Liberty Of The Seas internet?

We booked a cruise with friends in November, which is also our busy time at work and this year we’ve been abnormally busy and I’m afraid of what my inbox will look like when I get back from our 7 day.

This is our first time cruising on Royal and first time considering buying an internet package. Is the internet pretty decent? Essentially, I just need to be able to download large word documents from outlook and use basic web pages, nothing crazy. I really don’t want to waste money and time if the internet connection sucks

Internet on the ship sucks horribly.

Ping time or latency delay is in the 600mS range. Depending on time of day, which way you are facing, and whether you are standing on one leg with left arm stretched out,,, your connection speed could be 200Kbps or it could get as lightning fast as 3Mbps.

We pre-purchased the Voom package that also included streaming for our LOS cruise in May. We were pleasantly surprised at the speed and connectivity. Never had an issue getting on, emails were sent quickly, and I had no issues at all streaming Amazon and Netflix movies. We only bought it for one device, so I would disconnect my tablet and connect my phone in order to make WiFi calls that did not incur any charges while at sea.

The new Voom is much better than the old RCCL internet service. Our previous experience with the old system was in 2014 and my husband desperately needed to download some well reports and send in an election and nothing would load. He ended up in an internet cafe on the pier in Cozumel taking care of business,

In fact we still haven't watched the movies we downloaded in case the internet was bad. We will save those for cruises on Carnival where even the best internet packages really do suck.

Ping time or latency delay is in the 600mS range. Depending on time of day, which way you are facing, and whether you are standing on one leg with left arm stretched out,,, your connection speed could be 200Kbps or it could get as lightning fast as 3Mbps.

The ping is more likely to be around 200ms, Liberty has the newer O3B service. Yes, it can get slow at times, but it should be much better than on ships without O3B and can be up to 5 Mbps download speed.