Would you cruise the Mediterranean in August?

midgecruiser

A good friend of mine is getting married August 5th and was asking me for some cruise suggestions for her Honeymoon (she knows I'm a cruise addict:)). With the Noordam's inaugural season and she will be cruising the Med. this summer I thought it would be a great suggestion. However, is it true that everything is closed for "holiday" in August. I would hate for her to make the trip and be disappointed. Any thoughts? Thanks, Wendy

I don't know if it is still true, but I remember that most of France goes on holiday in August. Paris used to be practically deserted that month, with all major attractions shut down. The art galleries were still open though. You and your friend may find that the ships are crowded with French-speaking people. Then again, the Med. may be no different than any other tourist destination.

Absolutely we'd cruise the Med in August. We have in the past and fully intend to again some day. It is glorious.

A honeymoon on the brand new Noordam, in the Med, in August..........I don't think it could get much better. :)

The only time we cruised the Med was in August and as you mentioned a lot of Europe closes down for that month.......the kids are out of school for only 5-6 weeks. You will still find all of the tourist shops open and all of the tours up and running. It`s mainly the smaller restaurants, hotels, stores that close down for that time period. You may find more Europeans on your cruise though.........jean:cool:

I cruised the Greek Isles, Mediterranean, in August. Most definitely the time of my life, beautiful weather, it could not have been more perfect. You and/or your friend will undoubtely have a dream of a vacation/honeymoon.:D

Thanks for all the feed back. I WISH that this was my cruise but I'm really asking for my friends who wants a great honeymoon. It sounds like it should still be a wonderful time to see the Med. They won't mind the heat or Europeans. It's summer and they will be in Europe for the first time so they will love the experience. As Sail7seas said "I don't think it could get much better". Unless we were going:) . I will have to plan this trip for another year for myself. My husband and I will be on the Westerdam in Feb. and are planning a New England/Canada trip for this fall. So maybe next year for us. Thanks for the info. Wendy

August is actualy one of the best times to cruise the med (i am a brit, so it is our backwater) The main advantages are the weather will be at its best, the bay of biscay, if you have to venture into it, should be fine - most of the rest of the year it can be so rough as to make even the strongest stomach ill.

Most of europe including us brits, are on holiday at the time of year, and there will as a result be a lot of eurpean passengers on board. However as other posters have said, all the attractions will be open

I have done four Med cruises, one in late July, early August. No, never again.

Too many kids on the ship and in the ports, which were jammed.

Way too hot in Italy, which was our destination.

Many places are closed in August for vacation in Italy.

I have been to Italy and the Med 15 times and I would not go in August. For the money spent, there are much better times to go.

Archived