Unsupervised kids on ncl vs carnival

Thebosn1

I'm 47 years old and when I was a kid, ANY adult could correct you if your behavior was off and your parents weren't right there... and we as kids knew to buckle down and straighten out our behavior forthwith (last thing you'd want was for said adult to inform your folks--because then you'd be in REAL trouble).

So, I agree wholeheartedly with you...

But I have to say, nowadays I keep my mouth closed when I see misbehaving kids, because many are so out of control and disrespectful, they'll just curse you out, then go fetch their parents who'll pick up where the kids left off.

If I see truly dangerous behavior, I'll report it to the store/cruise/restaurant (or whatever) staff or call 911.

Completely agree. We used to get corrected by any adult, and we immediately obeyed (or ran off in shame)! About 2 years ago I stopped a kid of about 8 years in our neighborhood who was destroying public landscaping. All I said was something like. "Hey, you're destroying those plants. Don't do that." Whoa. That kid had the worst attitude I have ever seen. And yes his parent had an even worse attitude. Scary.

Same thing , try HAL or Princess.

hay, not so, the only advantage is there are less kids. When we were on HAL several years ago, doing the Panama canal I only saw 4 kids, 2 different families. The one family had 2, very well behaved young children. we would see them in the dining room at night. The other family, 2 also: brats from the beginning!!!

3 cruises on NCL Breakaway out of NYC: 1 during a spring break week. Kids out of control constantly. One squirted me in the face with a super soaker. Another during Columbus weekend was nearly as bad. A December cruise was much quieter and pleasant.

our experience on the Breakaway: I won't go into to detail but we saw a couple tweens horsing around and they knocked a lady's walker almost over: parents didn't say a word to hem: also, hubby has a mobility problem and I nicely asked a young girl who was laying across a couch if she could sit up so he could sit down? She said no and her parents said nothing to her.

I have only sailed on Carnival, and been loyal to them for over 13 years. Maybe its me getting older, but it seems that the unsupervised children running around and doing really disruptive and even dangerous stuff is just gotten completely out of control. The staff absolutely refuses to do anything about it. So I am thinking of changing lines and have been looking at NCL.

Can anyone that has sailed on both Carnival and NCL give me a comparison between the two when it comes to people keeping their kids under control? I'm not talking about kids just acting like kids and being loud or a little rammy I'm talking about completely unsupervised "packs" of young teens knocking elderly people down, throwing condiment bottles down ten decks in the atrium, invading the adults only area and refusing to leave. Are the kids allowed to run wild like this on NLC as well? Are there as MANY kids on NCL? Does the staff hold the adults accountable for the actions of the kids? Is there a curfew? Is there an adults only area like the serenity area on Carnival?

I don't really want to switch to new line just to come up against the same situation I see on Carnival now. Thanks.

I think it all depends on the time of year you cruise. 29 Carnival cruises and never ran into this problem. BUT, we don't cruise during summer months, or holiday weeks which avoids the times when there are lots of kids cruising.

Pat

We usually cruise in October/November and May when school is back in session. At these times there are no more than a handful of children onboard. Also we try and cruise for at least 10 or more days which tends to have an older crowd onboard, 50+.

We usually cruise in October/November and May when school is back in session. At these times there are no more than a handful of children onboard. Also we try and cruise for at least 10 or more days which tends to have an older crowd onboard, 50+.

People keep saying that. I have said above, I NEVER cruise when school is out, ever. And all all of my cruises are longer ones. People take their kids out of school to cruise now I guess.

I noticed more adults acting like spoiled unsupervised kids on Carnival than I ever saw Kids in NcL. To be fair, we have only sailed NCL to Alaska And Hawaii so far, but no issues. On Carnival W Car, I saw adults vomiting in the halls and drinking to excess everywhere. I won’t take my teens on Carnival even if it were free.

Glad to hear that as I'm on the 08/18 Breakaway Baltic and I have NO filter on my mouth when it comes to brats, yes I'm a parent and grand parent.

As a parent I would thank you for scolding my kids if they were ever out of control. I teach them to be respectful

I agree with you. I was telling my friend that when we were kids (I'm a little older than you ... but close) that any of my friend's parents could whoop our butts if we misbehaved. They had complete authorization from our parents to do what they thought was right for the situation.

My friend was APPALLED (she is 15 years OLDER than I am!). She could NOT imagine that style of parenting. But she is also a mom who cooked several different meals each night to keep her husband and kids happy. ??? That NEVER happened in our house.

So you are okay with other adults assaulting your kids? I don’t kit my children, my parents didn’t hit me, and there are zero behavior issues.

So you are okay with other adults assaulting your kids? I don’t kit my children, my parents didn’t hit me, and there are zero behavior issues.

Hahaha ... assault ... that's funny. It's discipline. WOW ... :rolleyes:

Notice I said 'My friends parents' ... this wasn't an open invitation for strangers to do the same thing. This was our group of friends ... parents were all friends ... the kids were all friends. Really ... slippery slope much?

Hahaha ... assault ... that's funny. It's discipline. WOW ... :rolleyes:

Notice I said 'My friends parents' ... this wasn't an open invitation for strangers to do the same thing. This was our group of friends ... parents were all friends ... the kids were all friends. Really ... slippery slope much?

Slippery slope?! Friends, relatives, none have my permission to hit my kids, and I’d never hit someone else’s kid. I don’t even know anyone who hits their kids. Discipline, of course, calling my kids out for misbehaving, absolutely. Do you even have children?

On most recent royal cruise, in the Windjammer, a lady left her kids, about 3 and 5, while she went thru the buffet line (I guess). The 5 yr old repeatedly slapped her little bro in the face. I finally walked up, told her STOP. I sat down, she hit him again, I returned, told her STOP. She finally did, checking me out of the corner of her eye. I was shocked how long the mom took to return to the kids.

Slippery slope?! Friends, relatives, none have my permission to hit my kids, and I’d never hit someone else’s kid. I don’t even know anyone who hits their kids. Discipline, of course, calling my kids out for misbehaving, absolutely. Do you even have children?

Yes I don’t personally know anyone that hits their kids or others’ kids. But absolutely I expect my friends to take action verbally if my kids are misbehaving, and I do the same

Yes I don’t personally know anyone that hits their kids or others’ kids. But absolutely I expect my friends to take action verbally if my kids are misbehaving, and I do the same

My mom had a paddle with holes in it and my dad had his belt. We were well acquainted with them. My older sister was babysitting us ... my brother did something ... who knows ... and she grabbed a cast iron pan and swung. He dodged, but she got him in his lower back/tailbone. It was the 60s / 70s. Different time. We survived eating mud & bugs and chewing on tall grass stalks (god knows what animal peed on it) and riding in the front seat of the car with no seat belts and riding bikes with no helmets or elbow/knee pads, we climbed trees and jumped off of boulders & walls/fences, we took our bikes out at sun up in the summer and came home for lunch and out again until dinner.

My mom had a paddle with holes in it and my dad had his belt. We were well acquainted with them. My older sister was babysitting us ... my brother did something ... who knows ... and she grabbed a cast iron pan and swung. He dodged, but she got him in his lower back/tailbone. It was the 60s / 70s. Different time. We survived eating mud & bugs and chewing on tall grass stalks (god knows what animal peed on it) and riding in the front seat of the car with no seat belts and riding bikes with no helmets or elbow/knee pads, we climbed trees and jumped off of boulders & walls/fences, we took our bikes out at sun up in the summer and came home for lunch and out again until dinner.

I was born in the 60’s, no paddle, no belt, no seatbelts, no helmets, it’s way easier but less effective to use corporal punishment. It’s also safer to use seatbelts and helmets, and I’ve ridden in my fair share of pickup beds. I started using seatbelts myself in the late 1980’s.

our experience on the Breakaway: I won't go into to detail but we saw a couple tweens horsing around and they knocked a lady's walker almost over: parents didn't say a word to hem: also, hubby has a mobility problem and I nicely asked a young girl who was laying across a couch if she could sit up so he could sit down? She said no and her parents said nothing to her.

This makes me see red, I have to admit. I have a lot of leg pain but I usually stand so that disabled DM or DH can sit, and I am not at all shy about asking people to scoot over so they can sit. If someone was taking up that much space and rudely not move I believe I would just have DM or DH sit anyway. Definitely, I would, and have, gotten loud when repeating the request. Every head turning to look might be a motivator, might not, but this is a push button topic for me.

I have only sailed on Carnival, and been loyal to them for over 13 years. Maybe its me getting older, but it seems that the unsupervised children running around and doing really disruptive and even dangerous stuff is just gotten completely out of control. The staff absolutely refuses to do anything about it. So I am thinking of changing lines and have been looking at NCL.

Can anyone that has sailed on both Carnival and NCL give me a comparison between the two when it comes to people keeping their kids under control? I'm not talking about kids just acting like kids and being loud or a little rammy I'm talking about completely unsupervised "packs" of young teens knocking elderly people down, throwing condiment bottles down ten decks in the atrium, invading the adults only area and refusing to leave. Are the kids allowed to run wild like this on NLC as well? Are there as MANY kids on NCL? Does the staff hold the adults accountable for the actions of the kids? Is there a curfew? Is there an adults only area like the serenity area on Carnival?

I don't really want to switch to new line just to come up against the same situation I see on Carnival now. Thanks.

If you have been loyal to Carnival, I’m surprised you don’t try one of their sister cruise lines like Princess or Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This makes me see red, I have to admit. I have a lot of leg pain but I usually stand so that disabled DM or DH can sit, and I am not at all shy about asking people to scoot over so they can sit. If someone was taking up that much space and rudely not move I believe I would just have DM or DH sit anyway. Definitely, I would, and have, gotten loud when repeating the request. Every head turning to look might be a motivator, might not, but this is a push button topic for me.

By the time we finished the cruise if we had never seen another kid it would have been too soon for us. even our daughter, who rarely says much negative about cruising told her own children, if their kids ever acted the way the kids did on that ship she would lock them in the cabin and those are her grandkids she was referring to. Even the last kid we saw getting off the ship and again a tween was rude and cut in front of us trying to get off before we did. She could tell hubby had a mobility problem and we were both past our prime.

I will make this clear, btw, we do not dislike kids Our own grand kids always thought we were he greatest grand parents ever and our great grand kids think the same. While our kids and grand kids were growing up, their friends always wanted to hang out at our house and we do volunteer work at 2 schools. So obviously the kids had to be pretty awful for us to complain.

If you have been loyal to Carnival, I’m surprised you don’t try one of their sister cruise lines like Princess or Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sounds like a good idea to me, but remember both the two you mentioned are totally different type of lines from Carnival. That might be a good thing, just wanted to mention that. We love HAL and most people over 65 do. Princess, is one of our least favorite lines,but I will let that go as this isn't a time to blast another line. This is about NCL verses Carnival.

I do not see this often on any cruise, but I may turn in for the evening before the problems increase. I also sail mostly when school is in session which certainly helps.

What I have seen is not cruise line specific. If the cruise has numbers of teens on board, there will be groups of unsupervised teens roaming the ship. Some of those groups will misbehave.

I do not see this often on any cruise, but I may turn in for the evening before the problems increase. I also sail mostly when school is in session which certainly helps.

What I have seen is not cruise line specific. If the cruise has numbers of teens on board, there will be groups of unsupervised teens roaming the ship. Some of those groups will misbehave.

Surprisingly I haven't seen teens out of control, but like you we seem to retire to our cabin for the night pretty early. It is mostly the tweens we have seen totally misbehave and being down right rude or the pre schoolers who's parents seem to think it is ok for them to run up and down in the buffet or hog all setting areas in the atrium. And then those who are in the shows when they would probably have more fun at the kids camp. They seem to think they do not have to be quiet when the entertainers come on stage I have even seen a few families with kids in strollers at the shows. This isn't the kids fault it is the parents fault. If you are doing to bring toddlers on board which is fine, you do have to realize there will be activities you will have to not be part of, including the evening entertainment.

I haven't encountered problems on NCL (2 Breakaway cruises from NYC to Bermuda). Have another one to Bermuda coming up soon.

I think the worst behavior I personally witnessed was on DCL actually - kids running down the hallways knocking on all the cabin doors. I opened ours and calmly informed them that they needed to stop. They did (or maybe they went to another deck). I think they were kind of shocked that someone actually said something to them. Some of these parents may take cruises to get ****faced and let their kids do whatever they want, but the rest of us with standards need to keep bad behaviors from becoming "normalized".

I've got triplets and am certainly busy minding my own kids and making sure they behave, but I don't have any problems saying something to unsupervised kids doing the wrong thing.

Don't sail during school holidays.....

EXACTLY!!! If you sail when kids are out of school you will find the ships on ALL cruise lines filled with kids......if you want lesser amounts of kids, choose times when they are in school (of course, some pax take kids out of school to cruise too...LOL). We always cruise when the chances of ships being over run with kids is slim to none and have never had a problem on CCL with problematic kids that are unsupervised in masses!! And I don't think that unsupervised kids during school holidays is specific to ONLY CCL....it is the same on all the mass cruise line (NCL, RCI in particular)......not much difference in the demographics of the passengers in general! (only the NCL and RCI pax will beg to differ on that!!)