Unsupervised kids on ncl vs carnival

Thebosn1

I've cruised Carnival twice - I'll likely never cruise that line again for the same reason I don't stay at Circus Circus or Treasure Island when I'm in Vegas: I don't want to deal with kids/teenagers and I'll pay more and schedule appropriately to minimize the number of < 21 year olds on a boat with me.

I've chosen longer cruises and/or cruise during school months. I've raised three kids and I'm under 50 - so I don't consider myself an old curmudgeon. I'm sure there are loads of well-behaved kids who are cruise veterans... I just haven't run into many. :)

If you have been loyal to Carnival, I’m surprised you don’t try one of their sister cruise lines like Princess or Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I am looking at them. One deterrent for using them is that loyalty programs don't crossover. Also have heard people have some problems with kids. I don't get MUCH with the current loyalty plan with Carnival but I don't really feel like starting over either. Ironically, the one thing I would like as a loyalty "perk" would be for the staff to actually LISTEN to me and DO something when I point out the terrible behavior of some kids.

We just got off an Alaska cruise and I was surprised at the lack of children even though it was summertime. Maybe it's the more expensive itinerary?

Even my children will tell you that unruly children can ruin your time.

Yes, I have seen other children complain about the out of control ones as well. As far as the price of the cruises, I have been on very long, expensive cruises during the school year and still had problems.

I've cruised Carnival twice - I'll likely never cruise that line again for the same reason I don't stay at Circus Circus or Treasure Island when I'm in Vegas: I don't want to deal with kids/teenagers and I'll pay more and schedule appropriately to minimize the number of < 21 year olds on a boat with me.

I've chosen longer cruises and/or cruise during school months. I've raised three kids and I'm under 50 - so I don't consider myself an old curmudgeon. I'm sure there are loads of well-behaved kids who are cruise veterans... I just haven't run into many. :)

So which cruise line did you switch to, and how are the kids?

EXACTLY!!! If you sail when kids are out of school you will find the ships on ALL cruise lines filled with kids......if you want lesser amounts of kids, choose times when they are in school (of course, some pax take kids out of school to cruise too...LOL). We always cruise when the chances of ships being over run with kids is slim to none and have never had a problem on CCL with problematic kids that are unsupervised in masses!! And I don't think that unsupervised kids during school holidays is specific to ONLY CCL....it is the same on all the mass cruise line (NCL, RCI in particular)......not much difference in the demographics of the passengers in general! (only the NCL and RCI pax will beg to differ on that!!)

As I said above, I don't.

I noticed more adults acting like spoiled unsupervised kids on Carnival than I ever saw Kids in NcL. To be fair, we have only sailed NCL to Alaska And Hawaii so far, but no issues. On Carnival W Car, I saw adults vomiting in the halls and drinking to excess everywhere. I won’t take my teens on Carnival even if it were free.

The "what about the drunk adults" answer is what I get from most of the people who swear THEIR kids are not misbehaving.

So which cruise line did you switch to, and how are the kids?

I’ve done NCL (Western Med last year and Cuba/Caribbean is booked for Oct) and Holland. I caught final Pacific Coast leg of a 21-day Eurodam Panama voyage, so makes sense not many kids on board. Of those, most were <5 yrs old.

On the Epic, there were more older kids/teens but because many school years had started, it wasn’t large amount. I do know some school districts do year-round and October is often a break month. It’s just a better choice overall (for me) than June/July.

The "what about the drunk adults" answer is what I get from most of the people who swear THEIR kids are not misbehaving.

BOTH were a problem on Carnival for me. I suppose *any* short weekend cruise will have same issues. But by time I worked my way up to laying out $$$$ for a relaxing trip, my patience with bad behavior (of all kind) dropped exponentially. :)