greet than a performance)
  • La Musica Latina

It looks like a new program since our last cruise in February.

No, mine's an old one. It's from the Eurodam in December 2016. Based on programs I've seen, it's fairly representative.

Here's the music played in the All American Favorites program.

"Hoedown" by Aaron Copeland (1)

Prologue from "West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein (2)

An arrangement, by the pianist, of "Ants Marching" by The Dave Matthews Band

"Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin

"Dream a Little Dream of Me" (3)

"Appalachian Spring" also by Copeland (4)

(1) - It's used in the "Beef. That's what's for dinner commercial.

(2) - It's the number where all the Jets are snapping their fingers at the beginning of the play and movie. (Not when you're a Jet though.)

(3) - Music by Fabian Andre & Wilbur Schwandt and lyrics by Gus Kahn. Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald made it famous.

(4) - You'd know it if you heard it. "Lord of the Dance" is a recurring theme in the piece. You know the one: "Dance, dance, wherever you may be, I am the Lord of the Dance said he...

The next to last page of When and Where will provide the programs (theme not playlist) for each of their performances each night. Lincoln Center will probably be dark one or 2 nights per cruise, including a night where they are onstage accompanying BBC earth presentations.

Roy

They did 6 nights on our 7 day Eurodam cruise. They did not perform on embarkation day, but they did have performances the day of the BBC Earth show in the main theater.

Highly recommended. Try to arrive early because the performances fill up.